Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The only revision I did for D1 Maths was to bubblesort a pack of jelly babies I had with me at the time into rainbow order..

ReputationRep:
    Having done D1 and D2, and experienced some annoyances, (see this if you've not read it:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/article.php?a=45)

...I feel now that the 2 modules need to be viewed with a little imagination. The algorithms are intended to form the first stage of a computer programming sequence. You have to imagine some of the very tiresome manual processes being performed by computer. The sort algorithms, matching algorithms, and the dreaded Simplex, are all wonderful tools if fed to a computer, but can be instruments of torment if fed to an AL student with pen and paper.

The D1 and D2 papers have to be accepted for what they are - a basically artificial exercise. You would never sort {PEAR, APPLE, BANANA, PEACH} using an algorithm; you would look at the list and write it down in alphabetical order! But this is not the point. The real question is (something like) "How would you teach a computer to sort this list?" ...and that's what you have to keep reminding yourself as you flog through the algorithms.

One of the first bits of programming I learned in C was the bubble sort. It has helped me feel a bit more positive about the D1 chapter on sorting!

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    my favourite maths module, alot of the brainy peeps struggled with this but i found it to be the easiest a level module out of all mine. OCR MEI d1 is the one i did, good bit of coursework in there aswell, so if you really don't like d1 don't do it with ocr mei.
    I did MEI aswell

I didn't have no coursework though, coursework for me is in C3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    Having done D1 and D2, and experienced some annoyances, (see this if you've not read it:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/article.php?a=45)

...I feel now that the 2 modules need to be viewed with a little imagination. The algorithms are intended to form the first stage of a computer programming sequence. You have to imagine some of the very tiresome manual processes being performed by computer. The sort algorithms, matching algorithms, and the dreaded Simplex, are all wonderful tools if fed to a computer, but can be instruments of torment if fed to an AL student with pen and paper.

The D1 and D2 papers have to be accepted for what they are - a basically artificial exercise. You would never sort {PEAR, APPLE, BANANA, PEACH} using an algorithm; you would look at the list and write it down in alphabetical order! But this is not the point. The real question is (something like) "How would you teach a computer to sort this list?" ...and that's what you have to keep reminding yourself as you flog through the algorithms.

One of the first bits of programming I learned in C was the bubble sort. It has helped me feel a bit more positive about the D1 chapter on sorting!

Aitch
    :eek: I tried C programming for 1 week, and liked it but I felt like a computer, and learning all that stuff :rolleyes: (computer language)

I used C programming as a part of my Further math coursework, to generate the prime numbers and fibonacci numbers :rolleyes:
    Got top marks for that!

ReputationRep:
    im doing D1 next year as part of my further maths AS, im actually looking forward 2 it because it's so different from Core maths and Stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velocity)
    im doing D1 next year as part of my further maths AS, im actually looking forward 2 it because it's so different from Core maths and Stats
    wat the holly fuk!!!!11A*'s:eek::eek::eek::eek:crazy man - are are a genius!, or a workoholic!

ReputationRep:
    wat the holly fuk!!!!11A*'scrazy man - are are a genius!, or a workoholic!
    lol the odd thing is that im not a genius or a workoholic ............ it was a crazy miracle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velocity)
    lol the odd thing is that im not a genius or a workoholic ............ it was a crazy miracle
    now now - must not be too modest - 11A*'s rocks:cool:...i only got 4A*'s 5A's and a B in eng lang, lol (i'm happy )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    now now - must not be too modest - 11A*'s rocks:cool:...i only got 4A*'s 5A's and a B in eng lang, lol (i'm happy )
    Hehe. Honestly... such *awful* results :rolleyes: .

ReputationRep:
    i only got 4A*'s 5A's and a B in eng lang
    They are great results too!

I wish i was doing GCSEs again *dreams* they were so much easier than A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    I started it today.
    It is quite an odd module.
    What does everyone think of it?
    its okay. i enjoy all the shortest path stuff like djikstra's algortithim etc. but i really hate critical path. i never understood it cos id missed that lesson, and since then i was doomed. simulation is okay, once u get the hang of it but ovreall i think its different.
    dont make the mistake of hating it u HAVE to enjoy it !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    I started it at the same time I started core 1 back in Spetember, is an awkward module especially if you are a full on pure mathematician, more of a strain to do than statistics, and that is saying something! ...A lot of algorithms and problem solving, I personally wasn't very fond of the flows in networks chapter.

I guarantee it will be an absolute pain doing practice questions, it just takes soooooooo long, that's why if you check the edexcel D1 examination report it says that there was a problem with there being too little time to do all the questions
    What board are you doing your maths in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    I started it today.
    It is quite an odd module.
    What does everyone think of it?
    I agree with what alot of people have already said discrete 1 does not really compete with pure or the other applied modules. I actually enjoy maths so i complained about doing it (and we did D2) because it was so easy, it became boring. Sure it is good bag of ums marks but is it? it is one of the few exams that you actually need more than 80% to get an A, so although it is easy; in the exam you need to be getting it all right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    I used C programming as a part of my Further math coursework, to generate the prime numbers and fibonacci numbers :rolleyes:
    Got top marks for that!
    How did you generate prime numbers :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljfrugn)
    Start at 1, increment by 1 at each iteration, and use a Primality Test.

Lots of links via Google; try this as a starter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number

I can remember writing a Primality test in Excel-VBA. So it doesn't have to be too complicated. I think you could devise a spreadsheet primality test without too much trouble.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljfrugn)
    lolz, prime numbers and fibonacci numbers, using generating algorithms for each.

Theres also a way of generating the fibonacci numbers using Excel, the numbers diverge too fast though, they become incrediblly loooong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    Start at 1, increment by 1 at each iteration, and use a Primality Test.

Lots of links via Google; try this as a starter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number

I can remember writing a Primality test in Excel-VBA. So it doesn't have to be too complicated. I think you could devise a spreadsheet primality test without too much trouble.

Aitch
    Here's a very simple prime number generator with primality test, built in MS Excel. It doesn't go very far, but is intended as an illustration only!

http://www.gwynne4.freeserve.co.uk/download/prime.xls

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Try the attached file, if it works!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip primes.zip (9.7 KB, 47 views)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 3, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.