Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As yet another rep thread was started, I thought that I'd try and explain what I know about the rep system.
    You start off with 1 green gem, and with every 100 rep points, you get another gem. You can give out rep by clicking on the shouting person button near a post. The number of points you give out when you rep someone depends on your post count, your age (when you registered) and your own number of reputation points. Roughly, the number of rep points given out is [your post count/100].
    You can check your reputation points by clicking on "user cp" at the top of the page. In the first column, there will be a gem, with the colour:

red - negative rep (someone disliked or disagreed with your post)
    green - positive rep (someone agreed or liked your post)
    grey - the person giving the rep has not posted enough to give out any rep points.
    So therefore, a green gem adds points, a red one removes points and a grey gem has no effect on your rep points.

The second column will direct you to the post which the person giving out the rep is referring to.
    The third column is for any comment made by the person giving out the rep.
    Oh yeah, and the person with the highest rep gems is Adhsur with 7 green gems.

If you pass your cursor over your gem/gems, you'll see a message come up. This message refers to the number of rep points you have. The higher the number of rep points, the greater your rep status:

Rep status
    -50 User can only hope to improve
    -10 User has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    0 User is an unknown quantity at this point
    10 User is on a distinguished road
    50 User will become famous soon enough
    150 User has a spectacular aura about
    250 User is a jewel in the rough
    350 User is just really nice
    450 User is a glorious beacon of light
    550 User is a name known to all
    650 User is a splendid one to behold
    1000 User has much to be proud of
    1500 User has a brilliant future
    2000 User has a reputation beyond repute
    Status' found by Loftx!

Also, for anyone who wants to give out any rep, whether it be good or bad rep, you can only give out 1 rep every 24 hours. The rep is usually given out anonamously, unless the person giving out rep choses to sign their name. So, if you do want to know who gave you good or bad rep, there is little way of finding out exactly who gave it unless the person owns up. Asking the mods about it won't do any good, because the person who gives the rep remains anonamous to them as well. So they won't be able to give you the answer

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I better get Vienna95 to like me then! She has serious post count! I'd probably get about 5 gems off her alone! Do you know who has the worst rep? Anyone with 5 red gems?

ReputationRep:
    It appears as though I am getting negative rep for no reason. Although I have my suspiscions and will duly oblige when I get back home.

ReputationRep:
    I think negative rep sucks. i think if you dont like someone then you just dont give positive rep. But negative rep creates illfeeling it sucks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I think negative rep sucks. i think if you dont like someone then you just dont give positive rep. But negative rep creates illfeeling it sucks!

Good point. If you give negative rep to someone, they'll just respond by giving you negative rep! Eye for an eye and all that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    Good point. If you give negative rep to someone, they'll just respond by giving you negative rep! Eye for an eye and all that!
    Rep is given anonymously so unless you sign it with your name or give it away the person you give it to doesn't know who it's from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Rep is given anonymously so unless you sign it with your name or give it away the person you give it to doesn't know who it's from.

Never knew that!

ReputationRep:
    yeah but it leads people to wonder who it was they want to pay them back they might pick on the same person. Also it leads to popularity contests you get people who are always calling out for rep. Then you get people who dont have much rep which leads them to think that they are unpopular.
    People normally have a fair idea who their bad rep is from. i dont like rep.

But hey if anyone wants to give me rep its all welcome

ReputationRep:
    yeah but it leads people to wonder who it was they want to pay them back they might pick on the same person. Also it leads to popularity contests you get people who are always calling out for rep. Then you get people who dont have much rep which leads them to think that they are unpopular.
    People normally have a fair idea who their bad rep is from. i dont like rep.

But hey if anyone wants to give me rep its all welcome
    True, the real esence of the rep system isn't eentirely true. Its more of a case of 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' mentalality, which you have just pointed out.

BTW Want some rep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    True, the real esence of the rep system isn't eentirely true. Its more of a case of 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' mentalality, which you have just pointed out.

BTW Want some rep?
    I wouldn't mind some (I just received some bad rep for a silly thing).

ReputationRep:
    hehe I will gratefully take any rep offered but I've given out my quota for today. Tomorrows is up for grabs tho

ReputationRep:
    Then you get people who dont have much rep which leads them to think that they are unpopular.
    I doubt people take it that seriously.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand where u can see the rep points........ u click on cp, but where dya go from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i dont understand where u can see the rep points........ u click on cp, but where dya go from there?

It should come up. Don't think you can see it until you get given some though - I'll give you some now (though it won't be much cos I'm not senior enough!) and next time you click on user cp it should be on the first page you see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    scroll down !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    It should come up. Don't think you can see it until you get given some though - I'll give you some now (though it won't be much cos I'm not senior enough!) and next time you click on user cp it should be on the first page you see.
    ah its cuz i didnt have any........ thx v much for the points, and for explaining

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.