Turn on thread page Beta

bumping and anti-bumping granuals - chemistry help much needed :) watch

ReputationRep:
    can anyone please tell me what chemical anti-bumping granuals are made of and also, what is 'bumping' - the chemical process

I can't find the answer to any of these questions on google and i desperatly need them asap! Please help! thnx emz xx

ReputationRep:
    Check it up on the net, on yahoo! Try typing in just the key words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    can anyone please tell me what chemical anti-bumping granuals are made of and also, what is 'bumping' - the chemical process

I can't find the answer to any of these questions on google and i desperatly need them asap! Please help! thnx emz xx
    uhm....the anti bumping granuals are made of aluminuim something.....

ReputationRep:
    It's something to do with breaking down hydrocarbons in car engines i think...

ReputationRep:
    ok thnx i'll try yahoo because google was useless! I'm using it in the fractional distillation sense, I know it's like when the substance is superheated, it boils before bubbles have a chance to form, therefore it kinda shoots out through the conderser all at once, but I wondered if anyone could elaborate on this a bit more in a more detailed chemical sense? Also how do anti-bumping granules stop this? I think it's something like giving the substance a surface on which to form bubbles or something??????

ReputationRep:
    Antibumping granules are little bits of glass, about grain of sand size. They provide so called nucleation sites for bubbles to form (as they are porous), thus reducing the amount of large bubbles - I think this helps stop loss of solution, as less boils off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmiak)
    Antibumping granules are little bits of glass, about grain of sand size. They provide sites for bubbles to form (as they are porous), thus reducing the amount of large bubbles - I think this helps stop loss of solution.
    Yep you are right - I think....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Yep you are right - I think....
    Wait til I've edited before you reply, dammit!

ReputationRep:
    Thank You

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.