Hitch hiking to Morocco for charity

Watch
La Esmerelda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Does anyone know how I can go about doing this?
There's no real website or anything and I can't join justgiving.com unless I do some other stuff....Help?

And if anyone is interested in joining then write away.
smash and grab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
have you been onto http://hitch.lcd.org.uk?
they should be able to point you in the right direction...sorry i can't be more help!
duke89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://www.lcdinternational.org/Nort...ales/Hitch.htm
tootsies
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah, i'm doing it in march. was meant to be doing it last march but got ill just before going.

if you want to ask me any questions go ahead, i know all about it just quote me!
Pinky27
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi Guys

I am really really keen to hitch hike to Morocco but i am not sure how to get the ball rolling with it.

I would really really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thank you
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pinky27)
Hi Guys

I am really really keen to hitch hike to Morocco but i am not sure how to get the ball rolling with it.

Thank you
Have you read the links posted earlier in the thread?
La Esmerelda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Pinky27)
Hi Guys

Thank you
I ended up doing it-two years ago. Feel free to ask questions.
wonderful_chiara
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm really really interested as well!!!! But I don't know exactly how it works...! I've read the website, but... I was wondering if maybe there is already something like a Group for the fund raising initiatives? : )
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And for your next symposium on personal safety, you're going to investigate starting Ann Summers parties in Afghanistan?
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
And for your next symposium on personal safety, you're going to investigate starting Ann Summers parties in Afghanistan?
Morroco isn't that dangerous.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by techno-thriller)
Morroco isn't that dangerous.
Getting into cars with strangers anywhere in the world is.
-raisa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
Getting into cars with strangers anywhere in the world is.
I disagree.

I hitchhiked for the very first time last year while participating in a charity jailbreak. My partner and I got to Poland (hitched 16 different rides) within 24 hours, and I never felt in danger at any point.

You just have to use your common sense and not get into any car if there's something not right about it!
standreams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What I don't quite understand is why anyone would sponsor this?

Charity fundraising usually involves making an effort to do something which is challenging- not a budget backpacking holiday (which is what hitchhiking to Morocco is).

EDIT: Just realised this thread is ancient, but my question still stands- I'm genuinely curious about this.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -raisa)
I disagree.

I hitchhiked for the very first time last year while participating in a charity jailbreak. My partner and I got to Poland (hitched 16 different rides) within 24 hours, and I never felt in danger at any point.

You just have to use your common sense and not get into any car if there's something not right about it!
So the money that TfL, the police and government spend on telling people not to used unlicensed cabs - that's all a waste is it? It's perfectly safe?
hollo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
So the money that TfL, the police and government spend on telling people not to used unlicensed cabs - that's all a waste is it? It's perfectly safe?
The difference is that unlicensed cabs are fraudulently pretending to be something which they are not. A car on a road is a car on a road.

The majority of people don't mean any harm to anybody. The decline in hitch-hiking is a sad reflection of how we're all becoming more closed to each other.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hollo)
The difference is that unlicensed cabs are fraudulently pretending to be something which they are not. A car on a road is a car on a road.

The majority of people don't mean any harm to anybody. The decline in hitch-hiking is a sad reflection of how we're all becoming more closed to each other.
Not really. It would have been even more dangerous for a young woman to try and thumb a ride across a country two or three hundred years ago.

As it is, I think it's crazy. It's essentially taking everything you have ever been taught about personal safety and throwing it in the bin.
standreams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I generally agree with the above (that hitchhiking, particularly for a single woman) is best avoided for the same reasons as avoiding unlicenced minicabs.

The caveat is that, in some countries, the principle of "any car is a taxi" applies. In some places, it's quite normal to flag down any passing car and ask for a lift (though this will usually not be free). Obviously, you check the driver first, don't get in if there are dodgy-looking passengers, have a look at the back seat to check nobody is hiding there first etc. I would never dream of doing this in the UK (where I'd question the motives of anyone stopping, as hitchhiking isn't the norm here), but in some other places don't think twice about doing it.
The-Dream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by standreams)
I generally agree with the above (that hitchhiking, particularly for a single woman) is best avoided for the same reasons as avoiding unlicenced minicabs.

The caveat is that, in some countries, the principle of "any car is a taxi" applies. In some places, it's quite normal to flag down any passing car and ask for a lift (though this will usually not be free). Obviously, you check the driver first, don't get in if there are dodgy-looking passengers, have a look at the back seat to check nobody is hiding there first etc. I would never dream of doing this in the UK (where I'd question the motives of anyone stopping, as hitchhiking isn't the norm here), but in some other places don't think twice about doing it.
such as where?
Bachus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by standreams)
I would never dream of doing this in the UK (where I'd question the motives of anyone stopping, as hitchhiking isn't the norm here), but in some other places don't think twice bout doing it.
I hitch frequently in England (I've been up to Glasgow and down to Dover for example). The majority of the people that pick you up are those who used to hitch so remember what it's like. A suitable level of common sense is onvious but I've done well over a thousand miles without major incident and have met some really nice people doing so, plus it's free and trains cost...
standreams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The-Dream)
such as where?
Central Asia and a few other places in the former USSR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (38)
5.81%
Uncertainty around my education (77)
11.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
11.01%
Lack of purpose or motivation (83)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.66%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.66%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (70)
10.7%
Financial worries (41)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (26)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (39)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (19)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (63)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (52)
7.95%

Watched Threads