Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi umm im really stuck on some biology coursework on "How yeast ferments different sugars faster than others"

I need to know why yeast ferments glucose,fructose and sucrose faster than galactose and lactose in scientific terms

Any offers?

ReputationRep:
    Are some mono/disaccharides whilst others are polysaccharides?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Maiden)
    Hi umm im really stuck on some biology coursework on "How yeast ferments different sugars faster than others"

I need to know why yeast ferments glucose,fructose and sucrose faster than galactose and lactose in scientific terms

Any offers?
    Because yeast can only use monosaccharides for respiration. The sugars that take longer for the yeast to use are disaccharides - they have to be broken down into monosaccharides before the yeast can use them in respiration.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Maybe more polar groups, maybe enzyme specific to one lot than another, maybe galactose is only found in milk therefore not a common source of food for the yeast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    Because yeast can only use monosaccharides for respiration. The sugars that take longer for the yeast to use are disaccharides because they have to be broken down into monosaccharides.

Hope that helps
    I am pretty sure that galactose is a monosaccride.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Thank you loads, I had to hand that in on monday! Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I am pretty sure that galactose is a monosaccride.
    I didn't actually say that galactose is a monosaccharide. I said that yeast would take longer to use disaccharides...you just deducted that I thought galactose is a monosaccharide from what Monkey_Maiden said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    I didn't actually say that galactose is a monosaccharide. I said that yeast would take longer to use disaccharides...you just deducted that I thought galactose is a monosaccharide from what Monkey_Maiden said.
    That is correct

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.