The Student Room Group

UCL vs Bristol ??(Civil engineering)

Im applying to UCL,Bristol, Bath, Nottingham and Imperial coll. for a Meng in Civil engineering.

Out of the 5, UCL and Bristol attract me the most. Bristol due to its ranking in civil engineering and UCL for its overall rank and the fact that its based in London and about 10mins tube journey from my flat.
Furthermore, I love london and social life is important for me.

I dont know which to choose????????????????????

I am planning on becomming a chartered engineer and aim high.
Career prospectus and salary is important for me.
My AS grades were aaabb (As in maths and physics &bio) and A2 predictions :AAA

PLEASE HELP
Do you have offers from both of them?

Assuming that you do, it seems like UCL would be most appropriate for you, based on the things you've said. Do you think you would benefit from living in somewhere new for university, though?

If you think you would, and provided you don't have financial problems, then I'd go with Bristol, because its engineering department is :yy: , and I think, better (but not by much) than UCL.
Reply 2
thanks for the advise -

yes I have got offers from both.

I do kind of want to go outside london and have no financial difficulties. However, ive got a feeling I will not enjoy the 'uni life' partly because im iranian and got this feeling that im not going to fit it with my 'campus mates' and alsoo im not into the drinking beer everyday and going to pubs and cheap clubs kinda life that seems to be the highlight of uni life!

My main concern is whether a degree at bristol benefit my career, salary, imployability etc alot more than if i chose UCL?????????
Reply 3
morrrteza
thanks for the advise -

yes I have got offers from both.

I do kind of want to go outside london and have no financial difficulties. However, ive got a feeling I will not enjoy the 'uni life' partly because im iranian and got this feeling that im not going to fit it with my 'campus mates' and alsoo im not into the drinking beer everyday and going to pubs and cheap clubs kinda life that seems to be the highlight of uni life!

My main concern is whether a degree at bristol benefit my career, salary, imployability etc alot more than if i chose UCL?????????

There's probably going to be lots of people in your position that don't like to drink or party; I wouldn't worry about that.

Bristol has one of the biggest student populations in a UK city so I'm sure you'll find people that share similar interests/hobbies.

In terms of grad prospects, I don't think they would differ much between the 2 unis.
Reply 4
of course Bristol
Bristol has an earthquack modeling machine which there are only two in the UK and few in Europe
in the third year Bristol gives chance to exchange to califonia uni, rice uni and berkeley uni.
top three in civil eng ranking.
ucl is just 12 in civil eng ranking exclusive oxbridge.
Reply 5
thanks for your reponses.
So its clear that Bristol is better for Ceng.
But is it also that much better in terms of career opportunities, starting salary etc or is it simmilar??

Also, I watched a programme on TV once about how racist Bristol is :O ---- it was shocking -- yobs were SPITTING on foreigners :O !!!!!!
Is that how bristol is like?
Reply 6
Hi guys, could you give me some inside info about UCL and Civil Engineering... I have recieved an offer of AAA in Chemistry Physics and Maths. But my Predicted grades are ABA* respectively... will UCL accept these as they are equivalent to the offer grades in terms of tarrif points.. and also, if i don't get these grades by perhaps 1 grade i.e. AAB, will they still accept me?

Latest