Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    well said:cheers: - i find stuff like business, media studies, english and stuff which people class as 'mickey mouse' subjects harder than the traditional ones. Its really down to how peoples minds works, and unfortunately for the people that do media studies, theer are more people that can succeed in it than say physics or maths. I think that is where this general perception comes from - the relative proportional of A-level students that get the top grades in each of these disciplines,

pk
    Didn't someone post statistics a while ago showing that more people get As in maths than in media studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Didn't someone post statistics a while ago showing that more people get As in maths than in media studies?
    From one of my earlier posts...
    (Original post by Chris87)
    Those who take A-level Maths tend to be those who do well at it at GCSE level. There are also people who do Further Maths who can get their modules moved around so they get the highest possible grade for the Maths A-level.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they did.

I don't know why exactly some subjects are considered to be micky mouse. But it is true that some a-levels are easier than others. For example last year i got an A in computing and an A in maths. (as). To get the A in computing i put very little effort in. We had about 3 times as much time as we needed for the coursework and the exams themselves seemed like gcse ict.

To get an A in maths took 100 times as much time, effort, sweat, tears.

You could say that i have "natural ability" in computing and thus found it easier but i don't really agree. The workload required for these two subjects is vastly different and the intellect required to understand the maths is far, far higher than the computing was.

So thats an example from my own experiance, and IMO not all a-levels are equal. In my opinion the maths a-level is probably as much work as 4 computing a-levels and so much harder. not an exageration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    Yes, they did.

I don't know why exactly some subjects are considered to be micky mouse. But it is true that some a-levels are easier than others. For example last year i got an A in computing and an A in maths. (as). To get the A in computing i put very little effort in. We had about 3 times as much time as we needed for the coursework and the exams themselves seemed like gcse ict.

To get an A in maths took 100 times as much time, effort, sweat, tears.

You could say that i have "natural ability" in computing and thus found it easier but i don't really agree. The workload required for these two subjects is vastly different and the intellect required to understand the maths is far, far higher than the computing was.

So thats an example from my own experiance, and IMO not all a-levels are equal. In my opinion the maths a-level is probably as much work as 4 computing a-levels and so much harder. not an exageration.
    Someone who agrees with me.

I'll make a similar comparison with Maths and AVCE ICT (some will say ICT is vocational so its not meant to be compared but most people will also say they're 'equivalent' in terms of UCAS points anyway). All you need to do for ICT is make sure you've done well on the coursework by following a checklist (that's they way they mark it). However, with Maths I find you have to have a real understanding of what goes on rather than just remembering facts (sorry but that's all ICT exams are). If I put the same amount of effort into Maths as I did with ICT I would have undoubtably failed. Even those in my class who wouldn't regard themselves as experienced Computer users managed to get a B quite easily.

I would have actually done A-level Computing rather than ICT if my school offered it as it looks more interesting and seems to be more of a challenge, however, I'm not sure how much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    hey nas! where you been these past few weeks, lol....how did you find the physics synoptic? I think it was ok...could have been much worse. care to hazard a guess as to what you got in Physics?

Pk
    I didn't like the paper, the grade boundary will be well high so i'll get a lower mark. I'm more efficient on the v.hard synoptic papers because that way the C/D candidates get U's and i'll usually get the same as i do on the easy papers lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I didn't like the paper, the grade boundary will be well high so i'll get a lower mark. I'm more efficient on the v.hard synoptic papers because that way the C/D candidates get U's and i'll usually get the same as i do on the easy papers lol
    how strange

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    In my opinion the maths a-level is probably as much work as 4 computing a-levels and so much harder. not an exageration.
    in my opinion, geog is more time consuming than maths, further maths and physics combined...no exaggerations

its down to the individual i think Zakatu...i'm **** at computers, so i'd have to work hard at it as that sort of stuff does not come naturally to me, but maths i can do in little time...eg..S2 in a week or whatever...Geog is on a level of its own for me, though others would disagree...man i worked harder to get an A in geog for AS than i did for my other three subjects combined!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris87)
    From one of my earlier posts...
    Yeah, good point. As media studies is not commonly taught at GCSE, some people probably take it because it has a reputation for being easy, and then find out it isn't and/or they're not interested in it, so don't do very well. With maths, you have to study it for 11 years before you can decide to drop it, so you'd have a very good idea of whether you like it and whether you're any good at it.

ReputationRep:
    Well as i said, it could be just me. I'm fairly good at computers but i'm not a whizz-kid. I tend to find maths harder than those in my class. But i managed to achieve an A last year so i'm not bad at that either. So, i don't think my "natural" ability in either subject is a huge factor.

Computing (i thought) is usually considered to be one of the medium/harder a levels. It certainly doesn't seem to get the same reaction as film studies etc. But i'm just saying that i found it just so much less work. I'm also not joking that the exams weren't much harder than gcse.

Computing A2 is supposed to me much harder as there is more emphasis on programming. But the example i've mentioned has proved to myself that an A is "x" subject isn't equivalent to an A in another subject.

I don't think its a co-incidence either that at my college at least those doing a selection of "academic" subjects seem to be hard working, focussed people that you see in the library while those doing vocational subjects or the so called mickey mouse subjects seem to spend 90% of their time playing pool in the common room or smoking outside.

I realise that some people see this sort of attitude as snobbery, but what can i say? Its what i've seen in my own case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yeah, good point. As media studies is not commonly taught at GCSE, some people probably take it because it has a reputation for being easy, and then find out it isn't and/or they're not interested in it, so don't do very well. With maths, you have to study it for 11 years before you can decide to drop it, so you'd have a very good idea of whether you like it and whether you're any good at it.
    V good point. I was going to take Latin GCSE as I was in the top 2 of my year at it and I really enjoyed it, but unfortunately (in retrospect) I saw some inspirational theatre productions around the time I was choosing my options. Additionally, I was already pretty ill and I thought it would be a good idea to pick something "easy". So I went with Drama, and ended up giving it up at the last minute because I couldn't cope with the acting (or the jogging bottoms :rolleyes: ) True, I was getting easy A*s in the written exams but just couldn't handle the practical part of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, do ya reckon you could help me? This is basically about 'is it more important to do subjects you enjoy, or more respected academic ones?'

Starting college in september, I've signed up to do Economics, Geography and French (which is the best subject, in my opinion!)

Anyway, got to choose a 4th subject for AS. I really want to do vocational A-level Travel and Tourism because the content looks really interesting and, having just done work experience for a travel company, I'd like to learn more about how the travel industry operates, and business operations in a practical context.

I think I want to go into either marketing or travel, and want to do a degree in french with either business/management/marketing/tourism management

I'm just worried, even if I had 3 A-levels in academic subjects, would a vocational AS prevent me from getting into a good uni? would it be better to do something more tedious for me eg. business studies or maths?

Plz help me guys! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sax gal)
    Hi Guys, do ya reckon you could help me? This is basically about 'is it more important to do subjects you enjoy, or more respected academic ones?'

Starting college in september, I've signed up to do Economics, Geography and French (which is the best subject, in my opinion!)

Anyway, got to choose a 4th subject for AS. I really want to do vocational A-level Travel and Tourism because the content looks really interesting and, having just done work experience for a travel company, I'd like to learn more about how the travel industry operates, and business operations in a practical context.

I think I want to go into either marketing or travel, and want to do a degree in french with either business/management/marketing/tourism management

I'm just worried, even if I had 3 A-levels in academic subjects, would a vocational AS prevent me from getting into a good uni? would it be better to do something more tedious for me eg. business studies or maths?

Plz help me guys! xx
    Firstly, you're totally right about French being the best subject Ans secondly, definitely go for the AVCE in travel and tourism if it's something you'll enjoy. You only need 3 A-levels for university, so having a 4th subject that's not as respected won't do you any harm at all, even at the top universities. There's no point doing something like maths if you won't enjoy it, and you're also more likely to get good grades in subjects you like, which is the most important thing. As for business studies, that's not well-respected anyway and there's no point taking that if you're already taking economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    exactly...

before i did core i said core was easier straight away. After doing both syllabus's i've found core much harder as a whole A level.

C4 is way harder than P3. You need to know your pure maths inside out to make it through the c4 paper. You can't really make the statement to be really true if you haven't done both pure and core.
    I have done a weird mix of pures and cores in the end i will come out with p1,c3,c4,p4,p5 and p6 oh and i also did methods(aqa) and to be honest the core exams are alot easier than the old pure ones as all the past papers i did where the only pure 2 and 3 some where quite challenging but in the core exam i did, firstly there were so many proofs which made it easy even if you didn't know what to do cos it told you the direction to go in, secondly well it was just easier i dont know what more to say.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.