Turn on thread page Beta

University of Nottingham: Teaching buildings ugly? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or is the residential area in University Park really pretty, and in striking contrast the places where the departments are are really, REALLY ugly? Like 1960s style buildings.....

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I only got a glimpse of the uni this summer....

ReputationRep:
    OMG YEH! the geography building is HORRIBLE! That's what is putting me off accepting their offer! ok materialistic - me never!! but seriously I don't want to study in a hole for the next 3 years!

ReputationRep:
    The residential area? Halls? Most of them are lovely buildings situated in a 'park like setting'.

Admittedly some of the engineering buildings and geography are 1960s/1970s, but you get this at most places. I wouldn't let aesthetics deter you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    OMG YEH! the geography building is HORRIBLE! That's what is putting me off accepting their offer! ok materialistic - me never!! but seriously I don't want to study in a hole for the next 3 years!
    *Sob* Everything in Nottingham sounds good - good halls, great city, good course...BUT THE BUILDINGS!!! I don't want to go into ugly buildings for the next three years of my life!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    The residential area? Halls? Most of them are lovely buildings situated in a 'park like setting'.

Admittedly some of the engineering buildings and geography are 1960s/1970s, but you get this at most places. I wouldn't let aesthetics deter you.
    What's the psychology building like?

ReputationRep:
    erm, not sure... i don't venture onto campus that often as I'm based in the medschool. The campus as a whole is absolutely gorgeous though

ReputationRep:
    erm, not sure... i don't venture onto campus that often as I'm based in the medschool. The campus as a whole is absolutely gorgeous though
    cool cool~

(Original post by vavavoom)
    What's the psychology building like?
    psych isnt too bad though you'll spend more time in the qmc with the medics having lectures hehe, did a paid psych experiment last week-good facilities

the geo-econ isnt that bad really? inside there's a nice garden thing in the middle of the building and the lecture theatres are pretty new

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    psych isnt too bad though you'll spend more time in the qmc with the medics having lectures hehe, did a paid psych experiment last week-good facilities
    Absolutely true. I have one tutorial every two weeks and one practical every two weeks in the psych building. That's it.

All my lectures are either in QMC, maths&physics or the Pope building....the lecture theatres in psych aren't big enough for all 400 of us in Individual In Society! :rolleyes: (People outside of psych can take it as a subsid...)

The psych labs are great though - I did a study day (a whole day of 3rd year experiments) and saw most of the labs and stuff (got paid lots as well )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    Absolutely true. I have one tutorial every two weeks and one practical every two weeks in the psych building. That's it.

All my lectures are either in QMC, maths&physics or the Pope building....the lecture theatres in psych aren't big enough for all 400 of us in Individual In Society! :rolleyes: (People outside of psych can take it as a subsid...)

The psych labs are great though - I did a study day (a whole day of 3rd year experiments) and saw most of the labs and stuff (got paid lots as well )
    What's QMC?

ReputationRep:
    Queens Medical Centre

ReputationRep:
    Queens Medical Centre
    Oooo i c! And that's not in the main campus?

ReputationRep:
    No, there's a dual carriageway between the QMC (massive hospital) and the campus, with a footbridge connecting them.

ReputationRep:
    No, there's a dual carriageway between the QMC (massive hospital) and the campus, with a footbridge connecting them.
    Wow, this is waaay awesome! Thanks for the info! It's so useful!! What do you like best about Nott?

ReputationRep:
    I've just re-read your initial message and realise I read the bit about the residential area wrong the first time so apologise for my 'strange' reply

Best thing about Notts... hmm... too many to choose from.

I really like the city - great shops and bars.

As for uni, i love my course and wouldn't change it for the world (except during exams!!!!) I've made some fantastic friends too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    What do you like best about Nott?
    I'm staying in Broadgate and really really really love living with 14 other people my own age (we're in three flats of five) I feel very independent (I'm self catered) and don't have to rely on anyone for anything...except the Student Loan company

ReputationRep:
    Everything about Notts sounds great!!! Are there any bad points about the uni though? I heard that the queues are pretty bad...

Hardly anyone from my school goes to the UK for uni so I'm totally ignorant bout this stuff!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, queues for what?

Bad things - i have too much work

In my opinion the union isn't the best... The 'Ark' is rather small and reminds me of a school disco. I think this means few students living off campus bother to go to the union as there are far better places in Notts (That's true for medics anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, queues for what?

Bad things - i have too much work

In my opinion the union isn't the best... The 'Ark' is rather small and reminds me of a school disco. I think this means few students living off campus bother to go to the union as there are far better places in Notts (That's true for medics anyway)
    Queues for everything, lol. I heard that there are tons of students so you have to spend quite a lot of time waiting in line.

My school is so small and the dances so pathetic (it's in the canteen and I heard that at the last dance only 30 ppl went...) I think anything is great for me, lol.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry - there aren't queues everywhere

although Derby road is a bit of a nightmare and I have spent many an hour sat in traffic jams!!!!!!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.