The Student Room Group
Reply 1
everyone that gets invited to a visiting day/interview gets an offer, so i wouldn't worry about it at all. just relax, don't revise anything, it's not necessary. :grin:
Reply 2
Nfixlol
everyone that gets invited to a visiting day/interview gets an offer, so i wouldn't worry about it at all. just relax, don't revise anything, it's not necessary. :grin:

ohh great! :biggrin:
so i don't need to wear a suit then...?
Reply 3
shining_star
ohh great! :biggrin:
so i don't need to wear a suit then...?

lol no, definitely not, you don't even need to wear a suit to an oxbridge interview, let alone manchester. infact, even they discourage you from wearing a suit. wear whatever you want. :yy:
Reply 4
Hi,

I went to this two years ago but hopefully can still be of some use. The interviews weren't very long - maybe 10/15 minutes? - and relatively informal. We were told that there wouldn't be any maths problems involved, just talking about why you wanted to do maths and your personal statement etc. People wore a whole range of attire from a full suit to jeans and t-shirt (both of which looked out of place) - just something smart that you feel comfortable in is probably best. I got the impression that if you turned up, and weren't a complete moron in your interview, you could be pretty sure of an offer.
Reply 5
Nfixlol
lol no, definitely not, you don't even need to wear a suit to an oxbridge interview, let alone manchester. infact, even they discourage you from wearing a suit. wear whatever you want. :yy:

that is such good news!! haha
thanks youuu
Yes no need to wear a suit. Yes it could affect your offer. The interviewer is likely to ask about your mathematical interests.
Reply 7
shining_star
that is such good news!! haha
thanks youuu

well done!!
i would say don't wear something too informal though, unless you have an offer through track. i would recommend wearing something smart (eg trousers and shirt) just to not go there and think "oh no everyone else is wearing a suit"
Reply 8
Zohair09
well done!!
i would say don't wear something too informal though, unless you have an offer through track. i would recommend wearing something smart (eg trousers and shirt) just to not go there and think "oh no everyone else is wearing a suit"

well i was thinking of maybe wearing something like a casual-ish dress (like a jersey one that goes down to mid-thigh) and then a long cardi. thick tights and flats. too casual?
i mean i do have a suit to wear...but im not very comfortable in it haha.
Reply 9
Rhys.
Hi,

I went to this two years ago but hopefully can still be of some use. The interviews weren't very long - maybe 10/15 minutes? - and relatively informal. We were told that there wouldn't be any maths problems involved, just talking about why you wanted to do maths and your personal statement etc. People wore a whole range of attire from a full suit to jeans and t-shirt (both of which looked out of place) - just something smart that you feel comfortable in is probably best. I got the impression that if you turned up, and weren't a complete moron in your interview, you could be pretty sure of an offer.

thats really helpful!
thank you :smile:
BillLionheart
Yes no need to wear a suit. Yes it could affect your offer. The interviewer is likely to ask about your mathematical interests.

Did you actually find that out? as last year and the years before that it didn't. Although, they did raise the offer this year.
Simplicity
Did you actually find that out? as last year and the years before that it didn't. Although, they did raise the offer this year.

Yes I asked one of the admissions team. Obviously yes the offer has gone up. Last year A+ was A and B in C3 C4, now it is AA, and the default is A+AA without FM. The guidelines on interviews has changed too. It is definitely getting more selective as the School's reputation goes up.

Latest