Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm thinking about journalism but how do you do about putting together a portfolio of your work placements work? What does it actually look like? Is it literally cuttings puasted in a folder or do you keep the whole newspaper?

Also, does it matter how much of a portfolio you have? I mean, obviously, the more the better but what if you're one of those people who aren't 100% sure as yet?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    large a1 piece of card..... stick all articles on it..... put glitter round the edges... it would get their attention at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by se77en)
    large a1 piece of card..... stick all articles on it..... put glitter round the edges... it would get their attention at least
    :rolleyes: you are kidding me, right? lol . Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    nope... seriously most people do that... it shows a bit of creativity... the bigger and more glittery the piece of card the better

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahahha Se77en!!!

Pasting individual cuttings on some nice A4 (maybe thick black) card would be ideal and then these are placed in a folder. This would be a professional way of doing it, and would make your pitch to future employers more sophisticated. Remember, Pritt Stick is horrible - it leaves nasty marks everywhere (learnt from Art GCSE experience hahaha).

This is the way I'm doing it, it also works very well if you put a backing onto the article. So, stick the article onto a cream/white piece of card, then stick the piece of card onto black card.

Also, it is helpful to get as many articles you have written for your portfolio. Remember it is quality not quantity. Therefore, by tarting the articles you have at the moment will benefit you.

I have realised that Newspaper offices etc. may like it if you write orginal articles e.g. case study of young people's views of local environment, charity bands - personal statement or fashion fad etc. This could bulk up your portfolio, and at the same time it shows iniative and keeness in Journalism.

In addition, by writing these articles, they could be published in the newspaper or you could be asked to do a case study or story on a particular subject. These are the best jobs as the journalist is allowed to be creative compared to the usual stories of cats stuck up trees etc.

Good Luck, and hope this helps!

Rudy!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, I see. So are you a budding journalist then too?

I thought for portfolio cuttings, they had to be published stuff? [don't take my word for it, I've no idea] Also, this sounds stupid but what if your article on a stupid size and shape? lol.

I've done a few journalism work placements a few years back and a lot of the stuff they made me do were also typing up press releases. -hardly anything wow. Am I supposed to include those in too? There's likea 2 year gap between each one though cos obviously I had school back then and other commitments. Will I look uncommitted if I have other things on the go because my heart also lies elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    On a related note, has anyone here had any placemenst with any magazines and would they recommend? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    i had a placement with nme last yr but only for 1 month and it was wikid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rising_moon)
    On a related note, has anyone here had any placemenst with any magazines and would they recommend? Cheers.
    my mate did a work placement with an IT magazine.. she loved every minute of it

ReputationRep:
    wow... my placement plans probably seem a bit naff then. I could only stretch to a week or two at the most. I've got loads other commitments and plans, you see. And the only time I have to do work experience is during the summer hols...

ReputationRep:
    wow... my placement plans probably seem a bit naff then. I could only stretch to a week or two at the most. I've got loads other commitments and plans, you see. And the only time I have to do work experience is during the summer hols...
    are you doin it between college???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by se77en)
    i had a placement with nme last yr but only for 1 month and it was wikid
    Forgive me for being naive... what's NME? lol

Are you planning on journalism then?

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me for being naive... what's NME? lol

Are you planning on journalism then?
    nme is a music magazing. *realises* omg that musta beem amazing!!! so jealous!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    are you doin it between college???
    lol... nah, i left 6th form last year after A-Levels then did an art Foundation course, which is really intensive [I had ridiculous hours... sometimes working to at late as 8pm!] and going onto a degree in Fine art this September...

Hence I am trying to fit in other types of work experience in when I can but still keep up my art projects/plans going... I like to write as well so journalism is another option.

Busy girl! lol

ReputationRep:
    lol... nah, i left 6th form last year after A-Levels then did an art Foundation course, which is really intensive [I had ridiculous hours... sometimes working to at late as 8pm!] and going onto a degree in Fine art this September...

Hence I am trying to fit in other types of work experience in when I can but still keep up my art projects/plans going... I like to write as well so journalism is another option.

Busy girl! lol
    wow sounds like you've got it all planned! i would not have the motivation to do all that!

ReputationRep:
    nme is a music magazing. *realises* omg that musta beem amazing!!! so jealous!!!!
    Ah... I see. lol. Kool. Sorry, I'm not big on the music magazine front myself. Strangely enough, I'm more into the fashion/ typical female type magazines... [I would have loved to have studied fashion if it wasn't for the fact I can't sew or make anything contructive to save my life!] lol

ReputationRep:
    the music magazine work was fast and pretty demanding but completely wikid

ReputationRep:
    wow sounds like you've got it all planned! i would not have the motivation to do all that!
    lol. Or insanity. I do wonder sometimes....

I'm rather uncertain as to the prospects after Fine Art, you see. No-one seems to know about employablity for definite etc. lol. Obviously, I want to work as a Fine Artist but realistically, I will need to pay bills as well, lol... and I'm rather picky when it comes to jobs... Unfortunately for me, I seem to prefer to lower paying ones, lol

What are your plans then?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.