Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,
    as you can see, I am new to this forum. I am starting IB in September and now I am at the stage of choosing my subjects so I went through some of the topics here and found many useful pieces of information. However, I am still not 100% sure about my subjects. Here is my preliminary list:

Self-taught Slovak SL
    English B HL
    History - Europe HL
    Physics SL
    Maths HL
    German SL or Design Technology SL (I am still undecided...)

What do you think of this choice? Especially Maths HL seems quite difficult to me since I don't think I have good basics from my previous school. I also don't know if it is a good idea to study three languages (Slovak, English and German). And history... I chose the higher level because I am interested in it, but in fact, I am planning to study informatics/computer graphics (although this is not a final decision, needless to say) so history isn't essential for me. I can still change my choice, so any pieces of good advice are welcome

ReputationRep:
    Three languages (Slovak, English and German) are not hard. My classmates were doing these and they say english and german are easy.
    Other subjects look good to me but are you sure about history HL? I think Physich (or even german) would be better choice for HL.

ReputationRep:
    My advise:

dont do Maths HL if you dont feel really comfortable with it because it is a lot of work...
    try English A2, it has much better reutation
    history does not really matter what level you take...
    take computer science if you wanna do what u said later in your life..........

DO IT ^^ !

ReputationRep:
    bear in mind that you can change your subjects later (our school allows any changes during september) - in other words: go for this maths, you can always drop out!
    as for languages, i think it should be ok - slovak is probably your native tongue so it should be fine (though i must say i have no experience with self-taught), english should be easy as joke for you since you're studying in english and as for german, i think that SL languages are pretty easy

ReputationRep:
    Wow, nice to meet people from Slovakia and Czech Republic here By the way, Stevko, where do you study? GJH?
    Fortunately, I can change subjects in September - if I couldn't, I wouldn't choose Maths HL It seems really difficult, but manageable - I think it also depends on the concrete school and its teachers, so I will see in September. Maybe one general question: Is it better to have lower marks (e.q. 5) from Maths HL or better marks from Math Methods (as for the university entrance)?
    I don't feel like taking English A2. I am somewhere at FCE level so I am probably not prepared to start literary course in September. Or am I wrong?
    Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer computer science. It's a pitty, this course seems really interesting to me.
    Why do you think I shouldn't take history HL? Is there a big difference between History HL and SL? I was also thinking of taking Physics HL and History SL, but then somebody told me that if I took both Physics HL and Maths HL, I wouldn't have any social life

ReputationRep:
    As for History, i'd recommend you take better SL if you're not sure about it. I think SL is MUCH easier than HL - just compare the exam, in SL it consists of source analysis + 2 essays, in HL the same + another 3 essays (which are more difficult than the SL essays, at least for me). i'm doing Czech A self taught and to be honest, i dont really do anything but from now on i'm planning to get a teacher to help me, i know peple who've done self taught (Slovak) and got a 7

ReputationRep:
    history HL is the hardest subject i'm taken - but again it's really subjective -if you're v good at writing essays and analysing texts, then u should do fine

and for university entry - it depends on what you wanna study... some courses require HL maths...otherwise the total of your points matters (so a 7 from MM would work better than a 5 from M HL)

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would change History to SL and Physics to HL. You say that you want to work with Information Technology when you get older, so it would probably look a lot better to have Math and a Science at HL. Also, I think it would almost be dumb not to take Design Tech. with your future educational prospects (but then again I dont take the course so I dont know too much about it). I think it would look a lot better for university admissions than German SL.

Also, don't let Math HL intimidate you (too much!). I will say that it is a lot of work, but the content is not all that bad.

Another valuable piece of advice: Ask older students about the teachers for various courses. They definately make a difference and doing this has forced me to change my schedule (which is a good thing!)

ReputationRep:
    Well I did a year advanced maths before starting IB and I found HL maths SOOO HARD after a term so I moved to standard level. Does your school offer ITGS (Information Technology in a global society)? Because that is to do with computers and is a very interesting subject to do HL in.

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    I'm doing HL Maths at the moment and it is by far the hardest subject. I'm taking my exams in November and generally, the first year (last year) was alright, hard but manageable, so i got sucked into taking the 'challenge' but this year it's been HELL, even though there's only 4 people in the higher level class. I say only do maths HL if you are really good at maths and want to prove yourself. As for self-taught subjects, I think that's taking a major risk but Slovak...i wouldn't know. I'm doing history HL -europe at the moment and it is by far the most enjoyable subject. You have to learn A LOT and also write A LOT for the exams but I think learning it is much easier than maths. Also, I heard physics is like REALLY hard but I guess it'll be different for guys....

just to add:
    I don't think you can do HL ITGS- i dont think it's offered in IB.

ReputationRep:
    Only do HL Maths if you're extremely good at maths. HL Maths exams are getting more and more difficult. (like this year M05)

I think if you like history, HL doesn't matter. You'll have to memorise lots, but your passion about history will help you to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB The Great)
    Only do HL Maths if you're extremely good at maths. HL Maths exams are getting more and more difficult. (like this year M05)
    are you serious?!!!! it's getting more difficult?? NOOOOO....(i'm taking the N05) it's already got the biggest gap in terms of difficulty between higher and standard, and now it's getting harder? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by water_lili)
    are you serious?!!!! it's getting more difficult?? NOOOOO....(i'm taking the N05) it's already got the biggest gap in terms of difficulty between higher and standard, and now it's getting harder? :eek:
    Yes, it's getting more difficult. If you look at past exam papers, from 2002-2004, the difficult level goes up by a bit each examination session. And as you already know, many HL maths students complain about how difficult the maths exam is for them this year...

But best of luck. You'll do well!

ReputationRep:
    Reconsider taking Slovak A1 - the examiner is little problematic - today I got all results but slovak A1. And for self-taught he did not send materials for orals which means writing papers without doing internal assessment (orals) (I heard that - cannot say whether it is really correct).
    And yes, GJH.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.