Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps,

My passport expires in August. Does anybody know if I will still be able to travel to Amsterdam with my existing passport or will I have to get it renewed?

I heard that when going to certain places abroad, your passport must be in date by a certain amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    Hi peeps,

My passport expires in August. Does anybody know if I will still be able to travel to Amsterdam with my existing passport or will I have to get it renewed?

I heard that when going to certain places abroad, your passport must be in date by a certain amount.
    when are you travelling and coming back?
    as long as you are back in england before the expiry date its fine i think.

ReputationRep:
    For some countries it must be valid for 6 months after your date of travel, but I don't know if that only applies outside the EU. Phone the citizens advice bureau, they'll be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about Holland, but when I was organising my trip to Russia this Summer I needed at least 6 months left on the passport.

but that might be different cause Russia isn't in the EU + you need a visa to visit it!

ReputationRep:
    Just get a new one, it doesn't take that much effort. Though it is expensive

(Original post by Evil Muffin)
    It will be far more expensive from July 2006 when the new biometric passports come in. You will also need to have an interview to receive your passport.

ReputationRep:
    Harsh! Its terrible how much these things cost. My American visa for next year cost £115 :eek:

Still, a passport lasts for 10 years so its worth paying for it now, rather than getting into difficulty at customs.

ReputationRep:
    Harsh! Its terrible how much these things cost. My American visa for next year cost £115 :eek:

Still, a passport lasts for 10 years so its worth paying for it now, rather than getting into difficulty at customs.
    I think british visa costs much more than that.Probably twice than that.lol.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, it didnt occur to me until today that it may have to be in date by a certain amount and im meant to be going on Sunday - I doubt i will be able to renew it in time.

Hopefully it will be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    The thing is, it didnt occur to me until today that it may have to be in date by a certain amount and im meant to be going on Sunday - I doubt i will be able to renew it in time.

Hopefully it will be ok
    I would check now, because I think you can get an urgent renewal in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_w)
    I would check now, because I think you can get an urgent renewal in some cases.
    Im going to the post office now to do my E111 form so I can check then

ReputationRep:
    Passports: Passport valid for at least 3 months after the last day of the intended visit required by all except:
    1. certain nationals of EU countries holding a valid national ID card. Enquire at the nearest Consulate/Embassy for further details.
    http://www.expedia.co.uk/daily/wg/P42481.asp

We don't have national ID cards here, so I would guess that you need to have 3 months left on your passport as above. Standard postal renewal of a British passport costs £42 at present.

You could contact the Dutch embassy in London to ask them? http://www.netherlands-embassy.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Ok,

I went into town and asked some people at this travel agents and they said its recommended that its 6 months in date, but I might be ok, it just depends how thoroughly they check the passport.

So I tried phoning up the passport people to see if i could get an ugrent passport renewal, but the said that they wouldnt be able to do it in time - so i guess it looks like im just going to have to go with this passport and hope that I'm lucky.

What is the point in an expiry date, if they recommend that your passport is at least 6 months before expiry. I mean they could just move the expiry date back 6 months....

ReputationRep:
    it's so it's valid for all of your stay. you may not leave when you say you are. but you'#re not a tourist when you stay longer than six months. so you need to have that long on it, or a visa. or both probably.

ReputationRep:
    you should be able to get a passport done in that time- i had a new one in sept which took about 1 week to get done (shoved my old one through the wash ).

Also- the netherlands are in the EU so it'll be a simple case of just flashing your passport and you'll get in fine.

edit- its ok to work/live in any EU country for an indefinate amount of time as long as you hold an EU passport (which a British one is).

ReputationRep:
    I thought you needed permission after 6 months, or maybe a year.. oh well.

you can get it done in about a day. but you have to come to liverpool. i think they still do that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I mean the thing will be in date for the whole of my stay so it should be fine.

Im leaving on the 3rd July and only staying for four days.

The earliest I could get a appointment for a new passport was on the 6th July and I would have to travel up to london to pick it up for eighty odd quid!!! sod that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalibantre)
    I thought you needed permission after 6 months, or maybe a year.. oh well.

you can get it done in about a day. but you have to come to liverpool. i think they still do that.
    Im not staying for 6 months, they just said its recommended that your passport in within 6 months of the expiry date no matter how long you are going for.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i know. its because you have to or used to have to ask to stay longer then that.

ReputationRep:
    the 6 month thing is only for some visas if I recall correctly.

Also- theres several passport offices in the UK- newport, glasgow, london, liverpool off the top of my head.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.