Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anybody here ever tutor Alevel/GCSE students? if so, how is it? how did you get into it? how do your plan your sessions? what do you charge?

ReputationRep:
    I tutored some kids for GCSE English Literature this year. I just helped them with poetry, annotating, how to write essays. Set them essays to do for homework etc. I charged £20 an hour. I got into it by offering myself to teachers in my school, and they told their students, their students told their parents, their parents phoned me.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, thanks for your insight. How did you find clients? Agency? Friends? Ads?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, thanks for your insight. How did you find clients? Agency? Friends? Ads?
    I added that to my first post. I got into it by offering myself to teachers in my school, and they told their students, their students told their parents, their parents phoned me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yep. GCSE is usually around £20 an hour whereas its £25 min for A level

ReputationRep:
    I think 6th formers from my school can offer to help bottom sets for GCSE, english, maths etc etc in their free periods. Looks good on the old UCAS thingy

ReputationRep:
    I think 6th formers from my school can offer to help bottom sets for GCSE, english, maths etc etc in their free periods. Looks good on the old UCAS thingy
    Indeed, but the parents in question wanted home tutoring and felt somebody who had done the same course and got a good grade would be best. I wasn't arguing at £20 a hour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami C)
    Indeed, but the parents in question wanted home tutoring and felt somebody who had done the same course and got a good grade would be best. I wasn't arguing at £20 a hour!
    Good point, my strongest subject is probably English so i wouldnt mind doing SOME tutoring.

ReputationRep:
    I've tutored some AS level History students this year and some GCSE English lit students last year. I didn't ask for any payment, as it didn't take up loads of my time and they were grateful, so I had no problem with that. £20 an hour is amazing though, I didn't realise that was the going rate!

ReputationRep:
    I have done tutoring for English (as a foreign language) here in Argentina and would like to teach some Spanish while I'm in London.

ReputationRep:
    How did you all get tutoring jobs?

I wouldn't mind doing some GCSE mathematics, as i know a lot of people struggle in maths, and i'm currently doing it at A-level (awaiting AS results, GCSE = A)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    How did you all get tutoring jobs?

I wouldn't mind doing some GCSE mathematics, as i know a lot of people struggle in maths, and i'm currently doing it at A-level (awaiting AS results, GCSE = A)
    Through teachers. Parents were calling in the school asking teachers - and then they gave the jobs out to students. So, ask some at your school. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenyth!)
    Through teachers. Parents were calling in the school asking teachers - and then they gave the jobs out to students. So, ask some at your school. Good luck
    I probably would make a bad tutor...
    it's not i don't know or i don't understand but i just can't explain...
    i would make a bad teacher wouldn't i?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh ive done some tutuoring, i put out flyers with my name and phone number on ..i started at FIVE POUNDS AN HOUR!..and no1 turned up for the first two weeks, then i got a phonecall and planned a maths gcse lesson thingy for this guy that needed help, only when he actually came round i didn't know how to do some questions as i had a different exam board! it was soooooooooooooo embarrassing so i said he didn't need to pay me for the first lesson, (it was half price anyway i.e two pounds fifty which just takes the piss) ..then i gave him two science lessons, and never heard from him again

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. when I first saw the title I thought it said 'ever done any torturing?' :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfusion)
    I probably would make a bad tutor...
    it's not i don't know or i don't understand but i just can't explain...
    i would make a bad teacher wouldn't i?
    awww

all you need is a bit of patience - i'm sure you'd make a great tutor/teacher if you were nice, understanding and kept your tutee (hehe) motivated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PennyRoyalTea)
    Yeh ive done some tutuoring, i put out flyers with my name and phone number on ..i started at FIVE POUNDS AN HOUR!..and no1 turned up for the first two weeks, then i got a phonecall and planned a maths gcse lesson thingy for this guy that needed help, only when he actually came round i didn't know how to do some questions as i had a different exam board! it was soooooooooooooo embarrassing so i said he didn't need to pay me for the first lesson, (it was half price anyway i.e two pounds fifty which just takes the piss) ..then i gave him two science lessons, and never heard from him again
    Where did you put the flyers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenyth!)
    awww

all you need is a bit of patience - i'm sure you'd make a great tutor/teacher if you were nice, understanding and kept your tutee (hehe) motivated.
    i am nice..........supposedly........ maybe.................
    but i can't teach maths cos i say i just see it.......... not a lot of help for the tutee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfusion)
    i am nice..........supposedly........ maybe.................
    but i can't teach maths cos i say i just see it.......... not a lot of help for the tutee

another subject? english, french, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Where did you put the flyers?
    just along my street and a few streets next to my street, so i could be sure i was posting them somewhere it would be safe and no weird paedophiles would be calling me up

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.