Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what does it mean? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starbuck*)
    Anti Establishment?

ReputationRep:
    Being against the disestablishment, (of the church?)

ReputationRep:
    Properly, opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England, but popularly cited as an example of a long word

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I kinda figured it was to do with being against the disestablishment of something, but I didnt know what.

ReputationRep:
    It is not actually a word, you will not find it in the Oxford or Collins Concise Dictonaries. This is because it is a bit of a contradiction, it means: against against the establishment (yes i have typed that right, there are meant to be two againsts there - which confirms my argument that it is a contradiction!)

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    It is not actually a word, you will not find it in the Oxford or Collins Concise Dictonaries. This is because it is a bit of a contradiction, it means: against against the establishment (yes i have typed that right, there are meant to be two againsts there - which confirms my argument that it is a contradiction!)

xxxx
    actually in older english dictionaries it does exist as well as at www.dictionary.com. Its not really a contradiction (two negs tend to make a plus) as it actually means not just pro establisment but against those that dislike the church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)

xxxx
    Technically it means that, but the 'dis-' of 'disestablishment applies to that word only, not to the whole phrase, as 'anti-' does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Technically it means that, but the 'dis-' of 'disestablishment applies to that word only, not to the whole phrase, as 'anti-' does.
    Yes, this is correct. I had always assumed that
    "antidisestablishmentarianis m" was a word.

ReputationRep:
    like LH's footer although itd be nicer if it was aimed at the Tory party as opposed to specifically Boris.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there's pseudoantidisestablishmentariani sm - is that those who are faking being against the disestablishment of the church? lol

ReputationRep:
    Antidisestablishmentarianism (can't spell it!) is a word that describes people who are opposed to the disestablishment of the church. Must be an old word then.

ReputationRep:
    Well done this thread, the adress to this page is actually a google whack, being the only one up if you type in antidisestablishmentarianism establisment, just thought you'd like to no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddyb5)
    Well done this thread, the adress to this page is actually a google whack, being the only one up if you type in antidisestablishmentarianism establisment, just thought you'd like to no
    thank you, so much for resurrecting our old posts

ReputationRep:
    pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo lcanoconiosis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo lcanoconiosis
    It is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust' but occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word."

ReputationRep:
    sorry to dissapoint you but it's not a valid whack. neither antidisestablishment nor establisment are in the google dictionary, so

ReputationRep:
    that's only because you spelt establishment without the h. so it's not in the dictionary...
    and some muppet didn't spell that correctly on his/her website either.

ReputationRep:
    i like this topical one though: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo lcanoconiosis bestiality

ReputationRep:
    Is it even a word????? :confused:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.