Turn on thread page Beta

what do you think of this...[Very young pre-teen pregnancy] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    its true.. i don't know. in my day of being 12... i wouldn't dream of thinking about it!
    Christ I MUST be ancient!! In MY day.........at 12 years old........we didn't KNOW about it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I think the youngest mother in this country was nine and gave birth to twins I'm sure i read it in a magazine on a train. I'm sure that a 12yr old could give birth to a healthy child.
    Are you aware of how many countries in the world have 12 years as the legal age for girls to have sexual intercourse - including certain areas of scandinavia?

ReputationRep:
    In reading on the busses there are always at least 2 girls who look around 15 with prams...

ReputationRep:
    link for the 5 yr old mother, if any1s interested - http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't believe that. I mean, interesting, yes. But I honestly don't believe her body would have matured in such a way, for it to be possible for her to have a child. I don't reckon she could have started her period at 5, and her eggs wouldn't have been fully developed or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    i thought youngest mother in the world was 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Nah, I don't believe that. I mean, interesting, yes. But I honestly don't believe her body would have matured in such a way, for it to be possible for her to have a child. I don't reckon she could have started her period at 5, and her eggs wouldn't have been fully developed or whatever.
    unfortunately, it does occasionally happen. she started menstruating at 8 months!

sometimes the body goes wrong, and it's not that uncommon to mature prematurely - as i said before, i know 2 girls who started their periods at 5 and 6 and had breasts by the time they were 7 or 8.

It's unusual for people to get pregnant then because they're still not going to be sexually active, one would hope, except in the case of rape, such as this.

It is a medically recognised condition so i'm afraid it's naive not to believe it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    5?? isnt she a bit young - puberty doesnt normally start till 9. they normally postpone puberty till later. how old was the dad for that matter??
    The average age for starting menstruation is 12 (which, incidently, was hold old I was when I first started) - so having puberty starting at 9 is really young! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    my cousin was upset at first coz she didnt start having her periods till she was 18 and she thought somethin was wrong with her during her teens and thought she was developing really slowly but she said she was so happy looking back at the annoyance and sometimes pain other girls right from yr7 were going thru and she was fine lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    The average age for starting menstruation is 12 (which, incidently, was hold old I was when I first started) - so having puberty starting at 9 is really young! :eek:
    don't forget there are exceptions to the rule

ReputationRep:
    actually, puberty starts before you start your periods, so 9 isn't that unusual for puberty to begin.

ReputationRep:
    my friend's sister's mate is pregnant... at only 12 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was totally unexpected... the type of girl who is SENSIBLE
    Sorry but that is far to young has she ever heard of comdoms how old is the father?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    actually, puberty starts before you start your periods, so 9 isn't that unusual for puberty to begin.
    Yes, I am well aware of that - but even taking that into account, 9 is a bit on the young side! :eek: I don't think I started puberty until I was around 11.

ReputationRep:
    don't forget there are exceptions to the rule
    No, I hadn't forgotten that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am well aware of that - but even taking that into account, 9 is a bit on the young side! :eek: I don't think I started puberty until I was around 11.
    indeed it is - i feel sorry for anyone who had to go through it from so young. i started when i was 11 and that was young enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    i started when i was 11 and that was young enough!
    I agree! I cried when my first period started, and tried to hide it from my family, because I didn't feel ready to begin the path to adulthood yet at that point.

ReputationRep:
    I agree! I cried when my first period started, and tried to hide it from my family, because I didn't feel ready to begin the path to adulthood yet at that point.
    I had the opposite problem. My period didn't start until I was 17 :eek: I felt like I was emotionally prepared to be an adult but physically still a child. Even my sister (who's four years younger than me) started hers before me.

ReputationRep:
    What about all the girls from other countries with different cultures who are often married by the age of 12?

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering who impregated the 5 year old.

She is still alive. I wonder if she remembers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...Sprigged...)
    I'm wondering who impregated the 5 year old.

She is still alive. I wonder if she remembers?
    her father was arrested on suspicion of incest but was never convicted due to lack of evidence. the girl couldn't say at the time so it was never discovered.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.