Turn on thread page Beta

Mental and conscious freedom: Obession, pain, and pleasure -- WARNING: long watch

ReputationRep:
    People get so focused on negative things in their mind, and it becomes an obsession. They get mad because they are taught negativity must be experienced, understood, faced face-to-face in order to somehow be loved and a better man. This is not true.

Perhaps you get pissed off at things you get so focused on, the negative, and get mad that you have to think about it. Ask yourself this: are you blaming these negative things for being negative? Are you blaming yourself for somehow not doing something?

No man is an island, but no man is the world. There is much "suffering" in the world, but I guess this is all opinion. Starving people, people with diseases, unhappy people, pain, etc. Most of this comes right to you through other people and their self-righteous ******** about how we should feel bad for our lives because others are seen as "worse". Ignorant ******** that people say out of their own frustration and similar anger.

They shove it right down your throat and act like everyone is so bad bad bad, evil, selfish, and needs a change!!!! The truth is, every man, rich and poor, is still a man. If you shoot him in the leg, he will bleed just like the next man. You cannot focus on other people's beliefs, people's shame, guilt, anger, people's emotions.

The EGO is the man, but you can watch your ego. You can watch your thoughts as they come to you, or chance, you can watch as your emotions change. You still have that little awareness in the back of your mind, that which is you, who doesn't have an opinion on anything. It's just simply there, using this body and EGO as a means of surviving. Sure there is suffering, that little voice in the back of your mind is YOU, YOU are the GOD.

Your EGO is the "Devil". There is no good and evil (notice how EVIL is derrived from DEVIL and GOOD from GOD) in your ideas of them, simply difference. We are all evil. When you ignore your oneness (realize that the same force you have to control your body is exactly the same force every man uses--this is the spirit, the GOD, the connection, the one, which is YOU, which is everyone) you become frustrated, angry, confused, EMOTIONAL. You believe you are your emotions, you get more emotional by your EGO as you try to overcome the EGO. This is another way society (you know each man by his EGO, this is the personality, so it's easier to see "Evil" when you only see the man, and not the spirit which he is, which you are, which wants to be free--at peace, at understanding) gets to you. Your EGO sees other people's EGOs as threats, because the EGO is the animal in you. This is not bad, nor good, it just simply is. It distracts you. See, you are always striving for clarity. Every time you ask a question, wonder, want an answer, you're working through to find clarity. Searching for a means outside of yourself to overcome your own EGO, which is your animal, that you control.

This is why it's hard for people to see clarity. They can't see past the physical. Once you realize that the aspect of you that is YOU, that you use to make each choice, the part that you use to focus on your senses (you can focus on the feeling of your back against the chair, but you can also change this focus to some other part of your body--this is your spirit, which is YOU, which is emotionless, which is not physical, but that which simply is, which is YOU, and when you think to try to explain it and understand it, you are denying that you are this force, you are denying that you are the force that is causing the focus on your thoughts, the force that decides to get up and move, the force that is YOU).

Thoughts, imagination, etc. are recalls of the past. When you think you are repeating sounds in your head that you've heard. This is why people get pissed off hearing *beep* they don't wanna hear. Their animal, the body, doesn't wanna focus on something that it attaches negativity to. But you have the ability to let go of the negativity. Each time you feel it, recognize it isn't real. You are beyond the body (which is the animal). If everyone in society agrees with something, you would have no trouble attaching positivity, or "reward" to yourself by exploring it. If everyone in society hated something, you would attach negativity, or an animalistic "punishment", which is basically self punishment, something that makes you feel bad, as a means to avoiding it.

When you realize everyone in society is just as confused and mixed up as you are, or perhaps even moreso, you can realize that it is easy to just be. Be yourself, be what you wanna be, if you don't wanna be or do something, don't be or do it. It is your choice. Do what you gotta do, or don't. It's all your choice. When you feel pressure, it is yourself, your EGO, reflecting society in itself and trying to understand it. If you understood all pressure and stress, there would be no pressure or stress, would there?

But when you realize you understand everything, it is all good or bad, just be. It's okay.

It's all your choice. YOU are, and your happiness doesn't need to be punished because there is suffering and unhappiness in the world. In fact, put yourself in the position of the starving children. If you were starving, it would not be a big deal, would it? This would simply be your life. If you could have more, you would. The meaning of life is simply LIFE. Everything we do, we do to survive. When we give into society, it is our EGO, our senses, using their self to survive. Remember, when you get burned, your sense of touch is telling you there may be consequences for pursuing the pain. When you feel pain in your thoughts, this is your sense of hearing (which is more easily accessed on a daily basis since all of your senses can be found in your head, so you spend more of yourself up there--more focus, your spirit, as I described before)--more of your consciousness. So it's easy to find pain when you focus on painful memories.

See, if every time you felt velvet somebody hit you in your face, you wouldn't like feeling velvet, would you? Likewise, when you attach negativity to certain thoughts, you don't like thinking them. Society "gives permission" on what to think, or what not to. When you realize society does not control you, you control you, you can be free.

ReputationRep:
    Would be nice to have some real responses for once, quote me, discuss. Too many people have unneeded attitudes about subjects involving psychology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    Would be nice to have some real responses for once, quote me, discuss. Too many people have unneeded attitudes about subjects involving psychology!
    I'd love to come up with a decont reply but I'm too busy. Maybe I will consider what you have said later.

ReputationRep:
    Have you read "The Power of NOW" by Eckhart Tolle? Its very similar to what you just posted...I've been trying to read it for several weeks now, and I get the gist of it, its just putting it into practice - all that "watching your thoughts" and just simply BEING, and being happy with being, without needing to think or do anything.

One of my favourite quotes is in relation to this, just being, existing, in this moment:

"I honestly think that if people truly understood on a fundamental level that this moment right here, this moment and this moment, is all that we have, then there wouldn’t be 99.9% of the problems in the world there are right now." -- Gillian Anderson

Hmmmm yeah, just wanted to say I agree, and thanks for posting that.

x-Laura-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starbuck*)
    Have you read "The Power of NOW" by Eckhart Tolle? Its very similar to what you just posted...I've been trying to read it for several weeks now, and I get the gist of it, its just putting it into practice - all that "watching your thoughts" and just simply BEING, and being happy with being, without needing to think or do anything.

One of my favourite quotes is in relation to this, just being, existing, in this moment:

"I honestly think that if people truly understood on a fundamental level that this moment right here, this moment and this moment, is all that we have, then there wouldn’t be 99.9% of the problems in the world there are right now." -- Gillian Anderson

Hmmmm yeah, just wanted to say I agree, and thanks for posting that.

x-Laura-x
    also agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    People get so focused on negative things in their mind, and it becomes an obsession. They get mad because they are taught negativity must be experienced, understood, faced face-to-face in order to somehow be loved and a better man. This is not true.

Perhaps you get pissed off at things you get so focused on, the negative, and get mad that you have to think about it. Ask yourself this: are you blaming these negative things for being negative? Are you blaming yourself for somehow not doing something?

No man is an island, but no man is the world. There is much "suffering" in the world, but I guess this is all opinion. Starving people, people with diseases, unhappy people, pain, etc. Most of this comes right to you through other people and their self-righteous ******** about how we should feel bad for our lives because others are seen as "worse". Ignorant ******** that people say out of their own frustration and similar anger.

They shove it right down your throat and act like everyone is so bad bad bad, evil, selfish, and needs a change!!!! The truth is, every man,
    rich and poor, is still a man. If you shoot him in the leg, he will bleed just like the next man. You cannot focus on other people's beliefs, people's shame, guilt, anger, people's emotions.

The EGO is the man, but you can watch your ego. You can watch your thoughts as they come to you, or chance, you can watch as your emotions change. You still have that little awareness in the back of your mind, that which is you, who doesn't have an opinion on anything. It's just simply there, using this body and EGO as a means of surviving. Sure there is suffering, that little voice in the back of your mind is YOU, YOU are the GOD.

Your EGO is the "Devil". There is no good and evil (notice how EVIL is derrived from DEVIL and GOOD from GOD) in your ideas of them, simply difference. We are all evil. When you ignore your oneness (realize that the same force you have to control your body is exactly the same force every man uses--this is the spirit, the GOD, the connection, the one, which is YOU, which is everyone) you become frustrated, angry, confused, EMOTIONAL. You believe you are your emotions, you get more emotional by your EGO as you try to overcome the EGO. This is another way society (you know each man by his EGO, this is the personality, so it's easier to see "Evil" when you only see the man, and not the spirit which he is, which you are, which wants to be free--at peace, at understanding) gets to you. Your EGO sees other people's EGOs as threats, because the EGO is the animal in you. This is not bad, nor good, it just simply is. It distracts you. See, you are always striving for clarity. Every time you ask a question, wonder, want an answer, you're working through to find clarity. Searching for a means outside of yourself to overcome your own EGO, which is your animal, that you control.

This is why it's hard for people to see clarity. They can't see past the physical. Once you realize that the aspect of you that is YOU, that you use to make each choice, the part that you use to focus on your senses (you can focus on the feeling of your back against the chair, but you can also change this focus to some other part of your body--this is your spirit, which is YOU, which is emotionless, which is not physical, but that which simply is, which is YOU, and when you think to try to explain it and understand it, you are denying that you are this force, you are denying that you are the force that is causing the focus on your thoughts, the force that decides to get up and move, the force that is YOU).

Thoughts, imagination, etc. are recalls of the past. When you think you are repeating sounds in your head that you've heard. This is why people get pissed off hearing *beep* they don't wanna hear. Their animal, the body, doesn't wanna focus on something that it attaches negativity to. But you have the ability to let go of the negativity. Each time you feel it, recognize it isn't real. You are beyond the body (which is the animal). If everyone in society agrees with something, you would have no trouble attaching positivity, or "reward" to yourself by exploring it. If everyone in society hated something, you would attach negativity, or an animalistic "punishment", which is basically self punishment, something that makes you feel bad, as a means to avoiding it.

When you realize everyone in society is just as confused and mixed up as you are, or perhaps even moreso, you can realize that it is easy to just be. Be yourself, be what you wanna be, if you don't wanna be or do something, don't be or do it. It is your choice. Do what you gotta do, or don't. It's all your choice. When you feel pressure, it is yourself, your EGO, reflecting society in itself and trying to understand it. If you understood all pressure and stress, there would be no pressure or stress, would there?

But when you realize you understand everything, it is all good or bad, just be. It's okay.

It's all your choice. YOU are, and your happiness doesn't need to be punished because there is suffering and unhappiness in the world. In fact, put yourself in the position of the starving children. If you were starving, it would not be a big deal, would it? This would simply be your life. If you could have more, you would. The meaning of life is simply LIFE. Everything we do, we do to survive. When we give into society, it is our EGO, our senses, using their self to survive. Remember, when you get burned, your sense of touch is telling you there may be consequences for pursuing the pain. When you feel pain in your thoughts, this is your sense of hearing (which is more easily accessed on a daily basis since all of your senses can be found in your head, so you spend more of yourself up there--more focus, your spirit, as I described before)--more of your consciousness. So it's easy to find pain when you focus on painful memories.

See, if every time you felt velvet somebody hit you in your face, you wouldn't like feeling velvet, would you? Likewise, when you attach negativity to certain thoughts, you don't like thinking them. Society "gives permission" on what to think, or what not to. When you realize society does not control you, you control you, you can be free.
    i dont understand how u think. i think evry1 thinks differently in a deep way and this is your version

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    i dont understand how u think. i think evry1 thinks differently in a deep way and this is your version
    you don't believe the moment is truth?

ReputationRep:
    interesting, do you study psychology then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    you don't believe the moment is truth?

I've been trying to say what I want to say all night, but am useless putting feelings into words...so I'm stealing a quote again...'cause it captures what I want to say perfectly:

"True happiness is not found in a place or a person or a thing. If you are at peace within yourself and not fighting for the present moment to be anything other than what it is, then you can find bliss right where you are.

Whether you are sitting in a cafe with a loved one in Rome or in a traffic jam alone in the sweltering heat. And that, is the plain and simple truth of it."

Hmmmm, think that sums it up nicely

You hear so many people saying "I'll be happy when my exams are over/when I get XYZ grades/when I get into such and such a Uni/when so and so goes out with me" etc etc but what people often fail to realise is that if you're not happy now, right now, within yourself, regardless of possesions and wealth then you will never be happy. You cannot find peace by achieving certain things, or reaching specific goals. True happiness can only be found inside yourself, when you separate your 'self' from your mind (ego) and just simply "be" without the interruption of a constant stream of thoughts and distractions.

"It's all about breath. In everything. In how we are in our bodies and how we are in the presence of others. To take a moment to breathe in this moment and fully be here in mind, body and spirit even when your mind wants to wander over calls that "need" to be made or where you left your keys. It is hard! And yet this...this moment is all we have."

Remember the cliché - happiness is a journey, not a destination

x-Laura-x

ReputationRep:
    People often don't feel real however if they do not have a past to assure them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)

They shove it right down your throat and act like everyone is so bad bad bad, evil, selfish, and needs a change!!!! The truth is, every man, rich and poor, is still a man. If you shoot him in the leg, he will bleed just like the next man. You cannot focus on other people's beliefs, people's shame, guilt, anger, people's emotions.

Sorry but I cant be bothered to read it but im sure its how thought provoking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maskall.)
    Sorry but I cant be bothered to read it but im sure its how thought provoking
    lol

ReputationRep:
    all sounds very interesting.................. but i relly cant b bothered readin at this time!........... and the fact that it's sooooooo long also puts me off!

ReputationRep:
    All this is not as easy to achieve as it sounds though - seperating yourself from your ego that is....

Also, doesn't your ego and yourself influence each other and are connected in such a way that by disconnecting them you cannot ever be yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)

Are you a relativist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    All this is not as easy to achieve as it sounds though - seperating yourself from your ego that is....

Also, doesn't your ego and yourself influence each other and are connected in such a way that by disconnecting them you cannot ever be yourself?
    Well that's the ego's lie. You are not without it. Connecting you with your past, saying you cannot change or be what you want to be.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.