Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much harder did you find your course in contrast to your a levels and which a levels did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Significantly harder. I think it was the fact that you're left to your own devices as much as anything. I did Maths, Physics and French A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, not massively massively harder, it depends what you mean though!

A-levels I did: Geography, Biology, Economics
    Degree I do: Geography at Durham

Thing is is that the content isn't all that much harder, they just expect you to research a lot of it yourself and leave you to do work independently rather than direct your learning like you've been doing for the whole of your life in education!

For example, they give you an essay title, give you 2 weeks to do it, and that's pretty much it. From there you have to figure out what exactly you need to write, you need to research the topic (i.e. read books in the library!), and then write it! Also hard that you'll only know a select few people doing the same essay so not like you can just talk to any other geographer to get hints!

But don't worry about it, there is support if you need it from tutors/lecturers/etc. so it's not all hell!

ReputationRep:
    that sounds a bit scary :eek: . Should be ok though, my course is basically 3 of my alevels put together and greater depth.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.