Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think most economists would speak a bit more highly of legal immigration...

i therefore suggest that you arent one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    And in other countries there hasn't been years of immigration?
    Who said in other countries the numbers arent high?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    The whole thing is the same in every country and the idea that you can have a developed country with no illegal immigration is absurd. The US spending plenty of money on stopping it is a prime example.
    Where do you get these random and wrong facts? The US government is barely spending anything on preventing illegal immigration, which is why it's getting attacked from the right and left side of the political spectrum to do something. Of course the US is not an island, so we have a much more difficult time preventing illegal immigration than you. Almost all the legal immigrants in the US cross here from Mexico. Very few come here by ship or plane (the only way someone can make it to Britain, unless their name is Jesus Christ).

The US has 10.3 million illegals by the way.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually quite amusing to hear you talk about something you have no knowledge of i.e economics and think that you are right. Any economist would tell you that illegal immigration and cheap labour would contribute massively to economic growth, they would make the labour market more competitive and consequently the firms would be more competitive worldwide. Just look at the US as an example.

Nations have been built on immigration, thats who Brtain came to be and more recently thats how the US and Australia came to be.

And whats with the 'you said it nan an an naanana na' Seriously grow up..
    Illegal immigration is nevertheless illegal.

Yes, legal immigrants contribute to the economy by providing cheap labour and bringing skills into the country. Illegal ones do not pay taxes and are obvioulsy not beneficial to the country (otherwise they would have been allowed to immigrate).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    soft touch britain...why else would they come from all over the world, and through many other countries to an island nation in the north atlantic.
    Honestly, I think people just believe it's a nice place to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Where do you get these random and wrong facts? The US government is barely spending anything on preventing illegal immigration, which is why it's getting attacked from the right and left side of the political spectrum to do something. Of course the US is not an island, so we have a much more difficult time preventing illegal immigration than you. Almost all the legal immigrants in the US cross here from Mexico. Very few come here by ship or plane (the only way someone can make it to Britain, unless their name is Jesus Christ).

The US has 10.3 million illegals by the way.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/...lay.cfm?ID=223

I didnt know that a triple increase for border enforcement was a wrong fact. I suggest you learn more about your country.

ReputationRep:
    Btw how do you donate money here, this server is a pain....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Honestly, I think people just believe it's a nice place to live.
    it is.

still, they should be shown the exit.

ReputationRep:
    Illegal immigration is nevertheless illegal.

Yes, legal immigrants contribute to the economy by providing cheap labour and bringing skills into the country. Illegal ones do not pay taxes and are obvioulsy not beneficial to the country (otherwise they would have been allowed to immigrate).
    exactly so, the obvious solution is to allow everyone to be legal imigrants, they can then get a job, be happy, spend money, pay taxes, imporove the economy.

we've tried controlling imigration and we can't so just let everyone in. Seems logical to me.

ReputationRep:
    Who said in other countries the numbers arent high?
    Do you hear of high numbers of illegal immigrants in Australia?

ReputationRep:
    TheVlad: dont be very ignorant or stupid; very few (if any) countries have benefited from Colonisation. Study history and current affairs and then u will see what was looted from these nations.
    Good night all.

Mandeep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    exactly so, the obvious solution is to allow everyone to be legal imigrants, they can then get a job, be happy, spend money, pay taxes, imporove the economy.

we've tried controlling imigration and we can't so just let everyone in. Seems logical to me.
    Are you suggesting letting the entire population of India to settle in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.migrationinformation.org/...lay.cfm?ID=223

I didnt know that a triple increase for border enforcement was a wrong fact. I suggest you learn more about your country.
    Tripling (almost) nothing doesn't mean that enough is being spent on border security. Or perhaps you'll be happy if you get triple of your current salary for the rest of your life (even if it's currently zero)?

By 2001 there were only 124 immigration agents assigned to full-time enforcement of immigration laws in the workplace, throughout the country, compared with 9,500 agents stationed on the border. During the last three years, an average of only 1,900 employer investigations were completed annually; only 12 unauthorized immigrants per week were detained at their place of work. This token level of worksite enforcement is the fundamental reason why much tougher border controls in the last 10 years have had such a weak deterrent effect.
    It's pretty clearly that not enough is spend on keeping out illegal immigrants when there are only 124 case workers keeping track of over 10 million illegals.

ReputationRep:
    It's very insulting and as the person prior to this said, ignorant to suggest colonisation was beneficial to the occupied countries....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khalsa1846)
    TheVlad: dont be very ignorant or stupid; very few (if any) countries have benefited from Colonisation. Study history and current affairs and then u will see what was looted from these nations.
    I have. Have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    it is.

still, they should be shown the exit.

How d'you mean? I'm an immigrant, do you think I should be shown the door?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khalsa1846)
    Good night all.

Mandeep
    Try looking at the average incomes of people in colonized countries before they were colonized, while they were colonized, and after the colonization ended. Most of Africa still hasn't recovered to the level of income it had before decolonization.

ReputationRep:
    Are you suggesting letting the entire population of India to settle in the UK?
    if they want to.

but i don't think they do somehow.

why should we limit immigration? I can see no reason. Sure if there is unemployment stop immigration, but at the moment, we need more people. Obviously still go through the immigration process, but as britian was founded on immigration i don't see why we should limit it now.

ReputationRep:
    It's very insulting and as the person prior to this said, ignorant to suggest colonisation was beneficial to the occupied countries....
    Is bringing modern technology and medicine a bad thing then? Do you think it was wrong for the British to stop the Indian tradition of burning wives alive with the bodies of their deceased husbands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    if they want to.

but i don't think they do somehow.
    You don't know much about what life in those countries is like. Do you really think that people living in poverty in India and the third world will just look at the welfare system in the UK and say "naah I prefer to starve"?
    why should we limit immigration? I can see no reason. Sure if there is unemployment stop immigration, but at the moment, we need more people. Obviously still go through the immigration process, but as britian was founded on immigration i don't see why we should limit it now.
    Too many people want to come to Britain. Therefore we let in the numbers that we need, usually those with skills that are lacking (thats how my family got here) but not everyone.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.