Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am disillusioned with Christianty and I am thinking of converting to Judaism. I have been attending the local Synagogue and I think the religion is right for me and matches my belief system identically. The Rabbi said he is quite happy for me to attend, but when I ask him how to convert to Judaism he says 'you could never become a Jew' and I get the feeling he somehow finds it bemusing that I asked the question. He is not very helpful and seems to always avoid the question when I get to speak to him (he is a very busy man, so I have only managed to speak to him a few times). I am also worried that if I become Jewish will it mean I will have to be circumcised? Is it possible to be an uncircumcised Jew? I am worried about how painful it would be. If it was done from when I was born then it would be fine, but now that I have grown it is worrying to think about the procedure. Also, I know race is involved with being Jewish, but does that mean I cannot convert?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Grade Student)
    I am disillusioned with Christianty and I am thinking of converting to Judaism. I have been attending the local Synagogue and I think the religion is right for me and matches my belief system identically. The Rabbi said he is quite happy for me to attend, but when I ask him how to convert to Judaism he says 'you could never become a Jew' and I get the feeling he somehow finds it bemusing that I asked the question. He is not very helpful and seems to always avoid the question when I get to speak to him (he is a very busy man, so I have only managed to speak to him a few times). I am also worried that if I become Jewish will it mean I will have to be circumcised? Is it possible to be an uncircumcised Jew? I am worried about how painful it would be. If it was done from when I was born then it would be fine, but now that I have grown it is worrying to think about the procedure. Also, I know race is involved with being Jewish, but does that mean I cannot convert?

I'm not sure how Jews fell about converts. I'm sure you could find something on Google that would be useful though

ReputationRep:
    You can become a jew by the reform synagogue or orthodox synagogue. The orthodox synagogue has stricter rules than the reform. If you want to fully convert and be recognised as a member of the jewish family, i'm afraid you'll have to under-go a circumcision. Rabbis try and put people joining off the religion because it is a difficult religion to keep and it will change the way you live your life should you choose to keep the religion. The rabbi is wrong in saying you can never become a jew, he is probably trying to put you off; maybe for your own benefit.

Many jewish people would find it offensive to call judaism a race; it's a religion.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, and i'll do my best to answer them.

Hey,
    well i know you checked out judaism but seriously check out islam its an open community, and i know teh propaganda isnt exactly that great because of what the media protrays it as such as terrorism but its not like this at all. My dad converted from christianity and trust me you can convert no matter what race. its accepted no matter who or what you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Grade Student)
    No you don't have to be circumsised, it's optional. Of course most boys have it when they're born and a few have it if they convert, but don't worry because it's optional.
    I don't know why the Rabbi said that. Maybe ask a different one. Most Rabbis like you to prove how much you want to be Jewish before converting you. So therefore, if you did attend the synagogue regularly, he should say yes. However, you have to keep asking. I was told a story about this, can't remember the whole thing but the Rabbi kept saying no and the person who wanted to convert kept asking, so he attended the synagogue etc etc and then he asked him again and he said yes. Show your keeness and don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    The reason the Rabbi said you would never be classed as a jew is because your mother is not jewish, therefore you will never be a 'real' Jew. The Rabbi may be putting you off because Jews are seen as the 'chosen' people but just keep trying.
    Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    why do you want to convert to judaism, what makes the religion so interesting, isn't it similar to christianity, you're gonna become an israili, you'll begin to believe to kill!! just like the americans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishrat)
    you're gonna become an israili, you'll begin to believe to kill!!
    Stfu.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need organised religion anyway? Believe what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishrat)
    why do you want to convert to judaism, what makes the religion so interesting, isn't it similar to christianity, you're gonna become an israili, you'll begin to believe to kill!! just like the americans
    P*** off you fool.

ReputationRep:
    not all jews are israeli....in fact there are even rabbis opposed to israel.

also i didnt know it was possible to convert to judaism? im not being funny when i say it but thats what ive heard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by everyguysdream)
    The reason the Rabbi said you would never be classed as a jew is because your mother is not jewish, therefore you will never be a 'real' Jew. The Rabbi may be putting you off because Jews are seen as the 'chosen' people but just keep trying.
    Good Luck.
    aahhhhhhhh see thats what i meant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    not all jews are israeli....in fact there are even rabbis opposed to israel.

also i didnt know it was possible to convert to judaism? im not being funny when i say it but thats what ive heard?
    Course it's possible!!!
    And what exactly is wrong with being Israeli? Im Jewish and not Israeli, in fact hardly any Jews in England are Israeli. But I want to be an Israeli.

It makes me sick that people say all Israelis want to do is kill, because that's just the opposite. They want peace!!!!! Israel is surrounded by enemies and want to live in peace. They can't even go on a bus without having the fear of being blown up.

So all of you who think that, get your facts right before you start thinking Israelis are out to kill. And if you do think that, I can't change what you think but you don't have to say such rediculous things because it's very offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Course it's possible!!!
    And what exactly is wrong with being Israeli? Im Jewish and not Israeli, in fact hardly any Jews in England are Israeli. But I want to be an Israeli.

It makes me sick that people say all Israelis want to do is kill, because that's just the opposite. They want peace!!!!! Israel is surrounded by enemies and want to live in peace. They can't even go on a bus without having the fear of being blown up.

So all of you who think that, get your facts right before you start thinking Israelis are out to kill. And if you do think that, I can't change what you think but you don't have to say such rediculous things because it's very offensive.

helllo????? that wasnt my point at all. i simply pointed out not all jews are israeli!

ReputationRep:
    Course it's possible!!!

but if you convert are you still a proper jew?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    I'm not really sure. But if you convert you are still regarded as a Jew, especially Liberal. Just because you're not born Jewish it doesn't always mean you aren't a proper Jew. I'm a orthodox Jew but I think that anyone who converts to Judiasm is Jewish, so I have similar beliefs to the Liberal.

The Rabbi should be, and probaly is, flattered that someone wants to convert. But like I said earlier, you do need to prove that you're keen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    helllo????? that wasnt my point at all. i simply pointed out not all jews are israeli!
    Hello!!! I wasn't just talking to you. Sorry if you thought that.

ReputationRep:
    Course it's possible!!!

There is nothing wrong with being Israeli. If israel wants peace then why do they kill Palestinians, is it fair that palestinian children have to dodge bullets and a curfew in order to go to school everyday. Why can't Israel even stick to its own side of a peace plan? Palestinians can't go outside for fear of being shot. Israelis are not the only ones out to kill, so are some Palestinians. What would happen if Israel was invaded (apart from the use of nukes), israelis would fight back. Well that is what the Palestinians are doing, some random beauracrats turned around and said that country over there is going to become a new country after the guilt at the end of WWII. Unfortunately they forgot that there were people living there, what arab states dislike is that the west decided it could impose a new country in the middle of an existing one against the wishes of the people (is that democracy?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    There is nothing wrong with being Israeli. If israel wants peace then why do they kill Palestinians, is it fair that palestinian children have to dodge bullets and a curfew in order to go to school everyday. Why can't Israel even stick to its own side of a peace plan? Palestinians can't go outside for fear of being shot. Israelis are not the only ones out to kill, so are some Palestinians. What would happen if Israel was invaded (apart from the use of nukes), israelis would fight back. Well that is what the Palestinians are doing, some random beauracrats turned around and said that country over there is going to become a new country after the guilt at the end of WWII. Unfortunately they forgot that there were people living there, what arab states dislike is that the west decided it could impose a new country in the middle of an existing one against the wishes of the people (is that democracy?).
    Please don't hi-jack this thread with one saying is Israel is wrong in killing people and the poor palestinians etc. There are other threads which discuss this. This one is about Judaism, nothing about Israelis.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2004
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.