Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah I hate the Advancing Physics course too........ the textbook is too waffly and full of 'stories' of where everything came from, and not enough practice on the actual physics inside there.

The CD rom is even worse - can anyone figure out how to use it? our teacher told us we should be learning from the CD rom, but it is such a pain to navigate.

Yeah i've done the research coursework - its really easy, got 38/40. just make sure u fulfill the mark scheme... and get sum decent physics in there as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Yeah i've done the research coursework - its really easy, got 38/40. just make sure u fulfill the mark scheme... and get sum decent physics in there as well.

Jesus, you got 38? I got 35/40 for materials, and it was soo good, I included everything, and it was like up to degree standard, I'm not kidding as like I used University Building course resources. Harsh markers.

ReputationRep:
    admittedly, i'd done the same project as a dissertation for a school prize, i cut out the last two chapters and resubmitted it (so it was within the word limit). So I got enough physics in there.

You probably missed out on one of those SPAG marks, or some historical context crap..... i did that with some of my other courseworks during AS. u dont always need that much physics, which is the annoying thing - u just have to work out how to fulfill the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    admittedly, i'd done the same project as a dissertation for a school prize, i cut out the last two chapters and resubmitted it (so it was within the word limit). So I got enough physics in there.

You probably missed out on one of those SPAG marks, or some historical context crap..... i did that with some of my other courseworks during AS. u dont always need that much physics, which is the annoying thing - u just have to work out how to fulfill the mark scheme.
    No the spag was perfect, and I submitted 2 sides on the history of concrete.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm thats a real *****........ never mind 32 and above is an A anyway.... so u're sorted. what were ur other CWs like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    hmmm thats a real *****........ never mind 32 and above is an A anyway.... so u're sorted. what were ur other CWs like?
    I've only done materials. Did you do sensing? What sensor did you do?

ReputationRep:
    gawsh ur doing AS.... thought u were on A2... umm i can't quite remember what i did for sensors, i think it had sumthing to do with a dark room and lots of CRO displays..... probably an LDR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sue!)
    Hi!
    At my school we do the Advancing Physics course for Physics A-Level and we all absolutly hate it! Does anyone else agree? We especially hate the coursework.
    Yes, IMO it is a rather bad course. I did it for my A-level Physics last year and wasn't impressed. It spends far too much time waffling about the background and history and the actual physics it teaches seems somewhat watered-down and patronisingly simple. I don't think I had to do one integral for that whole course! This actually makes the course harder as you never get the full picture, thus are often left guessing what might be true. I just got a proper textbook and read that. I suggest you do the same.

On the other hand, the courseworks are very easy to do well in if you put the work in (not that this is necessarily a good thing). Just make sure you write something relevant for each point on the mark scheme specification, and you should be able to get full marks. The only mark I dropped on the courseworks was one for writing too much. :rolleyes:

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    The only mark I dropped on the courseworks was one for writing too much. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    JESUS, there is a mark for that? That is just like stupid now. It is so much like a watered down course. I bet you that the unis dont take the course seriously, like media studies.

ReputationRep:
    well i think this is still a new-fangled course, so I'm not sure if unis will notice a big difference yet.... tho i'm sure that most ppl doing phys would have done maths, so they'd have enough mathematical knowledge to get them through, if their teachers are decent enough to explain the course properly using maths (mine was) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    JESUS, there is a mark for that? That is just like stupid now. It is so much like a watered down course. I bet you that the unis dont take the course seriously, like media studies.
    Yeah, on the A2 research coursework anyway. I don't think the universities are aware of the quality of the course yet as it's so new... they just see it as an OCR physics course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Yeah, on the A2 research coursework anyway. I don't think the universities are aware of the quality of the course yet as it's so new... they just see it as an OCR physics course.
    For now anyway. So much disgrace, I can't believe my teacher actually taught me that. Whats your teacher's thoughts on the course?

My teacher is indifferent as he doesnt know how to prove things so for most of the time he gives us rubbish photocopies of handouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    For now anyway. So much disgrace, I can't believe my teacher actually taught me that. Whats your teacher's thoughts on the course?

My teacher is indifferent as he doesnt know how to prove things so for most of the time he gives us rubbish photocopies of handouts.
    Well, I finished the course last year, so they're no longer my teachers, but they never really expressed any sentiments either way. However one of our teachers used to pretty much ignore the course and just go into much more depth about each of the topics, which was much better. I got the impression she didn't like it. They never specifically said though.

ReputationRep:
    i think most of my teachers think its very waffly, but they did after all choose this board, so they must think theres sumthing special about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i think most of my teachers think its very waffly, but they did after all choose this board, so they must think theres sumthing special about it
    You sure? Most teacher choose it because it is an easier a level than others, to teach anyway, and also to get good marks.

My teacher was fgorced on it as the head physics teacher, was a part of the teram that designed the course, and so the school had to be in the course.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt say my teachers chose it cuz it taught u more, i meant that my teachers must have chosen this OCR board for a reason.

prolly cuz its easier to get higher grades, just like ur teachers.... not sure why exactly tho

ReputationRep:
    Teachers seem to think that the course is good at making you think about physics but the only thing it makes me think is how much I hate it. It justs seems like the examiers thought that not enough ppl did physics and so tried to water it down and make it more "accessible". This will not work on two accounts, firstly the people who didn't choose physics A-Level before still won't because it still has the same image and secondly, those people who who actually liked physics enough to do it for A-Level will be totally put of the by the course and end up hating physics (I am one of these ppl).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could anyone please help me with the A2 practical coursework piece for Advancing Physics? I just wanted to know what types of headings people had in their courseworks - i only have things like "aim, method, apparatus, results, conclusion" etc and its a bit gcse! My experiment is about ball bearings and different heights/effects of gravity..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did this last year. it was p!ss easy. i did a really good research coursework on holographic data storage, got 39 for it. my investigation was a bit poor, on bungee jumping. don't know what i got for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I did this last year. it was p!ss easy. i did a really good research coursework on holographic data storage, got 39 for it. my investigation was a bit poor, on bungee jumping. don't know what i got for that
    Elpaw, did you feel that Advancing physics was good for uni? or did they prefer a more conventional type of physic course?

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.