Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm getting a bit worried now, can someone explain how they got the angle?

Was it not θ = (5cm / x ) ? (where x is measured in cm, of course)

ReputationRep:
    The detector had diameter 10mm or 1 cm, so radius of 0.5cm. The distance at which the beam exactly covered the whole detector was about 90cm. So tan θ was 0.5/90 and θ is 0.3 degrees. Unless I'm wrong?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No, you must be right...

Bother, I misread the diameter width as 10cm... Don't know what I was thinking

I expect I was subconsciously expecting all the measurements to be in the same units, as that's what we're always told to do in class.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: i'm thinking about taking a physics aea but a) don't know if my school will let me and b) it seems so complicated reading through what you've all written. However i do enjoy physics a lot. any advice would be much appreciated. thanks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by suneilr)
    :eek: i'm thinking about taking a physics aea but a) don't know if my school will let me and b) it seems so complicated reading through what you've all written. However i do enjoy physics a lot. any advice would be much appreciated. thanks
    Go for it

You won't be asked on anything you haven't studied.

Have a browse through the CCEA website, there's lots of information on there

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.