Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do if a friend stole from you? watch

ReputationRep:
    I caught a friend stealing from me red handed. I gave him an opportunity to own up to it before I confronted him but he lied about it. After I confronted him he admitted to stealing from me over a long period of time but claimed he'd been paying it back on the sly so "I wasn't out of pocket". He says he's sorry but I think he's just sorry he got caught. The worst thing is he wasn't stealing the money because he needed it, he stole it so he could play computer games :eek: I never really liked him because he's really cheap, like when we goes out to meals he always underpays his share by at least $5 and when he comes over he eats heaps of my food but never offers me food when I visit him. I'm really only friends with him because he is friends with my other friends. They dislike him too because he's cheap and has also stolen from them but they can't be bothered telling him they hate him and still invite him along to things because he has no other friends and they feel sorry for him. I'm afraid that if I don't forgive him it'll make it difficult to go out with my other friends but I hate that lame thief soooooooooooo much. What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend stole from me...she still doesn't know that I know to this day...I just slowly broke off the friendship and now see very little of her. Was very hard though, we'd been drifting apart a little before it happened but we'd been best friends and joined at the hip for around a year....

I'm not very confrontational so never confronted her....

But breaking it off slowly seemed to work and less likely to bring about arguments....

However your friend is probably a very different person...but maybe just stop asking him out with you and stuff?

I dunno anyway....it's hard...and it can be pretty horrid...

Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    I would sue him. Really. (and I'm not American)

ReputationRep:
    if you really hate him that much, I'd phone the good ole HM Constabulary and have him... hmm, what the Australian equivilent of sending someone to the colonies? Tazmania?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    I would sue him. Really. (and I'm not American)
    You'd go to all that trouble?

SMH @ lames

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure his family aren't just poor...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    Well if he was buying computer games he must have had a computer sooo erm I wouldn't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Well if he was buying computer games he must have had a computer sooo erm I wouldn't think so
    Computer games in arcades! The thread says PLAY not BUY!

ReputationRep:
    So wait, he stole from your other friends as well? Who's actually real friends with this guy?

ReputationRep:
    my advice is he is a scumbag :mad: . stop hanging around with him and tell your other friends to keep clear of him too.
    i had a "friend" steal off me he was stealing money, i had thought he might have been taking thing from me, then one day he admitted to my other friends he,d done it. then she came to me and told me. true friendship.

trust.
    if he was your friend he would never have stole, he could have asked you.
    dave :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Computer games in arcades! The thread says PLAY not BUY!
    Weiird

ReputationRep:
    well he isnt a friend anymore...

ReputationRep:
    He's 22 and doesn't live at home so it's kinda or irrelevant. He makes more money than I do and gets more social security money because he's single and I have a partner. He's always whining about his family being poor but they work for the government and are posted in England so they get free accommodation and he gets free flights to see them. No one working where his dad does can be "poor". I asked someone who worked in the same area and apparently it's like $100 000 a year. I live on $15 000 a year pretty nicely.

He stole to pay for this stupid internet MMORPG game which has a monthly fee. What he actually stole for was the money to pay his internet with because he plays so much he gets charged a huge amount like $30 a week. It's just such a stupid thing to steal for. Those games are addictive wastes of time.

If he needed money for something important I'd give it to him. Another friend still owes me $100 but I told her not to pay me back because she needed it to buy food.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that they were very naughty and demand the item they stole back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special Patrol)
    I caught a friend stealing from me red handed. I gave him an opportunity to own up to it before I confronted him but he lied about it. After I confronted him he admitted to stealing from me over a long period of time but claimed he'd been paying it back on the sly so "I wasn't out of pocket". He says he's sorry but I think he's just sorry he got caught. The worst thing is he wasn't stealing the money because he needed it, he stole it so he could play computer games :eek: I never really liked him because he's really cheap, like when we goes out to meals he always underpays his share by at least $5 and when he comes over he eats heaps of my food but never offers me food when I visit him. I'm really only friends with him because he is friends with my other friends. They dislike him too because he's cheap and has also stolen from them but they can't be bothered telling him they hate him and still invite him along to things because he has no other friends and they feel sorry for him. I'm afraid that if I don't forgive him it'll make it difficult to go out with my other friends but I hate that lame thief soooooooooooo much. What would you do?
    Stop being friends with him obvioulsy - none of you seem to like him so why bother? Surely if he steals from everyone no-one can like him. Just ignore him I say :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special Patrol)
    He's 22 and doesn't live at home so it's kinda or irrelevant. He makes more money than I do and gets more social security money because he's single and I have a partner. He's always whining about his family being poor but they work for the government and are posted in England so they get free accommodation and he gets free flights to see them. No one working where his dad does can be "poor". I asked someone who worked in the same area and apparently it's like $100 000 a year. I live on $15 000 a year pretty nicely.

He stole to pay for this stupid internet MMORPG game which has a monthly fee. What he actually stole for was the money to pay his internet with because he plays so much he gets charged a huge amount like $30 a week. It's just such a stupid thing to steal for. Those games are addictive wastes of time.

If he needed money for something important I'd give it to him. Another friend still owes me $100 but I told her not to pay me back because she needed it to buy food.
    Aww I see, you didn't mention that he had more money than you, or wasn't poor, that makes a big difference! I know most people have said this, but seeing as it sounds like noboday actually likes him, which is understandable cos he steals from you, I wouldn't hang around with him anymore. Make it clear exactly why you aren't hanging round with him too. I hope it gets sorted and you don't have him stealing off you anymore Good Luck! :hugs:

tell him to stop

if only it was that easy...

ReputationRep:
    i also had a friend who stole but not from me, and i confronted her there and then. but she kept stealing. i think your friend is being pressurised to meet his needs, to be like you and have the things you got. you should try to make your friendship so there is no materialistic needs in it, but just friendship. don't go flashing your new ipod or things like that.

ReputationRep:
    shove the computer game up his ass
    .....and if he was playing in an arcade, just put the machine in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    I'd go for the killing, its the only way...
    isn't that taking it a bit to the extremes??

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.