Turn on thread page Beta

Urgent! Got an unconditionnal offer from imperial and stuck... watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hi!

    I got an unconditional offer from Imperial and must decide before tomorrow.

    Here's my situation:
    I applied to Harvard, Yale & Princeton in the US and was rejected by them all.
    I also applied to Imperial college and got accepted at the F390 course (theoretical physics).

    What is absolutely sure is that I want to take 1 (and only 1) year off to finish an important computer project (I am the coordinator). I have calculated and it would be unmanageable to combine the F390 course and that project.

    When I applied to Imperial I didn't choose the deferred option (stupid me) because I thought I would have the time to finish the project before the start of the course. Not so.

    So, should I accept the offer and then negotiate with them for a deferred entry next year? Or should I decline the offer and reapply next year?

    As you have probably understood too, my first choice was a US college. Unfortunately I got rejected by them all.
    What would happen if I accepted the Imperial offer (and negotiated a deferred entry in 2006) and then got accepted to a US college next year and said yes to that offer? Would there be any top up fees? Or would the royal British army come and capture me back to Imperial (kiddin)?

    Or even worse, if I accepted the Imperial offer and then got accepted to another UK univ (ex: LSE) and accepted that? Would they notice that I had used the UCAS system? Or worse, does the UCAS system allow you to reapply even if you accepted an offer the year before?

    Lot's of unanswered questions that I would like to have answered.

    Hope you understand my situation a little better now...

    I haven't managed to reach Imperial (emailed them 2 days ago) => that's why I'm asking you guys all those important things. I will call them tomorrow.

    Thanks pals and don't put yourself in my situation.
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    Yes, you should accept the offer. It would be a waste if you didn't, as it's an unconditional offer. You should contact the university if you want a deferred entry. If you are deferring to 2006 entry, you will still pay the flat rate tuition fees.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    If you really want to go to Imperial, contact them and ask them to defer your place. If you reapply to any American universities next year and get accepted, I think you could just tell Imperial you don't want to go there anymore, but I'm not sure. If you hold an unconditional offer for deferred entry, you can't apply again next year as fas as I know.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    he can't get in contact with imperial...

    bit late ringing them now aswell. You should accept the offer and then try to defer if you are happy to go to imperial.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Accept the offer and then try and defer it. If you hold a deferred offer you cannot apply to any other UK universities for 2006 entry, as it wouldn't be fair on all the other applicants. And yes, of course they will notice. However, there is nothing whatsoever to stop you applying to US universities in your year off.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you have to decide whether you want to go to Imperial or hold out and reapply for somewhere else. If you want to go somewhere else, decline the offer. If you decide you'd like to go to Imperial, phone them up tomorrow before accepting an offer and ask if you can defer for a year, explaining that you want to do it to finish your project.

    EDIT: It just crossed my mind that you could explain to them about your project, and ask them to release you from the offer and ask if they would consider a reapplication from you next year, that way you could apply to UK unis next year, and American ones with a pretty clear conscience. You would have to pay top up fees this way though. (if you defer at Imperial you may still have to, but I'm not sure about that, just something I was told when I asked something at Durham)
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Explain your computer project situation to Imperial and ask for a deferred entry 2006, and this way you would not have to pay top up fees.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Yeh call them and defer it !
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    thank you guys for your replies... will phone them up tomorrow morning before accepting the offer and sort everything out.

    trev, you said: "If you are deferring to 2006 entry, you will still pay the flat rate tuition fees."
    Does that mean that if they accept my request of deferring to 2006 entry, I will still have to pay the full tuition fees for 2005-2006?

    Suppose I accepted the offer and then it turned out that I had to pay top up fees in order to defer my entry to 2006. If I then decided (cause of the top up fees) to decline the offer, would I still have to pay some other fees?

    BTW, how much money are we talking about for the those fees? (in the 2000-3000£ range?)
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dens)
    thank you guys for your replies... will phone them up tomorrow morning before accepting the offer and sort everything out.

    trev, you said: "If you are deferring to 2006 entry, you will still pay the flat rate tuition fees."
    Does that mean that if they accept my request of deferring to 2006 entry, I will still have to pay the full tuition fees for 2005-2006?

    Suppose I accepted the offer and then it turned out that I had to pay top up fees in order to defer my entry to 2006. If I then decided (cause of the top up fees) to decline the offer, would I still have to pay some other fees?

    BTW, how much money are we talking about for the those fees? (in the 2000-3000£ range?)
    £1120 i think it is, if you defer this year you wont have to pay the top up fees next year. If you are an international student, i'm not sure where you stand with the fees.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    £1120 i think it is, if you defer this year you wont have to pay the top up fees next year. If you are an international student, i'm not sure where you stand with the fees.
    I'm an EU student, so the fees for me should be the same as those for someone in Britain.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hi!

    Quite confused here... The deadline for accepting/declining UCAS offers: 1st July or 31st August?
    I have always thought it was July 1st although I got quite confused lately.

    The August 31st date is the deadline for deferring if I remember right.

    thanx
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    According to the UCAS site, you might be in these situations:

    1. If Last decision from the college or university on 9 May 2005, the reply date is 6 June 2005 (1 July if outside the UK)

    2. If the last decision from the college or university on 17 June 2005, the reply date is 7 July 2005 (15 July if outside the UK)

    3. If the last decision from the college or university on 20 July 2005, the reply date is 5 August 2005 (22 August if outside the UK)

    You might be interested in other deadlines after accepting offers http://www.ucas.ac.uk/getting/deadlines/
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dens)
    thank you guys for your replies... will phone them up tomorrow morning before accepting the offer and sort everything out.

    trev, you said: "If you are deferring to 2006 entry, you will still pay the flat rate tuition fees."
    Does that mean that if they accept my request of deferring to 2006 entry, I will still have to pay the full tuition fees for 2005-2006?

    Suppose I accepted the offer and then it turned out that I had to pay top up fees in order to defer my entry to 2006. If I then decided (cause of the top up fees) to decline the offer, would I still have to pay some other fees?

    BTW, how much money are we talking about for the those fees? (in the 2000-3000£ range?)
    What I mean is that if you applied this year and defer it to 2006 entry, you will be paying the flat rate of £1000 something (i.e. no top up fees).

    The top up fees can be from £2000-3000 a year. Depends which university is going. Most universities probably charge the maximum. I know some universities don't have the top up fees stuff like Leeds Met.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Just to sum it all up.

    If you're having trouble getting in touch with Imperial but have to make your decisions by July 7th then ACCEPT the Imp offer. Try contacting them using these contact details: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/physics/co...ssions/faq.asp (the admissions tutor's personal contact details are here: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research/hep/people/jones.htm ). Explain about the computer project and that you want to defer.

    To be eligible to pay 2005 level fees you MUST have confirmation of your decision to defer in writing from either Imperial or UCAS dated prior to 1st August 2005. If you don't have this in writing dated prior to 1st August 2005 then you will have to pay top up fees (up to £3000pa).

    If you defer entry to Imperial and reapply to US uni's and get accepted then there is nothing to stop you taking up an offer from them if they accept you for 2006 entry - the contract you enter into through UCAS ishowever binding with regard to UK universities. You can't hold a deferred offer for Imp and reapply through UCAS for LSE...and it's in breach of uni-UCAS contracts for them to accept full time undergraduates outside of UCAS.

    thx for the well-explained answer

    Isn't the deadline to accept/decline the offer July 1st?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There is no official deadline for deferring - it's even possible to turn up at uni, stay a week and decide that it's too soon/circumstances have changed and defer for a year.

    HOWEVER to defer between 2005 and 2006 but still only pay 2005 level tuition fees you need to have confirmation of your uni's agreement to your deferral in writing from either your uni or from UCAS dated BEFORE 1st August 2005.

    If you don't have a letter with this information on it dated prior to 1st August 2005 then you will be liable to pay whatever level of top up fees your university has decided to charge up to £3000pa.

    I haven't accepted the offer yet (Imperial - unconditionnal)... so you're saing that I should accept and then talk with them about deferring?
    Are there any extra fees for doing this? (deferring)
    Must I pay something this year?
    If I defer and then decide to go to a US univ, will there be any penalty fees?

    thx
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dens)
    thx for the well-explained answer

    Isn't the deadline to accept/decline the offer July 1st?
    Refer to this website (scroll down until you see the title 'when to reply to a decision'): http://www.ucas.ac.uk/getting/deadlines/

    On the UCAS letter, it should say the date when to reply in red.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you can't get through to them between now and the deadline for accepting/declining the offer then yes - accept first and then contact them about deferring ASAP.

    There are no extra fees for deferring and you don't need to pay anything this year. However if you fail to get your deferral approved by Imperial and/or UCAS in writing by the 1st August then you will have to pay top up fees for the duration of your course (£3000pa) - if you get confirmation in writing dated prior to 1st August 2005 then you will pay fees for the entire duration of your course at current levels (just over £1000pa).

    If you defer and then get into a US uni the only penalty fees you *might* incur is if you pay a deposit of some sort on accomodation to Imperial...but this is unlikely as you should know if you've got a place in a US uni long before Imperial will ask for an accomodation deposit.

    That answer was what I had hoped for!!
    I will accept the offer... just hope the additional paperwork won't be too heavy.
 
 
 
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2005

2,727

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.