Turn on thread page Beta

TSR's Penguin Society watch

• View Poll Results: What should happen to the Pingu Soc?
    Thread remains open.
    53.13%
    A new thread is started and Darth is the boss.
    0%
    A new thread in chat.
    15.63%
    A thread is made for Socs forum.
    31.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SketchyCanvas)

lol! headphones? :p: 24/7 bad for you? :confused: is that a song? lol
    hehe no :p: i meant listening to music all the time :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Twist)
    :five:
    but i need to buy new headphones :hmpf: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Twist)
    I listen 24/7 and full volume:cool:
    probably not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Well, you realise your mistake... just try harder next time and make sure you do your best. Its a great satisfaction to know you could not have done any better

and headphones arent bad for you as long as you are sensible with volume I use them all the time. My laptop speakers are rubbish and I don't like to disturb people
    phew :p: ive knicked my sisters phone and she's got some songs on it and i'm always listening to them :p:

i try to be sensible with the volume :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    hehe no :p: i meant listening to music all the time :p:
    Lol :p: its the tiredness lol might go bed soon :sleep:

ReputationRep:
    but i need to buy new headphones :hmpf: lol
    i dont

ReputationRep:
    Lol :p: its the tiredness lol might go bed soon :sleep:
    excuses :flute: :p: hehe i need to do my hw first :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    i dont
    :hmpf: but i'm getting new ones as a bday pressy just have to pick some :p: and im very indecisive lol

ReputationRep:
    excuses :flute: :p: hehe i need to do my hw first :hmmm:
    :hmmm: lol oo homework, forgot about that :banghead: :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    :hmpf: but i'm getting new ones as a bday pressy just have to pick some :p: and im very indecisive lol
    hehe, are they for your phone??

ReputationRep:
    hehe, are they for your phone??
    yeup

ReputationRep:
    i'm off to sleep, night all :ciao: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    hehe well when im not in the penguin society, i'm usually in the sports forum i do browse throught the accademic forum, but more often than not i'm not quick enough to reply!! but it has helped me

stats is blimmin annoying- especially probabilty! i resat stats aswell, and im sure that i did worse in my resit, although im praying otherwise :p: S2 is a bit better cos it has less mumbo jumbo about probability and the testing is different. some trig proofs are good, but the question i was doing was impossible!! ( i later realised that it was to do with small angle thingies which we havent done yet ) let me know when you find out ive got a huge poster in my room, saying 'why are people ashamed of being illiterate and proud of being innumerate!!' :p:

trust me, i dont tend to get things first time round, but after i work at it sometimes it clicks (which feels great ) i've always been motivated by teachers, if the teacher was rubbish i'd fail!! ive done complx numbers, but not done hyperbolic functions yet. i dont see the point in doing taylor series though (maybe cos i cant do them!) but matrices are fun

nasty integrals sounds interesting
    Well I post in F1 thread a lot (obviously) so we should have met really! :p: I was never quick enough either, but the main reason I stopped was because I got fed up of people being arrogant and trying to inflate their own egos :mad: Glad it has helped you though.

I never did stats too... S1 was enough for me. I take it you do further maths then. Matrices are cool... except when they get hard at uni. Taylor series is actually extremely useful, because its a great approximation tool... its never used specifically by itself I wouldn't say, but its very very important for simplifying calculations and getting a feel for what answers should be. Small angles are another approximation.. all fairly easy really... oddly enough its derived from taylor expansion of the trig functions :p: See told you it was useful :rofl: will do.. I've got a similar sign (see attachment)

Nasty integrals are annoying. You only touch the surface of calculus at A-level. When you get onto vector integrals and volume integrals with all sorts of weird and obscure functions... thats when it gets interesting :p:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    i'm off to sleep, night all :ciao: :hugs:
    Goodnight SC :hugs: best of luck for tomorrow... don't worry ok? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    yeup
    what kind of phone have you got?

cya :ciao: nite

good luck tomorow :hugs: good luck to you too jack and everyone else

ReputationRep:
    Well I post in F1 thread a lot (obviously) so we should have met really! :p: I was never quick enough either, but the main reason I stopped was because I got fed up of people being arrogant and trying to inflate their own egos :mad: Glad it has helped you though.

I never did stats too... S1 was enough for me. I take it you do further maths then. Matrices are cool... except when they get hard at uni. Taylor series is actually extremely useful, because its a great approximation tool... its never used specifically by itself I wouldn't say, but its very very important for simplifying calculations and getting a feel for what answers should be. Small angles are another approximation.. all fairly easy really... oddly enough its derived from taylor expansion of the trig functions :p: See told you it was useful :rofl: will do.. I've got a similar sign (see attachment)
    Nasty integrals are annoying. You only touch the surface of calculus at A-level. When you get onto vector integrals and volume integrals with all sorts of weird and obscure functions... thats when it gets interesting :p:
    i post a lot in the football sub forum :p: dont think that ive ever posted in the f1 though! i just ignore the people who are arrogant, but the university maths students are helpful

i have to do S2 i have no choice! yep i do i'm glad i do, because in some way it has helped me in normal maths. i just dont like geometrical intreptrations (sp) of matrices, but because its number crunching it can be fun (and boring :ninja: ) meh, thats what my teacher said ( about the taylor approximation being useful!) my problem is that i understand the concept but cant answer the questions!!! meh, im looking forward to the lesson on small angles now :p: graphically its pretty cool, but meh i wouldnt use the word useful :hmmm: hehe i'm going to print your sign out aswell and stick it up!! its good at scaring everyone out of my room :p:

i hate it when i get integration mixed up with differentiation. nasty integrals, means more satisfaction i think we might be doing volume integrals in C4!

ReputationRep:
    i post a lot in the football sub forum :p: dont think that ive ever posted in the f1 though! i just ignore the people who are arrogant, but the university maths students are helpful

i have to do S2 i have no choice! yep i do i'm glad i do, because in some way it has helped me in normal maths. i just dont like geometrical intreptrations (sp) of matrices, but because its number crunching it can be fun (and boring :ninja: ) meh, thats what my teacher said ( about the taylor approximation being useful!) my problem is that i understand the concept but cant answer the questions!!! meh, im looking forward to the lesson on small angles now :p: graphically its pretty cool, but meh i wouldnt use the word useful :hmmm: hehe i'm going to print your sign out aswell and stick it up!! its good at scaring everyone out of my room :p:

i hate it when i get integration mixed up with differentiation. nasty integrals, means more satisfaction i think we might be doing volume integrals in C4!
    Volume integrals! :eek:

really??? I'd be surprised, thats second term of first year at Ox, so don't think it comes up at A level. It wasnt in my course anyway.

It really is useful I assure you... there are many things in maths/ physics that can't be solved analytically. Its therefore necessary to make assumptions. For example, there are many integrals that simple can't be done, even apparently straightforward ones. This is where all these trig formulas come in. Say you want to integrate cos^2t. You can't do it like that. Its not possible. But stick in the trig relation cos2t=2cos^2-1 and away you go. Its quickly solvable. Thats why all these tricks are so useful, and taylor series is just the same.

and yes the sign is cool :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Volume integrals! :eek:

really??? I'd be surprised, thats second term of first year at Ox, so don't think it comes up at A level. It wasnt in my course anyway.

It really is useful I assure you... there are many things in maths/ physics that can't be solved analytically. Its therefore necessary to make assumptions. For example, there are many integrals that simple can't be done, even apparently straightforward ones. This is where all these trig formulas come in. Say you want to integrate cos^2t. You can't do it like that. Its not possible. But stick in the trig relation cos2t=2cos^2-1 and away you go. Its quickly solvable. Thats why all these tricks are so useful, and taylor series is just the same.

and yes the sign is cool :cool:
    you've scared me now:eek: we havent done it yet, but in my C4 book there is a chapter called further techniques for integration and i'm supposed to now volumes of revolutions, about the x axis.:confused: :ninja:

i think in maths the topics that i dont like, are the ones i cant do :p: i've just being some questions with that trig identity :five: i know its neccesary to make assumptions, but i dont like doing that. there are some assumptions which i dont mind making but it just seems fiddly

hehe *agrees* :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    you've scared me now:eek: we havent done it yet, but in my C4 book there is a chapter called further techniques for integration and i'm supposed to now volumes of revolutions, about the x axis.:confused: :ninja:

i think in maths the topics that i dont like, are the ones i cant do :p: i've just being some questions with that trig identity :five: i know its neccesary to make assumptions, but i dont like doing that. there are some assumptions which i dont mind making but it just seems fiddly

hehe *agrees* :ninja:
    ahhh no no don't worry, volume of revolution is a very easy volume integral. A proper volume integral is where you have multiple integration signs all lined up and integrated over different variables.

Volume of revolution only uses one integral, you basically just have a function, and rotate it about 360 degrees to create a solid shape, if you see what I mean. Its really not that hard, it was P2 in my day.

You really are a true mathematician if you don't like making assumptions, sadly they have to be made occasionally. Though trig identities don't involve making assumptions, they are exact. I never liked them much either at the time. Was always difficult to see what to do. But they make more sense later, they just click and all is well. (thats the plan at least)

ReputationRep:
    ahhh no no don't worry, volume of revolution is a very easy volume integral. A proper volume integral is where you have multiple integration signs all lined up and integrated over different variables.

Volume of revolution only uses one integral, you basically just have a function, and rotate it about 360 degrees to create a solid shape, if you see what I mean. Its really not that hard, it was P2 in my day.

You really are a true mathematician if you don't like making assumptions, sadly they have to be made occasionally. Though trig identities don't involve making assumptions, they are exact. I never liked them much either at the time. Was always difficult to see what to do. But they make more sense later, they just click and all is well. (thats the plan at least)
    phew, you had me worried then :p: so it shouldnt be that hard then?

thankfully i only have to know about it about the x axis and not the y axis!the picture in the book shows me what you mean so in your days :p: did you do P1 P2 P3 P4 S1 and S2??? it must have been difficult then!!

hehe, i'm going to take that as a compliment :ninja: thanks n:p: hehe. with trig identities, you just have to know which is the right one to use! as someone put it today 'they are a load of crap!':eek: (sadly i agreed :p: )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.