The Student Room Group

MPhil in IR (part 2): Where to go?

I have been accepted to both Cambridge and Oxford to read for the MPhil in International Relations. I am having difficulty deciding between the two. As I see it, the programs have the following advantages:

OXFORD:
1) 5* rating (compared to a rating of 4 at Cambridge)
2) (Arguably) better international reputation
3) Better city (nightlife, things to do besides engage in academic debate, etc.)
4) 2 year program offers a more in-depth survey of international politics

CAMBRIDGE:
1) 1 year program (I will be working in half the time)
2) Less money (only 1 year of fees)
3) Same degree

Does anyone have any recommendations, suggestions, etc.? Does anyone know whether an MPhil from Oxford would make the task of finding a job easier after the completion of my degree?

I would also like to hear from others that have been accepted by both departments. What school did you choose and why?

I would appreciate any response.

-Robert

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
robmoore
Does anyone have any recommendations, suggestions, etc.? Does anyone know whether an MPhil from Oxford would make the task of finding a job easier after the completion of my degree?

I would also like to hear from others that have been accepted by both departments. What school did you choose and why?

-Robert

I am not on the MPhil in IR, but just thought that it would be helpful to point out that even the best course from the best university does not necessary gaurantee anyone a job.

If I were you, I would consider 2 things:

a. Funding
Do you have any funding issues? If funding is limited, then try not to think about Oxford anymore, save on fees, and pick Cambridge. :wink:

b. Interests
If funding is not too big an issue, then ask yourself what do you want to get out of a MPhil IR degree? How deep are your interests in the subject? If you are intensely passionate about IR, a 2-year course will allow you to cultivate and develop your interests/knowledge in the subject much more fully than a 1-year course. Or is it the case that getting a job at the end of the course is even more important than your keen interest in the subject? If so, then either course is anyone's bet ... and as I've mentioned earlier, no course in the world will gaurantee anyone a job. (unless you are sponsored by an employer and contracted to work for them after the course)

Sorry can't help you much here. Just my 2 cents worth of comments only. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi Rob,

We have chatted on this site before, but to remind you, i have been accepted onto both IR courses at Oxford and Cambridge. I am going with Oxford, despite having been an undergrad at cambridge, for the following reasons;

-Its a new city for me
-I have funding for Oxford, but not for Cambridge
-Better reputation
-another 2 years of being a student :rolleyes:

I think i remember you saying you had an ORC scholarship for Oxford, so if you have funding, i would ignore all issues of what course is shorter and cheaper, and just focus on what you believe to be a better course (sounds like Oxford). However, if you dont have funding for either course, go with Cambridge, as the difference in reputation surely cant be worth another $30k debt..

Hope that helps,

Claire

robmoore
I have been accepted to both Cambridge and Oxford to read for the MPhil in International Relations. I am having difficulty deciding between the two. As I see it, the programs have the following advantages:

OXFORD:
1) 5* rating (compared to a rating of 4 at Cambridge)
2) (Arguably) better international reputation
3) Better city (nightlife, things to do besides engage in academic debate, etc.)
4) 2 year program offers a more in-depth survey of international politics

CAMBRIDGE:
1) 1 year program (I will be working in half the time)
2) Less money (only 1 year of fees)
3) Same degree

-Robert
Reply 3
Hey rob (and claire),
Mate you should go for Oxford. I also got into both, but rejected Cambridge the same day.
One major advantage: at Oxford we're going to be less than 20 students, compared to 60-80 at Cambridge.
Another major advantage: the course's structure is much better at Ox. At Cambridge you're expected to do a 30 000 word dissertation to submit in July. How on earth are we meant to do meaningful research between october-july while simultaneously juggling reading for our classes.
moreover, I was NOT IMPRESSED by the department's organisation in dealing with our apps. It took them 6 months to reply to mine.
finally, much of the staff at the department in cambridge aren't academics, rather teaching-only staff from the foreign office and the like. not my cup of tea.
good luck making your decision....
M
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. To answer Claire's question, I won an ORS award at Oxford and a bursary from the Cambridge Trusts (so funding is taken care of either way).

After conducting some further research, I strongly believe that the program at Oxford is (far) superior. Looks like I'll be seeing you guys in October!
Reply 5
By the way, at which colleges have you been accepted? (You may very well have told me, but I have forgotten.) I will be at New College.
Reply 6
robmoore
By the way, at which colleges have you been accepted? (You may very well have told me, but I have forgotten.) I will be at New College.

I'll be at New College as well...see you in October
Reply 7
Good choice Rob! I too was pretty appalled, despite my Cambridge alligiences, with the general handling of our applications. Also by the fact that there appears to be NO funding whatsoever for UK nationals to study IR, despite a profusion of options for foreign nationals. Where do these 70-80 students get there money?!

I am going to St Cross, a newish but old-looking graduate college just opposite St Johns, so will probably frequent your bar when i feel like a dose of 'traditional' Oxford
:wink:

See you in October!

Claire

robmoore
Reply 8
I'll be at Teddy Hall (St Edmund Hall), also in Oxford. See you in the fall!
-Anna
Reply 9
Hi all,
I'll be at St Antoy's and I'm really looking forward to seeing you all in October.

By the way would you please let me know whether you have received the Student Contract from DPIR (or maybe from your college??).
At least I haven't.....
Sorry if I am diverting too much from the topic.

Regards,
Shohei
Reply 10
shohei,
still no contact from oxford, neither dep't nor college, but no need to get worried just yet, I'm sure it'll all arrive before the end of july, ie. in next three weeks.....
Hope everyone from london is OK after the bombings, claire I know u r in the city, fingers crossed ur safe and well
regards
M
Reply 11
Thanks Madjdy for your always rapid and neat reply.
I remember that you are also livinb in London, and am glad to hear that you are right.
Wish that claire and all others in London are also safe.

regards,
shohei
Hi all,

Thanks for your concern, but i am safe and well. I was actually on the tube when the bombs went off, but the worst i suffered was an evacuation at embankment and a 2 hour journey into work. I have decided to avoid the tube at rush hour for the time being. (Is anyone else making that decision, or is the consensus that we should all try to continue using the tube as normal?)

Hope everyone else is ok,

Claire

s_sugar
Thanks Madjdy for your always rapid and neat reply.
I remember that you are also livinb in London, and am glad to hear that you are right.
Wish that claire and all others in London are also safe.

regards,
shohei
Reply 13
Claire,
Good to see you're ok! I'm not getting on the tube for the time being, my local station (russel sq) is going to be closed for the rest of the summer anyways because it's a crime scene. it's been taking a half hour walk to get home anyways the past few days because of all the street closures. REgardless, I think I'm gonna stick to walking for the time being!!! Although that may be a tiny victory for the terrorists I just don't feel safe out and about at the moment! Give it a fortnight, if all stays quiet, and they catch the cowards who did this, then I'm sure all will be back to normal.
hope we all stay safe and well until october!!!! crazy stuff
M
Reply 14
Glad to hear that you all are OK.

Anyway, have any of you received additional information from your respective colleges? I have not heard a word from either dept. or college since April/May and am starting to get a little worried. Interestingly, Trinity Hall @ Cambridge has sent me a very comprehenisve informational packet and the department has already assigned my supervisors. This comes as quite a surprise, since their handling of my applications was so terribly shoddy.

-Robert
Reply 15
One more thing...

Have you all taken a look at the reading lists for the taught courses? They are quite daunting - a typical week in Michaelmas Term seems to involve reading some 25 - 30 ENTIRE books! You can take a look at the syllabi here:

http://www.politics.ox.ac.uk/teaching/grad_ir/readinglist/index.asp

Let me know what you think...

Robert
I am pretty sure they dont expect us to read all the books on the list. If its anything like history at Cambridge, there will be an official reading list with loads of books, and each week your supervisor will help you pick out 10-12 titles that will be particularly useful. Of those you have to read some cover to cover in order to fill in the basics, but others you just dip into/read the introductory chapter to fill in some of the debate and more controversial interpretations of the subject matter. It seems very daunting, but you realise quickly that there are ways to get through it. So dont panic.

I should really have a look at the course again though, as havent looked at it since october, and dont have a very clear idea of how many courses we need to take, and when they are examined etc. Can anyone give me a quick run down?

I have not heard from department or college yet, but am expecting things to come through in late July/ August.

I am planning to visit the department either this weekend or next. I will report back on what i find!

Claire
Reply 17
Rob,
I think Claire pretty much covered your question, no need to fret about reading lists, with the vast majority of titles only a few chapters will be highly relevant, and we should be contacted by dep't and college by the end of this month.
But here's a question for you, if you don't mind me asking: have you actually accepted both your oxford and cambridge offers? I inferred from your response that both trinity hall and new college are expecting you to enroll in october. When are you planning to inform one of the two that you're not actually going to attend?
Madjdy
Reply 18
Originally, I accepted both offers b/c I was unsure whether my financial situation would permit me to attend Oxford. Circumstances have changed, and I have since notified Cambridge that I will not be attending.
Reply 19
Dear all,
Just to inform you that the much awaited packs from department and college have arrived so shohei and rob you guys can chill out now! Seeing as you're both not in the UK you should receive them in a week or so. For international students we're expected to be there for 28/9/05, otherwise we should arrive at our colleges before the 1st of October.
M

Latest

Trending

Trending