The Student Room Group

Do you think these Universities will accept or decline me?

Hey everyone, ill just introduce myself quickly as I'm rather new to student room. My names Chris, I'm 17 and at my last year at 6th form. I have just applied for 5 different universities and was wondering if you think they will accept or decline me. I know a lot of you will look at this and probably get away from this thread which is completely fair. Its just I am a very very nervous person and talking to other people in the same situation as me and hearing other peoples thoughts and opinions comforts me.
For any people looking at the rough time of how long it takes unviersities to get back to you I will update this with what information I have recieved since I sent my application form.
Right, well I have applied to take Maths at all the universities and the current grades I have are:

GCSE's (took approx. 11-13) - all between A*- C grade (generally all at least A grade)

AS Levels - A Maths, A Product Design, B Physics, C Geography

Predicted A Levels - A* Maths, A* Product Design, A Physics

Application form sent on 27/11/2009

The universities I have applied for, the grades they want, what type of course Im hoping to take, whether I live at home or away and their ranking in the Gaurdian subject 2010 guide (it varies from table to table as you are probably aware):

Hertfordshire, 240 UCAS points (360 for the specific scholarship), BSc, live at home, ranked 9th {offer - 03/12/2009}

Kings College London, AAA, MSci, live at home, ranked 32nd

Leicester, AAB, MMath, live away from home, ranked 6th {acknowledged - 14/12/2009}

Southampton, AAA, MMath (hons), live away from home, ranked 24th {offer - 15/12/2009}

Loughborough, AAB, MMath, live away from home, ranked 27th

As you are aware I have chosen a couple of universities which I could stay at home for which really does not bother me as to me the main reason I am at university is to study (obviously partying too haha but not as important) and i know at home I can work well,have all the support of my family, still party and crash at peoples places and save thousands upon thousands and get myself a nice little motor! However I dont know if universites prefer if you live at home though so if you have any thoughts on that it would be much appreciated.

Well thanks very much for reading this and any thoughts, opinions and answers would be so helpful to me
Reply 1
If you have a decent personal statement and your predicted grades match the offers you should be OK.

Curious question, though: Why didn't you take Further Maths?
Reply 2
In order to take Further Maths at my school yuo required an A* at Maths at GCSE. My Mathematical skills weren't up to top noth in year 11 and it wasn't until year 12 when my maths rocketed through the roof and things took a turn for the best and I started flying at Maths. My school has offered AS further maths for us and I have tried it, however it meant 2 hours after school twice a week, plus three hours during my free periods a week and like my maths teacher (also UCAS tutor) said, if you think this will affect you getting A*,A*,A then drop it as a uni would much rather an A* in maths then say a C,C in further maths and maths and so I dropped it :frown:
I do wish however that I got an A* in year 11, but oh well, to be honest none of my universites I have applied for specifiy further maths.
Reply 3
oh btw, could you quote me please, just so this thread is easy to get to via my homepage
thanks
Reply 4
RamsFanNo1
In order to take Further Maths at my school yuo required an A* at Maths at GCSE. My Mathematical skills weren't up to top noth in year 11 and it wasn't until year 12 when my maths rocketed through the roof and things took a turn for the best and I started flying at Maths. My school has offered AS further maths for us and I have tried it, however it meant 2 hours after school twice a week, plus three hours during my free periods a week and like my maths teacher (also UCAS tutor) said, if you think this will affect you getting A*,A*,A then drop it as a uni would much rather an A* in maths then say a C,C in further maths and maths and so I dropped it :frown:
I do wish however that I got an A* in year 11, but oh well, to be honest none of my universites I have applied for specifiy further maths.

Fair enough :smile: Yes, in that case I think it was a wise decision. Good luck getting in to the uni's, the only one you may have an issue with is Southampton but they don't often interview and most of what they look at is the Personal Statement so make it good :smile:
Reply 5
Its all done, it was sent yday and I'm hoping to get applications as soon as possible, just so so worried that knowing my luck I'll get none. Actually I've got an idea, I'll send you my personal statement in a private emssage, so get ready haha :smile:
Reply 6
Pretty sure you'll get offers bro
Reply 7
Thanks a lot mate, appreciate that. Good luck with yours too, if you haven't already got 5 offers :smile:
Reply 8
Any more thoughts and opinions on the matter, I will keep editing this when I recieve any information from the universities :smile:
Reply 9
No more opinions? :frown:
You'll more than likely get offers from all 5.

Latest