Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    well u would need some boundries right?
    I suppose, you cant have religion without regulations.

(Original post by Jonatan)
    Another moron who has not understood teh difference between an Israeli and a Jew. There are lots of muslim Israelis you know? In fact, If Im not mistaken about 40% of all israelis are muslims.

I strongly suspect this post was put here just to provoke, but I found it worth comenting to it anyways.
    You ARE mistaken, get over it
    J
    "Israel's total population in 2002 is 6.5 million people"
    "The sub-division is 81% Jews, 19% Arabs or Muslims (they tend to define themselves as Palestinians with Israeli identity cards)."

And remember that some of the arabs are christian

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here wanna hear my views on religion?

I just spent ages typing it all out, then realised it was a bit off topic, lol, so I saved it on my hard drive. And I tend to annoy people when I moan about religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phreek)
    I suppose, you cant have religion without regulations.
    also, some religions give you many ideas and hints as too how you should live your life, so you would't know if you were doing the right things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

Did you know that there's a name for god in hebrew or some ancient language and if it is said it is supposedly supposed to kill someone if aimed at them.
    This is what i mean by religions brainwashing people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    sounds more like an old myth then a brainwashing to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phreek)
    How come there arent any mainstream religions which let you do whatever you want? Surely enough people believe in selfishness?
    Most religions deal with what is right or wrong, morally. What you seem to be looking for is an explanation of the world which do not say anything about moral or ethical values. I wonder if you could even call such a beleif religion as a fundamental part of almost every religion is the morals and ethics...

ReputationRep:
    I would disagree. Religion do not brainwash people. People do. (This sounds like Charles Heston saying guns dont kill people...)

The point is that brainwashing is not the same thing as stating your beleif. Brainwashing is more of a way to force people to accept your opinions. Thus if I tell you that you will die if I speak the name of god, that is not brainwashing. However, if I have you repeat it after me a million times, and read it to you in your sleep, then you could very well say that I am trying to brainwash you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Christianity worships Jesus, Judaism doesn't.
    Judaism believes you are jewish if your mother is, i think christianity is the other way around.
    Christianity if you don't believe in Jesus, you go to hell. Judaism doesn't believe this.
    Judaism has circumcision, christianity doesn't
    Judaism has the 10 commandments, the basic principles for living. I don't believe christianity does.
    Judaism has dietary laws (kashrut), christinaity doesn't.
    Judaism has the Torah (a scroll with the bible written on it) Christianity doesn't; they have the old or new testament :confused:

I'll think of some more stuff.

It's too harsh to say Chrsitains believe if you don't believe in Jesus you go to Hell. It's a little unclear and certainly faith is important but it is never said by Jesus that only Christians will receive salvation. It is generally accepted by many Christians, as far as I know, that good people will enter the Kingdom of God.

Christianity does indeed have the 10 commandments and they are a very central part of the religion.

Judaism has the Old Testament, Christianity has both the Old and New Testament.

Basically Jesus was born a Jew, and he created a New Religion, Christianity. Christians believe Jesus is the Son of God but Jews do not. Christianity grew out of Judaism and shares many of the same principles. Jesus said, "I did not come to replace the Old Laws but to add to them" (not exact quote but this is the gist of it, from the Sermon on the Mount.) Some people accepted Jesus' teaching and that he was the Son of God and they converted. Those who didn't remained Jews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Did you know that there's a name for god in hebrew or some ancient language and if it is said it is supposedly supposed to kill someone if aimed at them.

I've never heard that story, but I know there are some of Jesus' words in the Gospels which were left in the original Aramaic so they could retain the power they had when used by Jesus.

When He brought Jairus' daughter back to life, He said, "Talitha, koum." which means "Little girl, I tell you to get up." It was kept as this so it could be used by early Christians to heal.

Also when Jesus is dying of the cross he said, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" These words are supposedly very powerful so kept in the original language.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

Religion is a totally optional thing. In Judaism, probaly the same with other religions, most people follow some things and don't keep others. The really religious people would try and keep it all, but that's their choice, it's optional. They aren't forced. I know loads of people who aren't religious but like to be Jewish still. Nothing is forced, you do it for your own belief and faith.

ReputationRep:
    To the person who was thinking of conversion:

None of us on the message board know you or much about you. In this sense any advice we give you is likely to be fairly superficial. As a Jew, and, therefore, someone who repsects admires and cares greatly for anyone thinking of conversion to Judasim I want to give you the best advice possible. It is this: Talk your feelings through with people who you feel relate to you best. Tell them what's going through your mind and talk it out with them. Also, I would advise you to make an appointment with an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi in order to tell him what's going through your mind. You will feel all the better for this - some 'you' time, undivided attention on your thoughts so that he can talk through with you what to do next. It is said in Judaism that converts enjoy the highest status - as high as the great Rabbis held up as shining examples to all Jews - as they saw the light from afar. This is certainly reflected warmly in the love and affection that every Jew feels for converts. It does not matter which race you are from, if your values and beliefs are at one with Judasim you can find a home there.

I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to PM me with any questions at all.

B'Ahava (With love)

ReputationRep:
    PS. I also want to tell you that the word in Hebrew for a convert is a 'ger' coming from the verb 'lagoor' which means to live. This is because Judaism is a family and all the people who live there, converts or born Jews, are members of the family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Not at all.

Religion is a totally optional thing. In Judaism, probaly the same with other religions, most people follow some things and don't keep others. The really religious people would try and keep it all, but that's their choice, it's optional. They aren't forced. I know loads of people who aren't religious but like to be Jewish still. Nothing is forced, you do it for your own belief and faith.
    I can't be arsed to paste the whole lot,

But weren't religions originally used to keep control of people? I can't think of any specific examples, it's been ages since we looked at this kind of stuff in History.

But... no, I'm not gonna talk about the whole reason why I don't like religion. Well basically, organised religions create so many splits and prejudices, why not just encourage people to believe exactly what they want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I can't be arsed to paste the whole lot,

But weren't religions originally used to keep control of people? I can't think of any specific examples, it's been ages since we looked at this kind of stuff in History.

But... no, I'm not gonna talk about the whole reason why I don't like religion. Well basically, organised religions create so many splits and prejudices, why not just encourage people to believe exactly what they want?

Yes, it's true sometimes religions was. But at those times the religious elite were corrupt and it was a real oligarchy. But it was no worse that any empires at the time. Everyone was oppressed in those days.

People now are free to make their own choices and there is no longer any feeling that they should be of a particular religion, or any religion. People are free to believe what they want, but organised religions mean a chance for people to get together with others who share their beliefs.

When nowadays it would be easier to not follow a religion, why would people do it if they were being oppressed? People still have a very medieval view of religion; it's not like that any more.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree that religion is brainwashing, true that a child will probably be brought up in the religion of his/her parents but as the child reaches gets older they will slowly make there own decision and decide on what religion if any they want to follow.
    BTW every person is brainwashed to an extent, your parents probably told you not to run into a road in front of a car!! But in the end its you that makes the final decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhino)
    I disagree that religion is brainwashing, true that a child will probably be brought up in the religion of his/her parents but as the child reaches gets older they will slowly make there own decision and decide on what religion if any they want to follow.
    BTW every person is brainwashed to an extent, your parents probably told you not to run into a road in front of a car!! But in the end its you that makes the final decision.
    Well yeah...

I don't see how someone, except a little kid, can have blind unquestionable faith in their religion. I find it uncomfortable to even attempt to believe anything about God and other ultimate questions without any kind of proof. I also don't like totally dismissing the idea of God as immediately then I try and think up scientific explanations for things and realise I can't. But you can't use things like "What caused the Big Bang" as an argument for the existance of God, because both science and religion offer answers for that and they are both as respectable as one another.

What pisses me off is that we had a question in our RE mock exam. "God is not real." Do you agree? Explain your answer, showing you have thought about more than one point of view. And I tried to explain why I'm agnostic, and how both sides say stuff (I even gave examples I think) and how I think that both science and religion are theory but the scientific theories have generally been more logical than the religious ones. And I only got 2/5. . Still got A* in the whole exam though, I did very well on the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Also, remember the thing a while ago that said how omniscience and omnipotency were contradictory. And the guy who posted it said it would be interesting to see a devoted theist's response.

Did any really religious theists actually reply? Or did they admit defeat? Or was the conversation too intelligent for them to get their heads round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    I would disagree. Religion do not brainwash people. People do. (This sounds like Charles Heston saying guns dont kill people...)

The point is that brainwashing is not the same thing as stating your beleif. Brainwashing is more of a way to force people to accept your opinions. Thus if I tell you that you will die if I speak the name of god, that is not brainwashing. However, if I have you repeat it after me a million times, and read it to you in your sleep, then you could very well say that I am trying to brainwash you...

Thank you for informing oh philosopher...i think i shall be turning onto you for spiritual guidance from now on!

When someone blurts out a stupid comment like 'oh there's this name in this ancient language for God, if you say it you might kill someone' what the hell do you call that? Secondly this is directed to the the person who said that comment...how does god have a name in hebrew you moron? its not ITS name its what people refer to The Creator as ok...and another thing whats peoples' obsessions with not being able to call God GOD and they have to resort to calling him G-D...its not a frickin' swear word and neither is it offensive...'oooooooohhhhh im going to hell because i didnt hyphonate one of the letters in Gods name :eek: !

Please get some sense....

hey GOD ... ooops ive just killed someone...ooooh that means im going to hell!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    how does god have a name in hebrew you moron? its not ITS name its what people refer to The Creator as ok...and another thing whats peoples' obsessions with not being able to call God GOD and they have to resort to calling him G-D...its not a frickin' swear word and neither is it offensive...'oooooooohhhhh im going to hell because i didnt hyphonate one of the letters in Gods name :eek: !
    I'm not religious at all.

But I do know that it is a Jewish tradition not to write the real name of God, which is God, surprisingly enough. But because they don't want to be using it in vain, they write G-d instead so people know who they're on about but they're not actually quoting God's name. In fact, some Jews believe that God's real name should only be used in worship or praise and all other times they want to refer to him they should use G-d, otherwise it will be using his name in vain.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, I'm not trying to be ignorant, just put to use some knowledge I've picked up from the internet and my multicultural friends. And I think people who are being a bit ignorant and taking the pee like ThornsnRoses should be put right.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.