The Student Room Group

Does anybody else do English AS Level and HATE it

I used to be good all throughout school like getting A*s easily but now I seriously am just finding it so hard, not to mention bloody boring. WHY did the author do this...how the **** am i supposed to know. aaagh. does anyone else feel this way?

Scroll to see replies

English Language or Lit?

I like them both;
but English Lit is the best :smile:
Reply 2
AS English was straightforward so nope o.o
Reply 3
I did AS English Language last year and despite having a good teacher, the subject was as boring as dry toast. It was just beginning to get interesting at A2 until the teacher announced that we were going to be analysing dictionaries in the language change unit :frown:
Reply 4
I loved AS English (Combined)! No offence, but AS/A2 tends to sort out the men from the boys; I'm guessing your speciality lies elsewhere. :smile:
Reply 5
I do combined and mucked up my AS.

The trick is to learn the terminology. Then it's as easy as pie. DO IT.
Reply 6
I used to hate English Language purely because the people in my class were so frustrating. At the end of the AS year, one of them put them hand up and asked "So, what's a noun? That's the running one right?"
Reply 7
English Literature A is a bitch. Worse spec of Literature AS to take.
Reply 8
Nope. My favourite subject so far. I'm doing English literature by the way :tongue:
Colour Me Pretty
English Language or Lit?

I like them both;
but English Lit is the best :smile:

This :biggrin: - i love trying to read between the lines - and trying to figure out hidden messages and stuff :smile: - its why i like Shakespeare - lol :smile:

OP - surely you had an inkling it was going to be like this when you took it?
Reply 10
Our school didn't offer English language....

So Lit it was and i loved it :smile: apart from one teacher I had at A2-bunked all his lessons for a year-but the other teacher made up for it :p:
Reply 11
DaveSteed24

OP - surely you had an inkling it was going to be like this when you took it?

of course op new they were going to hate the course, that's why they took it.
Eva2
of course op new they were going to hate the course, that's why they took it.

alright no need to be sarky - you have to put the work in and seriously love literature to take English lit that's all i'm saying
Reply 13
Eva2
It was just beginning to get interesting at A2 until the teacher announced that we were going to be analysing dictionaries in the language change unit :frown:

:unsure: That's really interesting though! Or is it just me?
Reply 14
DaveSteed24
alright no need to be sarky - you have to put the work in and seriously love literature to take English lit that's all i'm saying

this thread is about English Language, in case you hadn't noticed. :p:
Reply 15
I used to be just like you (don't know if you mean lang or lit but I do both, and had the same problems with both). If you actually read the material with the intent to appreciate it and apply yourself you may end up surprised.
Reply 16
ily_em
:unsure: That's really interesting though! Or is it just me?

It's just you.
I did it last year, it was the most tedious thing i have ever done. I spent the whole year either bunking off lessons or staring at the clock, i dont think itll get as much attention ever again. As far as it being hard goes, i was one mark off an A, but that was all from my own revision, as i was bordering on sleep (sometimes even going to sleep) every lesson i attended. As you can probably imagine, ive dropped it now (thank god) :biggrin:
Eva2
this thread is about English Language, in case you hadn't noticed. :p:

i just assumed she hadn't specified and since she mentioned authors she was talking about english lit - my school didn't offer english language - i just sort of forgot about it - so i dunno what it involves really :s-smilie: i apologise :p: :p: - lol
What exam board/texts are you studying?

Despite english being my passion, what I'm applying for, by far my best subject etc etc, I didn't expecially enjoy AS. A combination of the teachers, the people in my class and the material we covered just didn't inspire, but I stuck with it and I'm really enjoying A2 now.

You have to think hard if you really enjoy the subject for itself or if its the teachers or specifics of the course that you enjoyed in the past (or are ruining it for you now).

EDIT: I'm doing lit though, not lang

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending