Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I found it ok, i normally find them taxing but this one wasn't too bad! What did everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or was it in general frightfully easy?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I agree, I found it shockingly easy. The only questions which foxed me were 5 b) part iii), and the one about copper - I knew how to do the question, but had to guess wildly at values for the density and resistivity of copper!!!

ReputationRep:
    I found that surprisingly easy, really. What distances did everyone get for the wire? I got 1000m... 0.3 degrees for the angle? And 1.5 times 10 to the minus something for the bond energy?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by drw25)
    I found that surprisingly easy, really. What distances did everyone get for the wire? I got 1000m... 0.3 degrees for the angle? And 1.5 times 10 to the minus something for the bond energy?
    I got that the wire was 1m, and the angle 3.0 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    oh I got 0.1m for the length, lol. Probably something to do with my estimated density and resistivity (horribly inaccurate).

But the exam in general is about 10000 times easier than the past paper (2002) and the Specimen (think its 2003).

ReputationRep:
    I found it really easy in comparison to the past papers too. Got 0.30 degrees for the angle, got 100m for the length of the copper wire but estimated the resistivity to be 10 to the minus nine and the density at 7g/cm cubed...
    It's gonna be interesting to see how they scale this one!!
    95% for a distinction and 90% for a merit?????

ReputationRep:
    Last question was a ***** tho. spent an hour on it lol. wasnt expecting to write so much.

ReputationRep:
    Ye, much, much, much easier than past years - really annoying, I think, because that means the grade boundaries will be very high and what'll decide between getting a merit or a distinction is whether you remembered the resistivity of copper :p:

Some of my answers (I have a feeling rather a lot of them are wrong - how do they compare to what you got?):

Question 2
    • It's straight originally because the beam is smaller than the detector
    • The angle is 0.305 ± 5.25 %
    • The angle calculated with the graph is 0.30
    Question 3
    • The relationship was T/r = 2π/√(H * mass of earth)
    Question 4
    • 8 more weeks for the layer to grow to the specified thickness
    • D = 3.21 * 10^-9 m s^(-1/2)
    Question 5
    • Frequency was 1/2π * √(2k / m)
    • Resultant force was kx²/L
    Question 6
    • Bond strenght was 4.5 * 10^(-20) J
    • Length was about 10m
    EDIT: Humm, just noticed my resultant force for 5 b) is completely wrong. And I'd put the right answer in at first, and then scribbled it out completely and put this instead :mad: :argh: - oh well, never mind, doesn't rly affect nything :p:

ReputationRep:
    Question 1.. the trickiest I thinkcould do all but the last 3 and 2 mark question... was a little puzzled about the order of 4 magnitude

question 2 I agree... except the percentage uncertainty.... angle 0.3

question 3..got completely different... m = 2 n= -2 A = I can't remember :-)

question 4 : yeah 8 weeks... D: can't remember

Question 5: yeah I think frequency was something like that.. thank you M3 in A-Level maths :-)
    Resultant force was different for me though.. something with something/(1+0.5x/L) or something can't remember

Question 6 was for me also in the order of 10m and I can't remeber for bond strength

I loved the essay... Took out all my coloured fineliners and wrote 6 sides as I had 1.5 hours left ....

ReputationRep:
    My answer for the length of the copper wire was 100m. I've now ckecked this after the exam, do you guys agree or disagree with the following:
    Resistivity of copper :1.5 *10^-8 ohm metres (just looked this up)
    Density of copper: 8920kg/m^3 (looked this up too)

mass of copper = 0.2 kg
    therefore volume of copper is 0.2/8920 = 2.24215 *10^-5 m cubed

R = 5 ohms
    resistivity = 1.5 *10^-8
    R = (resistivity * length)/cross-sectional area

therefore 5/1.5*10-8 = l/a
    and 3.33 *10^8 = l/a
    so (3.33*10^8) * a = l

but l*a = 2.24215 *10^5
    therefore (3.33 *10^8)*a*a = 2.24215*10^5
    so a^2 = 2.24215*10^8/3.33*10^8 = 6.73 * 10^-14
    so a = 2.59 *10 ^7

from earlier equation (3.33 *10^8) * a = l
    (3.33*10^8) * 2.59 *10^7 = 86.4 metres

Anything wrong with this?

ReputationRep:
    Your calculation looks fine, Jeremy, and I imagine that's what they were looking for. I'd no idea what the resistivity of copper was, but I did know the density so I decided to just work out the volume, pick a sensible thickness for the wire and get a length from that. Then, as a token effort I worked out the resistivity from my length figure to "check". Not knowing the sort of values I was looking for, I assume my something times ten to the minus 3 was ok.

ReputationRep:
    My original answer with my (slightly dodgy) estimations for resistivity and density was 324m, I gave them an answer of 100metres for the length of the wire. One thing concerns me though - if this paper was so easy then everyone will get a good mark. This means that it will no longer differentiate well... and my physics teacher will be sooooo disappointed if I don't get the distinction he insists on :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I agree - it also means that our marks on the writing question matter more! I don't know about you, but I couldn't really think of that much to write and decided to leave it at just over 1 and a half pages.

That said, a lot of people at my school decided to leave after 2 hours or so and lots were staring blankly into space before that. I know I felt it was worth sticking to the end but maybe quite a few people are of the opinion that it doesn't really matter, so why try? I have to say, I almost enjoyed it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyG)
    My original answer with my (slightly dodgy) estimations for resistivity and density was 324m, I gave them an answer of 100metres for the length of the wire. One thing concerns me though - if this paper was so easy then everyone will get a good mark. This means that it will no longer differentiate well... and my physics teacher will be sooooo disappointed if I don't get the distinction he insists on :confused:
    don't worry I'm sure you'll get it

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think I've never felt so depressed about an exam before!! I mean, I've been doing past papers, and I've always been getting about 70%, which is a distinction, but now in this paper (which was so easy), I think I've just lost too many marks to even get a merit (copper question, writting question, that horrible SHM question - which I think I originally got right and then "corrected", the bit about the "factor of 4" in the first question, etc...)!!

I really hoped we'd get some tough magnetic fields questions (which have come up every year so far), but there was nuffing really there! A real dissapointment, since I've worked for this more than anything else this summer - I think the CEA did us a real disservice making this so easy...

Anyhow, sorry for the rant - nyone feel the same ??

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    You've hit the nail right on the head Danguetta, after two years of hard graft you expect a 'fair test' at the end. I suspect that the distinctions will be given out to those more 'thorough' than 'brilliant'. We shall see......

ReputationRep:
    agreed! But habven't you found that easier tendency was a trend in all physics exams this year.. I did edexcel and it certainly was easy...

Chemistry AEA on the other hand was the exact opposite... much much harder than past papers.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmzcherry)
    I found it ok, i normally find them taxing but this one wasn't too bad! What did everyone else think?
    I found it alright apart from that nasty SHM question!

Should hopefully have a merit, though doubt it'll be a distinction. Am I right in thinking grade boundaries are >50 for a merit and >70(75?) for a distinction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rieuwa)
    agreed! But habven't you found that easier tendency was a trend in all physics exams this year.. I did edexcel and it certainly was easy...

Chemistry AEA on the other hand was the exact opposite... much much harder than past papers.....
    i agree. Chemistry AEA was quite a lot harder than past papers.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.