Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    found this earlier:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/publ...university.pdf

was very interested to see that recruitment still is primarily from the top 30 or so universities, despite their claims to be meritocratic etc

was also suprised that applications were relatively low in comparison to my expectations as they are one of the few schemes that will look at people with 2.2s

ReputationRep:
    That is really interesting cheers

ReputationRep:
    its also interesting to compare with the previous year. The same unis get the jobs. But is this a bias or just some unis not equipping students with the right skills. And is the application rate low because people are advised not to apply. If they've never recruited from ___ uni why bother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    its also interesting to compare with the previous year. The same unis get the jobs. But is this a bias or just some unis not equipping students with the right skills. And is the application rate low because people are advised not to apply. If they've never recruited from ___ uni why bother?
    Its hardly surprising at all, but you have a good point about the skills bias thing.

My guess is its a bit of both. Certain institutions are always biased towards certain universities and tnat is not always the top universties. In the case of the Cabinet Office though it seems that it is.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't just the cabinet office. Faststream is the main civil service recruitment method. I did it in 2002 and only got through a few rounds. Can't find the details for that year but its interesting that from the data available there no student has been recruited from my uni for years.
    Unless you get into civil service that way there is no point doing civ service at all, their internal promotions on the whole are useless. At my work we had our grads on AA salaries which is about 10k PA (one of the guys had a Phd seriously!!), and AO which I started on which is 12kand up depending on what agency you are in. The people who were getting promoted to EO which is the grade the fast stream grads start on, were graduates in their early 30s who had been with the organisation for up to ten years.
    That salary is only 18k.
    Also as it is one of the few grad schemes with supposedly lower entry grades. 22 ucas points and a 2.2 minimum it would be very interesting to know whether the only people they recruit with 2.2s are from top ten unis.

ReputationRep:
    Its all rather depressing then, my mates in the cival service, he is a none graduate on £10k but he has no promotion prospects at all.

I think a lot of these schemes are a waste of time for a lot of us, unless you have a nice 2:1+ from Oxbridge in a good subject.

I am certainly going to try and avoid graduate schemes.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it would be interesting to write down the 10 uni's with the most applications and its amazing to see the difference in numbers between oxbridge and everywhere else.

uni sucessful applications

Oxford 90
    Cambridge 77
    Durham 21
    Bristol 20
    Edinburgh 20
    LSE 18
    UCL 14
    Warwick 14
    Nottingham 13
    Birmingham 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    i thought it would be interesting to write down the 10 uni's with the most applications and its amazing to see the difference in numbers between oxbridge and everywhere else.

uni sucessful applications

Oxford 90
    Cambridge 77
    Durham 21
    Bristol 20
    Edinburgh 20
    LSE 18
    UCL 14
    Warwick 14
    Nottingham 13
    Birmingham 10
    You also have to remember the fact that oxbridge applications are triple that of other universities, although some bias seems obvious

Previous year:

Cambridge 92
    Oxford 90
    Durham 25
    Nottingham 25
    Bristol 20
    Warwick 19
    Edinburgh 17
    Sheffield 15
    Manchester 12
    LSE 11
    UCL 11

Basically the same distribution, I wonder what it is they are looking for and why similar universities such as York do that much worse :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Don't compare the actual numbers in - look at the % success for each uni - the table is then different - LSE has more % success than both Oxford and Cambridge

LSE = 13.4%
    Cantab = 11.8%
    Oxon = 12.3%

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.