How does one make (and cook) roast potatoes? Watch

This discussion is closed.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
really random topic, but I'm into my 'tatties, and I don't think alot of the frozen stuff they sell in supermarkets taste that good.... so i'm gonna try make my own at some point.... any ideas anyone?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
really random topic, but I'm into my 'tatties, and I don't think alot of the frozen stuff they sell in supermarkets taste that good.... so i'm gonna try make my own at some point.... any ideas anyone?
i like mine to be nicely steamed then lob then in oil coated plate and bung them in oven with full heat for a crisp outside, put salt/rosemary if desired. Or, buy those seasoning packets, and add then onto tatty segments, with some cheese added onto it at the last moment.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
mmmmmm...lol.
4Ed
Rep:
?
sounds really nice..... how long shd i steam/roast for?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
sounds really nice..... how long shd i steam/roast for?
Steam for a good 20-30 mins for a whole potful, then bake for 20-30 mins, and theurn them around half way round. It is way too much hassle, but just wait for those lovely christmas tatties.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Steam for a good 20-30 mins for a whole potful, then bake for 20-30 mins, and theurn them around half way round. It is way too much hassle, but just wait for those lovely christmas tatties.
Why thank you my dear *gobbles* tatoes...lol.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
Part boil the peeled potatoes - no more than 5 minutes. Empty water, put saucepan back on stove and shake it - this makes the outside of the spuds a bit 'fluffy'. Put into roasting tin (which has a mixture of hot oil, butter, herbs and garlic) and pop into hot oven for, say 45 minutes, turning once half way through). The fluffing of the spuds after par boiling ensures they come out nice and crunchy on outside whilst remaining nice and dry inside.
My mum's roast potatoes are the best!!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Part boil the peeled potatoes - no more than 5 minutes. Empty water, put saucepan back on stove and shake it - this makes the outside of the spuds a bit 'fluffy'. Put into roasting tin (which has a mixture of hot oil, butter, herbs and garlic) and pop into hot oven for, say 45 minutes, turning once half way through). The fluffing of the spuds after par boiling ensures they come out nice and crunchy on outside whilst remaining nice and dry inside.
If you and 2776 have a contest, can I be the decider? I can eat them all...lol.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
lol, I shake them that way as well. So ashamed to be the only male here.
4Ed
Rep:
?
hey u disregard myself

i could do with some deliciously cooked potatoes myself at the moment......
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
lol, I shake them that way as well. So ashamed to be the only male here.
You could become our new 'Naked chef' then (with clothes on!)
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
You could become our new 'Naked chef' then (with clothes on!)
so you in the got then?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
so you in the got then?
Sorry?
4Ed
Rep:
?
thats it........... u've taught me how to cook roast tatties...... i'm biased towards GOT
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Definetly, join the GOT and you get real life skills instead of worshipping the whitemaster

yawn1, the got =Girls on Top party
DevilsDoor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
After reading the delicious way of doing em, makes mine seem bland, boil for 30 mins, preheat deep fat fryer, drop em in hot fat and fry until crisp. Alternatively, gate crash someone elses house and invite yourself for dinner :P
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
bumping my own thread from ages past

i needed to cook roast potatoes tonight, and i thought i'd share this amazing thread from last year with everyone.
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
Buy some (altho did you know they're not hard to grow in your backyard? A neighbour of ours does, but then, we live in Aus, so not sure about the UK situation, but I'm sure you can grow them there).

Peel them, wash them, bake them Mmmm!

For technical instructions, what 2776 said!
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
put them in the oven for an hour or until they are baked.
you can microwave some for about 10 minutes.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I hate oven roasted roast potatoes !!

Far better when thrown in the chipper.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.56%
No (471)
60.7%
Not really bothered about them (161)
20.75%

Watched Threads