The Student Room Group

advice

I'm thinking about returning to higher education. I left it 13 years ago at 16 with 1c, 3d's, 3e's and 2 f(maths).
As far as i can see i have 2 options:
1- do couple of gcse's so i have some more c's
2- go for a levels
3- get onto a access to higher education course next september and complete that allowing me to piggy back onto a hnd or bsc.
One other thing i have no idea what i want to do but do know having more qualifications will be a bonus.
Looking through the gcse's available the ones that sound intresting are accounting,bussiness studies, economics, history and law quite strange considering i got a f in maths and found it hard maybe 13 years down the line i have a different outlook , or maybe it's because these subjects are relevant to everyday life?
Ian

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wot do u want to do/become after studyin??
Reply 2
Hi,
No idea! Ive been a postie for 13 years and dont want be here forever but the only way to get a better job is to get better education.
Although looking at the info i have maybe doing a access course into teaching or social work looks good , as does the bussiness side of things.
Reply 3
If your going to go back, I would say got for the A Levels, economics, law and accounting can be started at AS level without the GCSE and also since they are worth more than any GCSE and will give you a much better grounding...
Reply 4
You probably need Cs in maths/english, but don't spend too long trying to chase GCSEs, go for Alevels as soon as possible.
Reply 5
egorr110
Hi,
No idea! Ive been a postie for 13 years and dont want be here forever but the only way to get a better job is to get better education.
Although looking at the info i have maybe doing a access course into teaching or social work looks good , as does the bussiness side of things.

i think you should do an english and maths GCSE
n'ways.......good luck! :wink:
Reply 6
fishpaste
You probably need Cs in maths/english, but don't spend too long trying to chase GCSEs, go for Alevels as soon as possible.

I agree, the only GCSE's you should concern yourself with is English, Maths and maybe Science.

If I was you I would probably look at an access course rather than going through GCSE's and A-levels.
Reply 7
NikNak
I agree, the only GCSE's you should concern yourself with is English, Maths and maybe Science.

If I was you I would probably look at an access course rather than going through GCSE's and A-levels.

wots an access course??
Reply 8
Thanks for the reply's.
Half of me thinks get the gcse english and maths (will cost £565)
the other half thinks save £565 get onto a access course which gives me the equivalent of a levels and a back door onto hnd/c or bsc or ba. although i'm proberly going to at maths at this level.
Reply 9
SAFI -
A access course is for mature students who want to return to higher education. You study core subjects english,maths,i.t as well as your chosen path ie. bussiness,teaching, science,humanities,social work,nursing, computing then on completion your at a level where you can go on to study at ba/bsc for teaching, hnd or degree in nursing or social work.
Reply 10
NIK NAC
I already have a c double science
d science
Reply 11
any more words of advice?
Reply 12
Just take a few units and see what you like, and what you're good at. Your career will choose you.
Reply 13
Get GCSE's in English and Maths, they're vital for anything you want to do later on in life, especially if you ever want to go to uni, or higher level education equivelant to degree level education
Reply 14
I don't have GCSE english and Maths but they said at uni because I was doing so well at college I and I went to a very bad High School they would let me off it. The maths I do at uni is more more advanced than anything I did in GCSE and I don't have problems with it.

I had a lot of personal reasons why I didn't get the grades in English and Maths. So to be honest its not always that important. With my A level grades were what got me into uni.

I don't need bits of paper to proove what I can do as I have a protfolio. However I am learning how to all this stuff on my degree so whats the main thing. I do want to get a 2:1 though when I leave.
Reply 15
Go in and ask at your local education college.
Reply 16
You sound like a fellow who could do with a good hard slap!
Why did you not fulfil your educational potential the first time around. If you go back to education as low as GCSE then the chances are your motivation will not have changed, you are after all the same person.
My advice would be to apply to become a road sweep and try and get promotions in that to get a managment role in refuse collecting. Its the only way forward....

...trust me Im a doctor!!!
Reply 17
We all deserve a second chance. What about me? I didn't do that well in my GCSE's but did very well in my AVCE and A levels and doing well in my degree. A lot of people don't do well at school simply because of their social background.

If he goes to uni and finds he can't hack it or finds he is not motivated that is when to give up.

I hate lazy and unmotivated people as much as anybody put we all deserve a chance to put that right.
Reply 18
Mad caddie - is your statement directed to me , or amazing trade ?
Sire- what units are you talking about?
Reply 19
egorr110
Mad caddie - is your statement directed to me , or amazing trade ?
Sire- what units are you talking about?

It is directed at you and only you....

Latest

Trending

Trending