Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is completely crazy. Some of you might remember that I ordered a phone with dialaphone but today they called me and said that 02 are not authorised to give me a phone on their network because I have a bad credit rating.

Eh?!!

I've never bought a phone with them, I don't owe anyone any money. The only things I've used my card for are in shops and online (amazon, etc.) I called O2 and they said they can't access this information and dialaphone can't provide me a reason.

:dong: What are you supposed to do about apparently bad credit ratings when you don't even deserve them?

ReputationRep:
    You had a lucky escape, you really don't want to be on O2 :laugh:

It might just be that you don't have much of a credit record rather than a bad one - do you have any loans, credit cards, overdrafts, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    This is completely crazy. Some of you might remember that I ordered a phone with dialaphone but today they called me and said that 02 are not authorised to give me a phone on their network because I have a bad credit rating.

Eh?!!

I've never bought a phone with them, I don't owe anyone any money. The only things I've used my card for are in shops and online (amazon, etc.) I called O2 and they said they can't access this information and dialaphone can't provide me a reason.

:dong: What are you supposed to do about apparently bad credit ratings when you don't even deserve them?
    Maybe your parents have a bad credit rating because it sometimes goes on your address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    It might just be that you don't have much of a credit record rather than a bad one - do you have any loans, credit cards, overdrafts, etc?
    No I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Maybe your parents have a bad credit rating because it sometimes goes on your address.
    Really? But that would be absurd. There are 7 people living in this house - so if something little goes wrong with one of them, everyone else gets a bad rating? :confused:

Having said that, I doubt my parents have a poor rating - they've had no problems buying anything before.

ReputationRep:
    it could come from your postcode. you haven't had any cards/anything stolen with your details on have you? if so someone could be running up bills in your name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    it could come from your postcode. you haven't had any cards/anything stolen with your details on have you? if so someone could be running up bills in your name.
    I sure hope not. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    haha! just go with another network, if they're gonna be like that then they dont deserve your money! orange is better anyway for reception in my experience

sometimes its not that your credit rating is bad but that you don't have a credit rating

ReputationRep:
    No I don't.
    Then you won't have a credit rating - if you don't have any borrowings, then they won't know how good you are at paying them back.

Get a credit card and use it a couple of times then pay off in full. Cut it up if you don't want to be tempted then never use it again - that's how you build up good credit.

ReputationRep:
    Really? But that would be absurd. There are 7 people living in this house - so if something little goes wrong with one of them, everyone else gets a bad rating? :confused:

Having said that, I doubt my parents have a poor rating - they've had no problems buying anything before.
    yup - and it affects the whole area. even if you move into a house where the previous tenants had a bad credit rating it can affect you.

ReputationRep:

Yep, I'm pretty sure it goes on address. A friend of mine had real trouble getting a phone line in her student house because the people that had lived there before had a bad credit rating, so annoying, but unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Yep, I'm pretty sure it goes on address. A friend of mine had real trouble getting a phone line in her student house because the people that had lived there before had a bad credit rating, so annoying, but unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it :mad:
    That's not because of bad credit rating - that's because the previous occupiers screwed BT over and (understandably) they are hesitant to open another account to the address in case it happens again. BT take no proof of ID when opening an account (except where fraud has occurred at the address in the past) and so they largely open accounts on trust - you could use a fake name if you wanted to and probably still get an account with them.

If someone unrelated to you (a present/past resident at the same address) has bad credit and it is reflecting on you, then you can file for a 'Notice of Disassociation' with the credit reference agencies in order to show companies that do a credit reference search on you that you are not associated with the financially 'dodgy' person.

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions regarding credit records and credit referencing on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    That's not because of bad credit rating - that's because the previous occupiers screwed BT over and (understandably) they are hesitant to open another account to the address in case it happens again. BT take no proof of ID when opening an account (except where fraud has occurred at the address in the past) and so they largely open accounts on trust - you could use a fake name if you wanted to and probably still get an account with them.

If someone unrelated to you (a present/past resident at the same address) has bad credit and it is reflecting on you, then you can file for a 'Notice of Disassociation' with the credit reference agencies in order to show companies that do a credit reference search on you that you are not associated with the financially 'dodgy' person.

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions regarding credit records and credit referencing on this forum.
    but there are still effects from previous tenants having a bad credit rating. it's frustrating that you have to go through the bother of filing for a "notice of disassociation" at all, but as some whole areas have bad histories with credit rating companies that's how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but in the specific case of BT it's not based on bad credit records - it's based on actual records of defaults and bad debt to previous occupants. I lived in a student house and the previous occupants had left £200 worth of BT bills unpaid. I didn't have a problem getting the line reconnected in my name and didn't know about the debt for a couple of months until we started getting letters from debt collectors, but nobody ever came round to collect so shows how much they talk out of their a*** :rolleyes:.

I do have a friend who had a problem with BT because of past tenants in his flat, and he had to pay a deposit to BT in the end to get connected

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I'd be able to go on a contract if I go to a different network, etc.?

Are you even ABLE to go on contracts if you have got a lack of rating?

ReputationRep:
    You can try other networks, you've got nothing to lose. IME Orange are quite lenient but it seems quite random who they would accept and decline in some cases (I worked for them for 3 years).

It's certainly not impossible, but more difficult if you have never had credit in your name. I got a full service bank account just before I was 18 and a credit card just after I turned 18. Got an Orange contract phone a month later and built up from there.

Also depends on how you answer the 'credit' questions - like occupation, living status, etc. If you have a part time job, then saying that you are part-time employed can be better than student. If you are 'living with parents' then you have an advantage over being 'tenant furnished' or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I'd be able to go on a contract if I go to a different network, etc.?

O2 declined me for an apparently bad credit rating, despite not having a credit card, loan or phone contract before. Vodafone accepted me no problem.

ReputationRep:

my friend who was on o2 and never payed his bills managed to get a contract phone with orange, try them, they have really good student packages, i'd get it if i was living in england permanently.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Request your credit wotsit from Experian and Exquifax - it should cost about £2, but currently Experian are doing it for free! Then check that everything is OK.

If someone living at your house has a bad credit history then they may have linked you and given you bad credit too, but you can ask to be disassociated with them so yours will be good again.

I'd say don't try again til you've checked. If you are declined again then you will have lots of searches in your history, future lenders will think you're desperate and you'll become even more of a risk.

ReputationRep:
    You had a lucky escape, you really don't want to be on O2 :laugh:
    My thoughts exactly. In my mind, o2 are the poorest network for quality.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.