Turn on thread page Beta

Spain legalizes same-sex marriages watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    No. Some, such as Vienna, think it will undermine the fabric of society, and devalue the "cornerstone" - marriage between a man and woman. Never mind the fact that you can get drive-thru divorces now...
    I want to see marriage protected and restored, not further undermined because a proportion of society see it as a means to acquire. The fact that we have drive thru divorces should be alarming to you, not another reason to reduce marriage to a legal contract that can be severed at will.

You do disagree with drive thru divorces?

ReputationRep:
    i believe its legal in canada to.
    i wont post the entire artcles and i dont have the actualy link but if any one is interest
    http://www.vortext.net/ 1st post (its only a blog like and the top post is the one im refering to)

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps marriage is now seen as outdated? Having witnessed a wedding I can see why people view as outdated with the bride in white signifying virginity and being passed over by her father to the soon to be wedded father like property as one of my lecturers to put it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Evidence for same sex marriage? That they exist, what?
    That a same sex couple can't do just as good a job raising children as a straight couple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    That a same sex couple can't do just as good a job raising children as a straight couple.
    I dont think I said that.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think I said that.
    If it wasn't meant I apologise, but that's what you implied... Your answer to beekeeper's post on conformity suggested that studies show that children grow up best in a relationship which conforms to social norms. Given the nature of this thread I assumed that you meant same sex couples by couples who don't conform. Was that a misinterpretation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skevvybritt)
    If it wasn't meant I apologise, but that's what you implied... Your answer to beekeeper's post on conformity suggested that studies show that children grow up best in a relationship which conforms to social norms.
    I didnt suggest that either. It was Beekeeper who suggested that homosexuals just wanted to live a "normal" heterosexual life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Canada legalised it before Spain.
    Canada hasn't yet legalised it, as the bill has yet to be passed by the Senate and receive the Assent, though it is legal in some of the provinces I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Canada hasn't yet legalised it, as the bill has yet to be passed by the Senate and receive the Assent, though it is legal in some of the provinces I believe.
    About 70% of it was at one point.

ReputationRep:
    I want to see marriage protected and restored, not further undermined because a proportion of society see it as a means to acquire. The fact that we have drive thru divorces should be alarming to you, not another reason to reduce marriage to a legal contract that can be severed at will.

You do disagree with drive thru divorces?
    I dont really see that forceing people to stay together solves anything. I think we need to promote responsibility and try to ensure a healthy environment for family. However, I dont see that making divorce harder does much, nor indeed do I see any evidence that two women getting married makes the vows of marriage between two people any less important or weighty.

ReputationRep:
    Its neither of the options you provided.
    So what IS the purpose of marriage?

"Barren" couples would get married within the scope of the law. A law that reflects a moral understanding that marriage specifically discriminates in favour of the family. Changing the definition of marriage and removing that discrimination, removes the very reason why marriage is a foundation for our society.
    I dont really follow. If the purpose of marriage is family, and two people are barren, then surely their union is outside the scope of that purpose.

As said - what is the purpose of marriage, and how does the marriage of two men detract from that anymore than two barren people getting married? What difference is there between those people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't think there is much evidence. Same sex parents are rarer than rocking horse **** so how can we compile much in the way of empirical evidence?
    Rocking horse what? Im curious about this new "howardism".

ReputationRep:
    $ hit

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Rocking horse what? Im curious about this new "howardism".
    Howard is being Howard! It's nothing new.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.