Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    It is legally and socially recognised for a man to wed a woman. That is because a man and woman offer the basis of a family.
    If a woman who cannot give birth decides to get married, this concept is not altered.
    How so? If the purpose of marriage is a family, then how can a barren heterosexual couple be more of a family than a homosexual couple?

(Original post by Vienna)
    If we alter the legal and social recognition for same sex marriage, we discount that feature of marriage that distinguishes it above other forms of relationship and union. To discount that premise of the family, is to undermine the universal message of marriage and to reduce it to a legal agreement.

That poses a threat to our children, the family and our society.
    We dont at all. Mariage remains what it is - a legal and moral committment to another for life; a public promise to be faithful and share each other's lives.

Regardless, I really dont see the evidence that allowing men to marray men detracts from the importance of traditional marriage.

Our children? lol ... :rolleyes: come vienna... people always roll out "the kids the kids" in order to justify illiberal attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Oh, come on! The quote from Genesis says that man will leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife. It doesn't say '...and will cleave to his husband' does it?

As I predicted - you refuse to acknowledge the point that the Bible does not mention that marriage is for man and man.
    It is a non sequitur to say that it forbids it. The Bible hasn't mentioned it, this doesn't mean that it automatically forbids it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Oh, come on! The quote from Genesis says that man will leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife. It doesn't say '...and will cleave to his husband' does it?

As I predicted - you refuse to acknowledge the point that the Bible does not mention that marriage is for man and man.
    It doesnt say we can eat twinkies either. I dont think ill burn in all eternity though if I do.

What about saying "fo shizzle"? Not explicitly condoned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Yes, Ndgaarondi, Spain's government is secular.
    Secular governments cannot use religion to justify law making changes according to what religion says in theory otherwise there's no point in being secular to start with.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Secular governments cannot use religion to justify law making changes according to what religion says in theory otherwise there's no point in being secular to start with.
    And that is presumably why they are going ahead with it. Although whether they have the mandate to do so is another question - I bet it was'nt in their election manifesto. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Lawz-)
    It doesnt say we can eat twinkies either. I dont think ill burn in all eternity though if I do.

What about saying "fo shizzle"? Not explicitly condoned?
    Facetiousness really doesn't suit you, Lawz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    And that is presumably why they are going ahead with it. Although whether they have the mandate to do so is another question - I bet it was'nt in their election manifesto. :rolleyes:
    Wouldnt have mattered - the polls in spain show clear majorities in favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    Correct, so it is wrong to assume that god would forbid it.
    It's crystal clear and you know it.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Wouldnt have mattered - the polls in spain show clear majorities in favour.
    Do they? :confused: Have you got a link to them please? I would be interested to see how close it was - or not, as the case may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It's crystal clear and you know it.
    No, it is not. The only thing that is crystal clear is peoples interpretations of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Do they? :confused: Have you got a link to them please? I would be interested to see how close it was - or not, as the case may be.
    I am sure Lawz will find you evidence of such a poll with great ease, as could be found for many other Western Democracies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Doesn't matter if it was not in their manifesto or not as sovereignty lies with the politicians more so than the electorate. Just look at Labour on higher education funding.

ReputationRep:
    Really? What makes you come to that conclusion?
    Any idea how easy it is to get a divorce nowdays? Because marriage is nothing more than a civil contract that is woefully easy to break we have 50% divorce rate in the US.

Any excuse.

"He picks his nose in the car so I want a divorce"
    "Granted"

It's absolutely pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    No, it is not. The only thing that is crystal clear is peoples interpretations of it.

What? "A man will leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife"

WTF do you interpret that to mean God approves of gay marriage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    http://www.changingattitude.org/news..._marriage.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4636133.stm

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html

ReputationRep:
    Any idea how easy it is to get a divorce nowdays? Because marriage is nothing more than a civil contract that is woefully easy to break we have 50% divorce rate in the US.

Any excuse.

"He picks his nose in the car so I want a divorce"
    "Granted"

It's absolutely pathetic.
    I'm not going to disagree with you, that is your opinion, and one which i share.

I don't see how same-sex marriages are going to make it any easier to get a divorce though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Facetiousness really doesn't suit you, Lawz.
    Its my best quality.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how same-sex marriages are going to make it any easier to get a divorce though?
    They're not. I was answering another point that was raised.

ReputationRep:
    I say ban heterosexual marriages just to annoy a whole bunch of people.

ReputationRep:
    What? "A man will leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife"

WTF do you interpret that to mean God approves of gay marriage?
    Precisely. That quote does not even mention the position on same sex marriage, it would therefore be wrong to assume that god opposed it.

Does god provide a definition of the word "wife"?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.