Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    exactly...

before i did core i said core was easier straight away. After doing both syllabus's i've found core much harder as a whole A level.

C4 is way harder than P3. You need to know your pure maths inside out to make it through the c4 paper. You can't really make the statement to be really true if you haven't done both pure and core.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richl)
    I saw that in a newspaper a while ago. It's true. French, however, is not as hard as it is made out to be-it's in a completely different league to other subjects such as chemistry. If numbers doing it are falling, it's because people don't think it's useful-nothing to do with difficulty. I took it because I knew it'd be fairly easy
    I agree with Bethany. Although I haven't found French that difficult, it's still a massive leap from GCSE to A-level and was mentioned in the original post as the one of the subjects people avoid taking because they have a reputation for being hard. I'm sorry, but I really don't see how you can compare languages to sciences; they're completely different subjects testing completely different skills, and just because you find chemistry harder doesn't mean everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    Judging the people who take Health & Social at our school, and get alright grades, yet do terribly in everything, I think that it would be fair to say that subjects such as H&S aren't as academically taxing as Physics, or Maths, or English, for example.
    Another point that is relevant to the arguement - if people want to study subjects such as law or psychology at uni, many top unis would prefer the candidates to NOT have A Levels in the relevant subjects. Is this because they don't view these as academically tough as more traditional subjects, or because they would rather start with a 'clean slate' and teach the subject their way, or a combination of both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    Judging the people who take Health & Social at our school, and get alright grades, yet do terribly in everything, I think that it would be fair to say that subjects such as H&S aren't as academically taxing as Physics, or Maths, or English, for example.
    That's because Health and Social Care isn't academic, it's vocational.

Another point that is relevant to the arguement - if people want to study subjects such as law or psychology at uni, many top unis would prefer the candidates to NOT have A Levels in the relevant subjects. Is this because they don't view these as academically tough as more traditional subjects, or because they would rather start with a 'clean slate' and teach the subject their way, or a combination of both?
    I think it's because they'd prefer everyone to start at the same level and be taught the same things in the same way. Considering universities don't say they won't accept 'mickey mouse' subjects, with the exception of General Studies, I don't think it's because they're easier.

ReputationRep:
    Considering universities don't say they won't accept 'mickey mouse' subjects, with the exception of General Studies, I don't think it's because they're easier.
    Quite a few of the prospectuses that I have read advise against potential applicants taking AS/A2 Law/Psychology if they are thinking of pursuing these subjects to degree level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Sorry, but who are you to make these judgements? Statistics prove that overall, the people doing languages find them to be extremely taxing A levels. As for saying they're easy compared to Chemistry, all statistical and anecdotal evidence seems to contradict this - French is the subject that all the research I've encountered shows to be the hardest to achieve in, resulting in people shying from the subjects; it's not because they think they're not useful - but I'm thinking surely you must be playing devil's advocate if you're telling the truth about having a French and linguistics offer from Oxford.
    yeah of course it's subjective. But having done both, I just know that french is much easier to revise for than chemistry. a piece of piss french is not, but we were allowed lots of time for coursework, and even the french speaking test is not like the synoptic horror of unit 6 chemistry. I reckon even if I were equal in both (which I'm not) I'd be saying the same thing. If you don't believe me just look at the content on the chemistry syllabus!

I apologise if I seemed arrogant. The sad fact is that the state of my chemistry exam (despite the time I put in for it) is likely to mean this oxford offer comes to nothing...

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few of the prospectuses that I have read advise against potential applicants taking AS/A2 Law/Psychology if they are thinking of pursuing these subjects to degree level.
    Yes, but that could just be because they want to teach the content from scratch so everyone will be at the same level and learning the same things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richl)
    But having done both, I just know that french is much easier to revise for than chemistry.
    That's quite surprising actually :eek: I would have thought a fact-heavy subject, which I'm guessing chemistry is, but please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't do it, would be easier to revise for than something that tests mostly skills rather than factual knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    That's quite surprising actually :eek: I would have thought a fact-heavy subject, which I'm guessing chemistry is, but please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't do it, would be easier to revise for than something that tests mostly skills rather than factual knowledge.
    Oh. sorry. french is much harder to revise for in a way because it's hard to know what to do. what i meant was my revision of chemistry took forever and involved a thick set of notes. french was a couple of pages. if you can pick up grammar and have the determination/interest to keep using it french should be very accessable. chemistry is just more demanding, and the content (as you rightly say) is tremendous. just to add insult to injury, the final paper is synoptic so you have to have a pretty good understanding of 2 years' worth of heavy work.

A2 french requires (speaking test aside, but even then it's not bad) little factual knowledge. AS has essays in the exam, which needs preparation to get right. But if you can remember some vocab and grammar, the A2 exams require less in the way of revision, and much less than chemistry. You can, of course, choose to avoid the coursework option and do an extra exam (in my opinion you'd have to be mad)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    exactly...

before i did core i said core was easier straight away. After doing both syllabus's i've found core much harder as a whole A level.

C4 is way harder than P3. You need to know your pure maths inside out to make it through the c4 paper. You can't really make the statement to be really true if you haven't done both pure and core.
    Yes, this is what i think.

Now, i'm not 100% sure why c4 seems to hard. But i'd just like to get rid of the idea that the new core syllabus is dumned down. because it isn't. Its just a bit less work.

ReputationRep:
    But i'd just like to get rid of the idea that the new core syllabus is dumned down. because it isn't. Its just a bit less work.
    Isn't this a contradiction in terms?
    (I don't wish to offend you, I have no opinion as to whether it's easier or not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richl)
    yeah of course it's subjective. But having done both, I just know that french is much easier to revise for than chemistry. a piece of piss french is not, but we were allowed lots of time for coursework, and even the french speaking test is not like the synoptic horror of unit 6 chemistry. I reckon even if I were equal in both (which I'm not) I'd be saying the same thing. If you don't believe me just look at the content on the chemistry syllabus!

I apologise if I seemed arrogant. The sad fact is that the state of my chemistry exam (despite the time I put in for it) is likely to mean this oxford offer comes to nothing...
    Sorry - I was in an irritable mood yesterday and overreacted a bit! I wouldn't know much about the Chemistry personally as I found the GCSE OK but couldn't have handled the AS level standard and gave it up as soon as I could! One of my old friends carried it on though - she's doing Eng Lit, German, Chemistry and History and apparently easily getting As in Chem but finding German extremely challenging.

I'm probably biased though, because I'm taking French and finding it the hardest of my AS's - crossing my fingers for an A but I just don't know. I suppose the good thing about languages compared to various other subjects is that you don't feel under as much pressure to cram in tons of revision, as it's more a process of learning it as you go along.

Best of luck with the Chemistry and meeting your offer - I'm sure it went much better than you think !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Sorry - I was in an irritable mood yesterday and overreacted a bit! I wouldn't know much about the Chemistry personally as I found the GCSE OK but couldn't have handled the AS level standard and gave it up as soon as I could! One of my old friends carried it on though - she's doing Eng Lit, German, Chemistry and History and apparently easily getting As in Chem but finding German extremely challenging.

I'm probably biased though, because I'm taking French and finding it the hardest of my AS's - crossing my fingers for an A but I just don't know. I suppose the good thing about languages compared to various other subjects is that you don't feel under as much pressure to cram in tons of revision, as it's more a process of learning it as you go along.

Best of luck with the Chemistry and meeting your offer - I'm sure it went much better than you think !
    Cheers good luck yourself! I think i said somewhere that the AS in french is harder than the A2. not sure if you're doing aqa or not but that essay paper is no fun I think you'll find A2 much easier though, even if that makes no sense now. Coursework (if you do it) is actually fairly interesting and not like coursework in most subjects and I bet you'll find the exams much less demanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Isn't this a contradiction in terms?
    (I don't wish to offend you, I have no opinion as to whether it's easier or not).
    no offense taken.

What i'm saying is that its less work to do (less syllabus to cover). But that doesn't make it easier, because as nas7232 said the a2 exams in core are harder.

I think that makes sense, harder but less work? quality not quantity?

I'm only saying this because i've come across the attitude that core maths is the "easy option". and i think thats a bit harsh, nas seems to agree and he's done both. So i he's in a good position to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    no offense taken.

What i'm saying is that its less work to do (less syllabus to cover). But that doesn't make it easier, because as nas7232 said the a2 exams in core are harder.

I think that makes sense, harder but less work? quality not quantity?

I'm only saying this because i've come across the attitude that core maths is the "easy option". and i think thats a bit harsh, nas seems to agree and he's done both. So i he's in a good position to say.
    I would disagree with that. I agree that Maths remains a challenging A-level that requires a lot of work in order to achieve a good grade. However, by spreading pure Maths over 4 units instead of 3 I can't see how that makes it harder, although I would accept that the level of difficulty of pure Maths has remained unchanged. The reason however, why I'm saying that the whole A-level has become easier is because they are taking away one applied unit. Now some would say that the applied units are easier than pure Maths but I would say its down to personal preferences. People doing the new A-level will probably only end up doing M1 and S1 as the applied units and won't extend their knowledge into a second applied unit i.e. S2 or M2. Under the old system this was necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris87)
    I would disagree with that. I agree that Maths remains a challenging A-level that requires a lot of work in order to achieve a good grade. However, by spreading pure Maths over 4 units instead of 3 I can't see how that makes it harder, although I would accept that the level of difficulty of pure Maths has remained unchanged. The reason however, why I'm saying that the whole A-level has become easier is because they are taking away one applied unit. Now some would say that the applied units are easier than pure Maths but I would say its down to personal preferences. People doing the new A-level will probably only end up doing M1 and S1 as the applied units and won't extend their knowledge into a second applied unit i.e. S2 or M2. Under the old system this was necessary.
    i would prefer an extra applied unit. Pure maths is alot harder in A2 with the new syllabus. Just because a module has been cut off, it seems like it's easier as you haven't done both before i thought the exact same as you at the start. The AS modules reinforced this, but when i did A2 i could see that core is just as hard if not harder than the previous syllabus. I know i would of benefited from the old syllabus. If you are a genious at pure then core is v.good and you will benefit, but if your attributes are spread out, core will be harder.

To say a module has been cut out, therefore it's easier is not really a true arguement because the same pure section has not remained so, the pure section has increased in difficulty significantly.

ReputationRep:
    hey nas! where you been these past few weeks, lol....how did you find the physics synoptic? I think it was ok...could have been much worse. care to hazard a guess as to what you got in Physics?

Pk

ReputationRep:
    I take offence to all of this snobbery. Quite frankly it is no business of other students taking these subjects whether social sciences are 'easier' or not, which means that the only explanation for constant putting down of the subjects is that they are trying to raise the stock of their own subjects.

I took English Literature, Law, Sociology and Media Studies. At GCSE I got straight As and A*s, but in the past two years I have worked my butt off in these subjects, and I defy anyone to tell me it is 'easier' than other subjects. They're not harder, but they sure as hell are not easier. And quite frankly, after we have all worked for 2 years on these subjects I think it is just pig headed and really, really stupid to start ****ging off others subjects.

Just because an official body said it doesn't make it true, cause guess what, they're not the ones doing the qualifications!! The Government is an official body and they were wrong about WMD in Iraq, so surely we should know by now not to take official word as gospel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    I take offence to all of this snobbery. Quite frankly it is no business of other students taking these subjects whether social sciences are 'easier' or not, which means that the only explanation for constant putting down of the subjects is that they are trying to raise the stock of their own subjects.

I took English Literature, Law, Sociology and Media Studies. At GCSE I got straight As and A*s, but in the past two years I have worked my butt off in these subjects, and I defy anyone to tell me it is 'easier' than other subjects. They're not harder, but they sure as hell are not easier. And quite frankly, after we have all worked for 2 years on these subjects I think it is just pig headed and really, really stupid to start ****ging off others subjects.

Just because an official body said it doesn't make it true, cause guess what, they're not the ones doing the qualifications!! The Government is an official body and they were wrong about WMD in Iraq, so surely we should know by now not to take official word as gospel...
    Exactly. The only reason people who don't take subjects like media studies, sociology, film studies etc yet still dismiss them as easy, a doss or mickey mouse is because they need to make themselves feel superior, and that's quite sad really.

It is extremely annoying to work really hard for a subject and come out with a decent grade only to be told it doesn't count because it's not a 'proper' subject. I 'only' got a B in media studies at GCSE, but I had to work a lot harder for that than I did for my A* in French and As in other traditional subjects.

It's amusing really when older people who haven't even done GCSEs/A-levels at all, let alone in these subjects, or some official council of interfering busybodies who think they're above everyone else, can make comments like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    It's amusing really when older people who haven't even done GCSEs/A-levels at all, let alone in these subjects, or some official council of interfering busybodies who think they're above everyone else, can make comments like this.
    well said:cheers: - i find stuff like business, media studies, english and stuff which people class as 'mickey mouse' subjects harder than the traditional ones. Its really down to how peoples minds works, and unfortunately for the people that do media studies, theer are more people that can succeed in it than say physics or maths. I think that is where this general perception comes from - the relative proportional of A-level students that get the top grades in each of these disciplines,

pk

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.