The Student Room Group

Close reading Nab

Hi. I have my higher close reading nab tommorow, what should i expect?

Should i read both passages then answer questions, or read one passage then do questions on passage 1 then same for passage 2?

Also how does the NAB passage compare to past papers?

Also if in evaluation questions where I am answering questions on effect , would criticism of a particular technique be seen as a valid answer, for example if the writer uses a similie and I find it unconvincing, is it Okay if I say that the writer could of used a more accurate similie, as the comparison of the two subjects could of been more precise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Z_Ahmed
Hi. I have my higher close reading nab tommorow, what should i expect?

Should i read both passages then answer questions, or read one passage then do questions on passage 1 then same for passage 2?

Also how does the NAB passage compare to past papers?

Also if in evaluation questions where I am answering questions on effect , would criticism of a particular technique be seen as a valid answer, for example if the writer uses a similie and I find it unconvincing, is it Okay if I say that the writer could of used a more accurate similie, as the comparison of the two subjects could of been more precise.

If I remember correctly, there's just one passage in the NAB. The standard is pretty much the same as past exam papers as well. :yep:
Reply 2
Just sat the nab, were two passages. It was a passages about stress and information overload.
Reply 3
Hmm... That's strange. The practice NAB's we've done have all been 30 markers with one passage.
Wait, you sat a 50 mark one for the nab?!

hmmm... as people have said, most people only do one passage.
Reply 5
spacepirate-James
Wait, you sat a 50 mark one for the nab?!

hmmm... as people have said, most people only do one passage.

Yep it was 50 marker, and we had the double period to do it which is 115 minutes which was enough time.
Reply 6
Z_Ahmed
Yep it was 50 marker, and we had the double period to do it which is 115 minutes which was enough time.

It obviously wasn't a NAB then. You simply don't get 50 mark close reading NABs and they are never on two passages. I'm shocked you were able to do a 50 mark close reading in a double period :eek:
Just out of curiosity, what were the titles of the passages?
Reply 7
jackwka
It obviously wasn't a NAB then. You simply don't get 50 mark close reading NABs and they are never on two passages. I'm shocked you were able to do a 50 mark close reading in a double period :eek:
Just out of curiosity, what were the titles of the passages?

It WAS a NAB, I'm sure. I sat it.

The titles were Info Besity, but I can't remember the other one. Something about Stress. We didn't just get a double period, we got extra 10 mins today.
Regarding the two passage NAB the OP is right. We actually done one for a second "prelim" under exam conditions, though the actual NAB we doe was a one passage 30 marker. Incidentally I think ours was also related to stress.
Reply 9
D8VH 12 NAB001
October 2009
Tragic Beauty
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB002
October 2009
Reaching for the Moon
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB003
October 2009
Shoulder to Shoulder
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB004
October 2009
Bottom of the Barrel
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB005
October 2009
The Defining Myth
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB006
October 2009
Master or Servant
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB007 October 2009 A Better Life
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB008 October 2009 The World's Language
D8VH 12 NAB009 October 2009 Boys and Girls Coume Out to Play
D8VH 12 NAB010 October 2009 Scottish Identity
D8VH 12 NAB011 October 2009 The Cultural Cringe
D8VH 12 NAB012 October 2009 The Railway Man

These are the only NABs valid for use. Is it any of these?

Btw OP, I don't want to come across as calling you a liar or anything, sorry If I have!
Reply 10
jackwka
D8VH 12 NAB001
October 2009
Tragic Beauty
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB002
October 2009
Reaching for the Moon
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB003
October 2009
Shoulder to Shoulder
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB004
October 2009
Bottom of the Barrel
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB005
October 2009
The Defining Myth
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB006
October 2009
Master or Servant
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB007 October 2009 A Better Life
Revised

D8VH 12 NAB008 October 2009 The World's Language
D8VH 12 NAB009 October 2009 Boys and Girls Coume Out to Play
D8VH 12 NAB010 October 2009 Scottish Identity
D8VH 12 NAB011 October 2009 The Cultural Cringe
D8VH 12 NAB012 October 2009 The Railway Man

These are the only NABs valid for use. Is it any of these?

Btw OP, I don't want to come across as calling you a liar or anything, sorry If I have!

Yes, passage 1 was the Defining Myth, while passage 2 was Info-Besity. My friends think only passage 1 will be marked, and based our mark on, but i don't really know.

No worries.
Possibly your teacher wanted to combine getting the NAB out of the way with giving you some exam practice. I forget how much time you get for the close reading, but I think we got 1h45, which is slightly shorter than you got.
Reply 12
TheUnbeliever
Possibly your teacher wanted to combine getting the NAB out of the way with giving you some exam practice. I forget how much time you get for the close reading, but I think we got 1h45, which is slightly shorter than you got.

Unbeliever is nearest the mark. Some NABs are available which contain two passages. Scoring 15 or more from the first 30 marks gets you a NAB pass, and answering on 2nd and both passages provides full CR practice. Two birds - one stone. Wise teacher:wink:
Reply 13
hiya...my name is ali...n am studyin in 5th year...can yew plz tel me frm where i can download higher eng nab The Railway Man?
Reply 14
ali1122
hiya...my name is ali...n am studyin in 5th year...can yew plz tel me frm where i can download higher eng nab The Railway Man?

Simple: no-where.
Reply 15
hiya am havin higher eng close readin nab tmorw..ano itz about the railway man..plz can smbdy gv me notz abouh tha nab the railway man?
ali1122
hiya am havin higher eng close readin nab tmorw..ano itz about the railway man..plz can smbdy gv me notz abouh tha nab the railway man?

Nobody's going to help you cheat - where's the incentive? You shouldn't even know which NAB is going to be used.
Reply 17
A Large Town In France
Nobody's going to help you cheat - where's the incentive? You shouldn't even know which NAB is going to be used.

This.
Reply 18
Does anyone anything about the 'Reaching for the moon' nab for higher english. Do you know where I might be able to find it or do you have any tips on it in general
Reply 19
Original post by Alex259
Does anyone anything about the 'Reaching for the moon' nab for higher english. Do you know where I might be able to find it or do you have any tips on it in general

You won't find it anywhere, all nabs are not in the public domain

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending