The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Went terribly, more scribbled out stuff on my paper than not scribbled out. On the plus side the small number of questions that went well were the ones worth most marks.

The paper seemed to be harder than July 2003, which you only needed 50/75 in to get 80 UMS. What do you think will be needed for an A in this paper? Surely they darent set it lower than 50?

I think I need 72 UMS to get an A overall.

How come you have offers of AA and AB? Is that because you've already got one A-level?
Reply 2
I didn't like the relative velocity questions. Other than that, it was fine.
Reply 3
I didn't like the overall feel of the paper. It took me ages to figure out the potential energy question (I used the sine-rule to figure out the length of the string and I got an extention of (6lcosθ-l) for the PE of the rod I got -mglcos2θ ). Other than that there were a lot of "show that" type of questions where I got the same result. So I should be fine, especially considering how well the other exams went.

Did you get 60 for the bearing as well and 1.27h for the earliest time of interception? For the last question I got something like x=e-wt(3U/10wsin2wt - 2U/5wcos2wt) + 2U/5w
Reply 4
I thought it was reasonable.
I did most of the showing questions. I couldn't get the differential equation for part b out (last question), so I just bluffed it by working backwards. I'll lose a few marks there. I was quite stretched for time when I got to the last part, and so at the end I was just scribbling down stuff. I'm not too sure if my last line was legible, but I'm not too bothered.
Basically, better than I thought it would be!
Reply 5
atgeflü
Did you get 60 for the bearing as well and 1.27h for the earliest time of interception? For the last question I got something like x=e-wt(3U/10wsin2wt - 2U/5wcos2wt) + 2U/5w

I like the 60° and the last question answer, except I got one of the arbitary constants to be 0 :confused:
6Ns for impulse, 0 ±π/3 for stability, sound familiar?
The 1.27h, hmm... well I didn't manage to do ANY of q6. But apart from that I answered everything and I reckon I got the majority of the other marks. It was a fairly hard paper though. I'm just glad it's all over now. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Yeah, stability one I definitely got.
I also got 1.27 hrs, if I remember correctly.
I think I got 9.something for the impulse though. Ah well, was only a couple marks.
Reply 7
Daft Wader
I like the 60° and the last question answer, except I got one of the arbitary constants to be 0 :confused:
6Ns for impulse, 0 ±π/3 for stability, sound familiar?
The 1.27h, hmm... well I didn't manage to do ANY of q6. But apart from that I answered everything and I reckon I got the majority of the other marks. It was a fairly hard paper though. I'm just glad it's all over now. :biggrin:

I got 1Ns for impulse but I didn't have too good a feeling there. 0 ±π/3 is also what I got for equilibrium. Did you get √52 (7.21ms-1) for the speed as well?
Reply 8
Yeah, I got that for the speed.
Reply 9
atgeflü
Did you get √52 (7.21ms)-1

YES! :biggrin: The my penultimate line for impulse was I = ½(8-(-4)) if that helps.
Question 6 will bug me now. :frown:
Reply 10
Daft Wader
YES! :biggrin: The my penultimate line for impulse was I = ½(8-(-4)) if that helps.
Question 6 will bug me now. :frown:

That line does help. Now I know what I got wrong. (hits head against wall - should * have * revised * momentum)
Reply 11
that was a horrible exam. i hated it.

i got some bits right, but loads i couldnt do :frown:

at least im only taking further maths AS, so it wont affect my overall A-levels which I hope to do well in

aaaaaaaaaaarrrghh :frown:
Reply 12
What would be the A grade boundary for this paper then?
Reply 13
M4 went quite well (not as well as M6!)... I got all the same answers as you guys but I think I screwed up Q1... apart from that i think i got all the other answers right! yay!
Reply 14
davedave
How come you have offers of AA and AB? Is that because you've already got one A-level?

cos my dumb school made me cash in normal maths last year - my further maths starts from scratch:frown: - hope i get an A overall, or i'm screwed for my firm and insurance:eek:

pk
Reply 15
freemyice
What would be the A grade boundary for this paper then?

Ask the exam's broad or Edexcel..
I personally think it might be greater than last year 'cuz most of students in my school did well. I don't know the rest of you think of it...

Latest