Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok..my a-levels are over thank god. But now i'm sh*ttin it coz i don't think i've got the ABB i need for my 1st choice uni. I really have my heart set on my firm and don't wanna go to my conditional or go next year coz of tuition fees.
    If i don't get the grades, i think it'll just be a few marks in it. Are uni's really stingy about getting the exact grades or can they be lenient. What can i do to save my ass on the 18th ?

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rude_boy_86)
    ok..my a-levels are over thank god. But now i'm sh*ttin it coz i don't think i've got the ABB i need for my 1st choice uni. I really have my heart set on my firm and don't wanna go to my conditional or go next year coz of tuition fees.
    If i don't get the grades, i think it'll just be a few marks in it. Are uni's really stingy about getting the exact grades or can they be lenient. What can i do to save my ass on the 18th ?

Any help?
    Hmmm, well it's a bit late now worrying that you're not going to get the grades, because to be honest there's absolutely nothing you can do! A few months ago, yes, you could have saved yourself by revising more and all that, but now, well you have to leave it to the universities.

Firstly, if you miss out on your grades by a tiny bit, some universities will be lenient and let you in, however this all depends on how all of the other applicants have done, if they've all got the grades needed then the uni probably won't let you in, if they've all done worse than you then you'll probably be let in. The best thing you can do is on results day phone the uni and ask them.

Secondly, you'll most likely get into your insurance choice, if you don't even make the grades for that, then phone them too, same as for your firm!

Two last options:

1. When you phone either your firm or insurance and they say "no" then ask them if there are any similar courses which you would be accepted on if they need more people on them. When I couldn't get into Durham on Geography they offered me to do Geography & Environmental Management with the grades I had...worth a try and saves going through clearing!

2. If that fails, go through clearing. If you get there fast enough there are always a few decent courses you can get, though after that it seems to be pretty crappy courses that you can only get through clearing! If you seriously don't want to face top-up fees then it's the only thing you can do!

Hope it helps Good luck with getting the grades anyway

ReputationRep:
    Which course and which university have you got as your firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Which course and which university have you got as your firm choice?
    Leeds - Firm - ABB - Economics
    Cardiff - Insurance - BBB - Banking and finance

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is wait. If lots of people miss their offers or the course is undersubscribed or if your application was strong then they may take you with lowered grades. They do not have to however. Until the 18th all you can do is hope for the best, i had exactly the same fears as you last year. I dropped a grade and luckily i was still accepted.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just a quick query;

My firm choice offer (Leeds) is B in A2 German and a Pass/Pass/Merit in my college course.

My insurance choice offer (Nottingham) is a higher offer; B in A2 German and Merit/Merit/Merit in my college course.

Now I really have my heart set on Leeds, so surely if I don't get in Leeds I won't have a chance in hell of getting in at Notts? *i'd rather go thru clearing to go elsewhere than to end up in Notts, i've really changed my mind about wanting to go there*

Weird how my insurance offer is higher than my firm, but that's all good for I only wanna go to my firm!

Anybody else in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    i have my get out card if i don't get into hallam ....

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to get into your insurance if you get the grades for your first... as far as i know. When you sign the contract, there's no way out i've been told.

ReputationRep:
    I've posted a new thread about how to prepare for results day. If you spend a few hours now, you can significantly decrease your stress on the 18th August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenratio)
    It's impossible to get into your insurance if you get the grades for your first... as far as i know. When you sign the contract, there's no way out i've been told.
    There's no contract as such. Your university can release you to another. Cambridge have a procedure set up to deal with it. Some universities may baulk initially, but do they really want an unhappy student coming there?

However, if you don't want to go to your first choice, tell them now. Some poor soul will miss their offer and be turned down by your first choice, because they think they haven't any places. If you've freed up a place, they can make someone happy without costing you anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rude_boy_86)
    Leeds - Firm - ABB - Economics
    Cardiff - Insurance - BBB - Banking and finance
    (ahem) whats wrong with cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff and Leeds arent that much apart in terms of quality (altho both aint that great), but for Economics im sure Leeds is quite competitive, but you could still stand a chance should you just miss your OFFER by one grade. Im sort of in the same situation as you grade wise and am hoping they'll be lenient. Just have the admissions hotline number on your phone for results day, and soon as you find out give em a ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afireinside©)
    so surely if I don't get in Leeds I won't have a chance in hell of getting in at Notts?
    Actually, they could choose to accept you - it's up to them. If you know you don't want to go (although it's a lovely pace and the nicest uni I've been to) then write to them and UCAS now. Then you can go straight to clearing if you've missed. Otherwise, you might have problems getting into clearing and miss out on a place elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    All you can do now is wait for your results and hope you get ABB. If you don't, phone your firm choice and ask them if they'll still take you. They might have decided already because they get the results a few days early, so if a lot of people missed their offers and you only dropped a grade, they might still let you in. It would definitely be worth mentioning if you were really close, ie you got ABC but the C was 415 UMS, or if your other UMS marks were high. If your firm won't accept you and you got the grades for your insurance, I think I'm right in saying that you're legally obliged to go there unless they agree to release you, in which case you can go into clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Can I point out that you have no legal obligation to go anywhere. The university is obliged to take you (subject to its regulations), but you are not under any obligation to go.

If you don't go and if the uni don't release your application, you simply can't apply through UCAS (or clearing) to go anywhere else in this academic year. However, you could still apply directly to a university (they aren't obliged to use UCAS, although most won't take students directly).

Most universities will release you to go somewhere else, because it's not in their interests to do otherwise. However, few, if any will be happy about it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.