Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 16 and just about to enter the sixth form in September.
    My ultimate career aim is to be a Pharmacologist and work for an industrial firm as opposed to an academic institute.

I am currently having problems with my A level choices.
    For AS and A2 I wish to study:

German
    Chemistry
    Biology

I wanted to do five subjects for AS, but can only do four because of a clash.
    I wish to continue with these four to A2 standard.

I can choose between either French or Computer Sciences for my fourth subject, and I do not know wish. Different school departments have suggested different things. Biology and Chemistry have suggested Computer Sciences. I still am not sure, and I don't want to do the wrong thing.
    Can anybody suggest what I should choose? I know already that most Uni's including UCL and King's (which is where I am hoping to go) ask for 2 sciences at A2 standard, although Cambridge wants 3. Also, does computer sciences count for a third science subject, as I am not doing maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephtebbs)
    Hi,
    I am currently having problems with my A level choices.
    For AS and A2 I wish to study:

German
    Chemistry
    Biology

I wanted to do five subjects for AS, but can only do four because of a clash.
    I wish to continue with these four to A2 standard.

I can choose between either French or Computer Sciences for my fourth subject, and I do not know wish.
    I reckon you should do Computer Science, doing two languages is supposed to be really tough and is not recommended unless you are really talented in them or you are gonna need both. Do you HAVE to pick between those two, cos maths would be the best bet if you would be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry will probably be the biggie for pharmacology, with biology a close 2nd.

Out of your two potential choices, which do you prefer/think you'll get a higher mark in? Do that one!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.
    I am stil torn apart though.
    It's really bugging me, and I hope I don't worry about it all summer.

By the way, would Computer Sciences count as a science for Oxbridge?

Although two languages are hard, the German and French depts. say that I can do it, and that it would look very academic. (Not bragging but I am expecting A*'s and GCSE MFL's and I am predicted A's at AS and A2 MFL's)

I think I might do the Computer Sciences as a mainstream course (for full A2) and do the French AS outside of school (much like I currently do with Italian GCSE. I think I have something about languages! Although, I am very logical and scientific as well, and I love chemistry)

Please help me! I need more advice!

ReputationRep:
    No, computer science will not count. If you're thinking of NatSci at Cambridge, have you considered maths (or physics)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephtebbs)
    Thanks for the advice.
    I am stil torn apart though.
    It's really bugging me, and I hope I don't worry about it all summer.

By the way, would Computer Sciences count as a science for Oxbridge?

Although two languages are hard, the German and French depts. say that I can do it, and that it would look very academic. (Not bragging but I am expecting A*'s and GCSE MFL's and I am predicted A's at AS and A2 MFL's)

I think I might do the Computer Sciences as a mainstream course (for full A2) and do the French AS outside of school (much like I currently do with Italian GCSE. I think I have something about languages! Although, I am very logical and scientific as well, and I love chemistry)

Please help me! I need more advice!
    you are quite clearly a *******.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.