Turn on thread page Beta

TSR's Penguin Society watch

• View Poll Results: What should happen to the Pingu Soc?
    Thread remains open.
    53.13%
    A new thread is started and Darth is the boss.
    0%
    A new thread in chat.
    15.63%
    A thread is made for Socs forum.
    31.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Twist)
    well done. congrats on doin some h/w.

formation of stars, sound kewl, so tell me how it happens(in simple terms of course) :p:
    OK, well...

You got a really big cloud of space dust called a nebular, and eventually (over a few million years) it forms clumps due to gravity, and these clumps are attracted to each other, so they all clump together to make a Protostar.

If this has enough mass then the protostar will collapse in on itself (due to gravity) and will compress. Thus gravitational potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy (i.e. heat). It gets hot enough to fuse hydrogen, and this fusion slows the contraction. When the outward expansive pressure balances the gravitational collapse it becomes a Main Sequence star.

The star stays in its main sequence state for billions of years, until its supply of hydrogen runs out. Then, based on its mass, it can go one of 2 ways.

i) If the star has a high mass, it will expand hugely to become a massive red giant, followed by a supernova explosion, leaving behind a tiny - but very heavy - neutron star. Very occasionally, this neutron star will collapse even further due to gravity and become a Black Hole. Nothing escapes a black hole, not even light! (Greedy :rolleyes:)

ii)Again, a red giant is formed, but it has insufficient mass to cause a supernova, so eventually the red giant will form a White Dwarf, which after a few years (1000000000 years to be precise) will stop giving off white light, at which point it becomes a black dwarf. This is the route our Sun will follow.

You'd better read that Lucas, cos it took me ages! :hmpf: :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Centipe)
    OK, well...

You got a really big cloud of space dust called a nebular, and eventually (over a few million years) it forms clumps due to gravity, and these clumps are attracted to each other, so they all clump together to make a Protostar.

If this has enough mass then the protostar will collapse in on itself (due to gravity) and will compress. Thus gravitational potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy (i.e. heat). It gets hot enough to fuse hydrogen, and this fusion slows the contraction. When the outward expansive pressure balances the gravitational collapse it becomes a Main Sequence star.

The star stays in its main sequence state for billions of years, until its supply of hydrogen runs out. Then, based on its mass, it can go one of 2 ways.

i) If the star has a high mass, it will expand hugely to become a massive red giant, followed by a supernova explosion, leaving behind a tiny - but very heavy - neutron star. Very occasionally, this neutron star will collapse even further due to gravity and become a Black Hole. Nothing escapes a black hole, not even light! (Greedy :rolleyes:)

ii)Again, a red giant is formed, but it has insufficient mass to cause a supernova, so eventually the red giant will form a White Dwarf, which after a few years (1000000000 years to be precise) will stop giving off white light, at which point it becomes a black dwarf. This is the route our Sun will follow.

well I saw the bold titles, and I remember them, so I kinda of got the idea. :cool: but thanks:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    So who is on half term? Who has just had half term? :p:
    i'm on half term :party:

morning penguins :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneway)
    Im going to cry tonight
    I dont feel the best

QM in 15 mins, hope nigel is on to cheer me up
    hey, didnt watch the game, but did city deserve the draw

at least you've got another shot at it

ReputationRep:
    I love how darth reads through the whole thread to make sure he hasn't missed anything :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    OK, well...

:afraid: ewww physics :hmmm: :hmmm: :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love how darth reads through the whole thread to make sure he hasn't missed anything :rofl:
    lol :p:

i love half term waking up at any hour, with no worries :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yep :top: I wolk up at half 12 yesterday :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Hey hey everyone Just got back from the dreaded school :eek:

ReputationRep:
    awww NC :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threeway)
    awww NC :hugs:
    Lol and what makes it even worse is i have a load of homework and i didnt get to do my rat dissection cos my biology teacher wasnt in :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutchopper)
    Lol and what makes it even worse is i have a load of homework and i didnt get to do my rat dissection cos my biology teacher wasnt in :eek:
    sorry to hear :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hear :hugs:
    Are you on half term then?

ReputationRep:
    27 points off a new gem :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutchopper)
    Are you on half term then?
    indeedy :p:

ReputationRep:
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    :p:

thank you Steve :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Im sorry Although im only worth 17 i think

ReputationRep:
    indeedy :p:
    You lucky thing xD

ReputationRep:
    I'm 62 points off a new gem :O
    You can have mine tonight jACK, though its only worth 20

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.