Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, it has certainly been a long two days, but I'm finally back from cambridge! Since you are all keen to know (or perhaps not) maybe I should tell you about my interviews...

First of all, they were NOTHING like expected - I had revised all this really clever stuff but none of it was asked. I wasn't asked my interests, my reasons for choosing philosophy, about my personal statement, anything! Nothing general at all which is a shame. In fact, I got into the interviews and they just kinda plunged me straight away into all sorts of weird questions on what I would do in certain situations and what I think of certain arguments. One of the interviews went through the written test which I did the evening before..which they said was done amazingly well (But hey, maybe they say that to everyone to be encouraging?)

My answers were alright I SUPPOSE. They could probably tell my voice was shaking all the way through and I was being VERY inarticulate. They did try and challenge what I said but I kept my ground reasonably well.

What I noticed was that the interviews seemed to be SO short that I didn't think they covered much at all - i don't think they really got to know me or know what my potential is...it was such a quick hazy blur both times!!

I'm a bit blank now, and I'm almost certain I won't get in (judging from the apparently brightness of all the other applicants). I heard they'll accept about 4 people out of well over 20 which is bizarre if true. I certainly am not expecting to get an offer - however, I must say it will be heartbreaking not to when my two days here have led me to get SO attached to cambridge, the atmosphere and the types of people...it would really be wonderful to go there.

Any other questions, please ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Well, it has certainly been a long two days, but I'm finally back from cambridge! Since you are all keen to know (or perhaps not) maybe I should tell you about my interviews...

First of all, they were NOTHING like expected - I had revised all this really clever stuff but none of it was asked. I wasn't asked my interests, my reasons for choosing philosophy, about my personal statement, anything! Nothing general at all which is a shame. In fact, I got into the interviews and they just kinda plunged me straight away into all sorts of weird questions on what I would do in certain situations and what I think of certain arguments. One of the interviews went through the written test which I did the evening before..which they said was done amazingly well (But hey, maybe they say that to everyone to be encouraging?)

My answers were alright I SUPPOSE. They could probably tell my voice was shaking all the way through and I was being VERY inarticulate. They did try and challenge what I said but I kept my ground reasonably well.

What I noticed was that the interviews seemed to be SO short that I didn't think they covered much at all - i don't think they really got to KNOW me or know what my potential is...it was such a quick hazy blur both times!!

I'm a bit blank now, and I'm almost certain I won't get in (judging from the apparently brightness of all the other applicants). I heard they'll accept about 4 people out of well over 20 which is bizarre if true. I certainly am not expecting to get an offer - however, I must say it will be heartbreaking not to when my two days here have led me to get SO attached to cambridge, the atmosphere and the types of people...it would really be wonderful to go there.

As long as you gave it your best shot you should be proud of yourself!

ReputationRep:
    So did you find it alright then - I mean, the people at my school came back saying the people were a bit anal, the interviewers were rude (like one guy was just looking at his shoes the whole time, and another had his eyes closed).

I wouldnt worry about the other applicants. I think you can work to appear smarter than you are. But then at the end of the dya, you did good to get that far and if you dont get a place then just think - they might have reckoned that you might not have made it (not meaning to sound rude).

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed mate. Standing you ground is a good thing, a short interview could also mean that you were a shoe in to begin with, or not of course.

ReputationRep:
    what questions did they ask you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    what questions did they ask you?
    What are the flaws of induction, what is a circular argument, why is murder wrong, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    What are the flaws of induction, what is a circular argument, why is murder wrong, etc etc.
    They didn't plan on making it easy I see.

ReputationRep:
    Father of Blamps - where did the interview take place? What was the interviewer like?

ReputationRep:

What I noticed was that the interviews seemed to be SO short that I didn't think they covered much at all - i don't think they really got to know me or know what my potential is...it was such a quick hazy blur both times!!

thanks alot for sharing ..

wht's the written test all about ??

gd luck to u

ReputationRep:
    what course and which college did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew0421)
    what course and which college did you apply?
    Natural Science (Bio) at Robinson College ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    Father of Blamps - where did the interview take place? What was the interviewer like?
    You talking to me? lol.

Clare college, Cambridge.

The interviewers were actually really friendly - but they do tend to give you looks which say "you sound like a loony". I heard they did that with all the philosophy applicants. They didn't seem to smile or give any indication as to whether they liked the answers.

ReputationRep:
    You talking to me? lol.

Clare college, Cambridge.

The interviewers were actually really friendly - but they do tend to give you looks which say "you sound like a loony". I heard they did that with all the philosophy applicants. They didn't seem to smile or give any indication as to whether they liked the answers.
    Theyre not supposed to. They want to freak you out, and see if you crack uinder pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Theyre not supposed to. They want to freak you out, and see if you crack uinder pressure.
    lol!!! And to think I actually tried to be funny...and they didn't even TRY to laugh to boost my self confidence. So there I was laughing on my own....*shivers at the thought*

ReputationRep:
    I certainly am not expecting to get an offer - however, I must say it will be heartbreaking not to when my two days here have led me to get SO attached to cambridge, the atmosphere and the types of people...it would really be wonderful to go there.
    Totally agree with this - the whole process just made me hyperaware of what I will be missing out on if I am rejected.

Oh well...just another 20 or so days to go!

a.

ReputationRep:
    lol!!! And to think I actually tried to be funny...and they didn't even TRY to laugh to boost my self confidence. So there I was laughing on my own....*shivers at the thought*
    lol, what jokes did you crack?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe...I think I managed to get my law interviewers to titter a bit, but they were probably laughing AT me. Waaah.

a.

ReputationRep:
    firstly, well done u sound like u did ur best - at least u didn't freeze up in the interview like i did for the first 1/2 of mine. just forget about it (try not to get PISsed )

2nd - sum of the interviewers do freeze u up a bit, even if they dont mean to. My first interviewer stared at me when I stuck my hand out to shake his, and generally gave me a blank look when I sed anything outside the academic stuff......... tho he did ask me to tell him what I was good/bad at so he wouldnt ask the wrong Qs.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps that's the problem with Philosophy - it's subjective. What you find amusing perhaps they saw no humour in it!
    Whatever the outcome Adshur, you'll do well wherever you go. You have all the right attributes to be successful and it doesn't matter if Clare rejects you - that's their loss!
    However, if you do get an offer, remember you still have to achieve it

ReputationRep:
    adhsur the questions you were asked are elementary to anyone studying philosophy

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.