Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    How d'you mean? I'm an immigrant, do you think I should be shown the door?
    are you here illegally?

ReputationRep:
    Ah.
    I see what you mean.
    I'm not an illegal immigrant.

EDIT: of course, that's just what I'd say if I was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdul)
    Nations have been built on immigration, thats who Brtain came to be
    (Original post by KidA)
    britian was founded on immigration
    I'd like you to expand upon your claims a little, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    i suspect it'll be something along the lines of "millennia ago when the first people arrived in the british isles..."

they might even manage to link it to this topic somehow...but i doubt it. their time might be better used learning to spell britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i suspect it'll be something along the lines of "millennia ago when the first people arrived in the british isles..."

they might even manage to link it to this topic somehow...but i doubt it. their time might be better used learning to spell britain.
    You have to admit the Angles and the Saxons didn't have the proper visas. :p:

ReputationRep:

It's Britain with capital B and at the same time when starting sentences it would be a good idea to start with capital letters.

If you want to be pedantic and childish about spelling then you'd better adviced to check your reply first. 'Are you dumb?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    We are not here to educate the masses, your school should have taught you something about history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Is bringing modern technology and medicine a bad thing then? Do you think it was wrong for the British to stop the Indian tradition of burning wives alive with the bodies of their deceased husbands?
    So you are basically saying that invading a country, pillaging natural resources, prosecuting those who oppossed the invasion, dictating the policies of a country, basically a dictatorship and in the process leaving a vacumm of social justice, political leadership and chaos would be welcome because modern technology was introduced...

Im sure Africa and other asian countries would agree with your assessment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdul)
    We are not here to educate the masses, your school should have taught you something about history.
    It looks to me like you're squeaming out of giving a proper response. I don't think you can actually explain what you mean, because you're just piping out arguments you've heard elsewhere.

With my knowledge of history, I can't think of any reason as to why Britain was founded upon immigration any more than, say, Italy. Please help me out here, Mr. Alexdel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    So you are basically saying that invading a country, pillaging natural resources, prosecuting those who oppossed the invasion, dictating the policies of a country, basically a dictatorship and in the process leaving a vacumm of social justice, political leadership and chaos would be welcome because modern technology was introduced...

Im sure Africa and other asian countries would agree with your assessment...
    Do you think that's a bad thing then? Only, you said a few posts ago that illegal immigration was a good thing because it lowered peoples wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    It looks to me like you're squeaming out of giving a proper response. I don't think you can actually explain what you mean, because you're just piping out arguments you've heard elsewhere.

With my knowledge of history, I can't think of any reason as to why Britain was founded upon immigration any more than, say, Italy. Please help me out here, Mr. Alexdel.
    Italy Mr.JonD has its foundation since the roman empire ....Im not sure if you know this but apparently they used to be around a long long time ago. Whereas Britain on the other hand has been a mixture of immigrants mainly from mainland europe starting after the roman invasion. Prior to that there were only minor tribes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon

Im more than happy to oblige..

Of course if you want to go really really back...everything started from Africa so everyone is an immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    It's Britain with capital B and at the same time when starting sentences it would be a good idea to start with capital letters.

If you want to be pedantic and childish about spelling then you'd better adviced to check your reply first. 'Are you dumb?'
    *advised.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Do you think that's a bad thing then? Only, you said a few posts ago that illegal immigration was a good thing because it lowered peoples wages.
    You know when people have run out of arguements when they try to compare two distinguishable things because in crude linguistic terms they appear to be the same.

ReputationRep:
    You know when people have run out of arguements when they try to compare two distinguishable things because in crude linguistic terms they appear to be the same.
    as opposed to you who hasnt even managed to make an argument.

ReputationRep:
    *advised.

thanks.
    Thanks....with capital T...

ReputationRep:
    as opposed to you who hasnt even managed to make an argument.
    Im sure if you say so then it must be true....

ReputationRep:
    Im sure if you say so then it must be true....
    correct.

ReputationRep:
    Italy Mr.JonD has its foundation since the roman empire ....Im not sure if you know this but apparently they used to be around a long long time ago. Whereas Britain on the other hand has been a mixture of immigrants mainly from mainland europe starting after the roman invasion. Prior to that there were only minor tribes.
    Ah.. I see..

Britain is an immigrant nation because the Anglo-Saxons moved in only 1,500 years ago.
    Italy is not an immigrant nation because the Romans moved in 3,000 years ago.

Thanks for the great englightenment. I feel like I could jump right into doing my PhD. now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Ah.. I see..

Britain is an immigrant nation because the Anglo-Saxons moved in only 1,500 years ago.
    Italy is not an immigrant nation because the Romans moved in 3,000 years ago.

Thanks for the great englightenment. I feel like I could jump right into doing my PhD. now.
    If you bothered to read it all you would have noticed that I mentioned that we all originate from Africa so in essence we are all immigrants. However a country like Italy has more solid foundations in terms of history then say Britain. It's not just anglo-saxons that have emigrated over here, the link was given to highlight the fact that they were in fact german tribes, but plenty of other tribes throughout europe, jews, lots of africans and now asians oh I also nearly forgot...the Irish...hehe

If I was you I would start with Key Stage 3 first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdull the Wise)
    No Sir A. In one of your earlier Economics lectures, you said:

(Original post by in a sagely voice)
    illegal immigration and cheap labour would contribute massively to economic growth, they would make the labour market more competitive and consequently the firms would be more competitive worldwide
    Clearly saying the economic gains are far more important than the standards of living of the workers, which drops with their wages during wage competition. Not to mention the illegal immigrants, whose sole purpose is to do "cheap" work, and never progress.

Yet later you said that colonialism was bad becauase it involves:

(Original post by angry, sagely voice (think Gandalf "You shall not pass!"-ing the Balrog in Moria)
    pillaging natural resources, prosecuting those who oppossed the invasion, dictating the policies of a country, basically a dictatorship and in the process leaving a vacumm of social justice, political leadership and chaos would be welcome because modern technology was introduced...
    Yet the economic gains of both parties were overall beneficial; despite the suffering caused by them. I sense a disturbance in the farce..

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.