Turn on thread page Beta

TSR's Penguin Society watch

• View Poll Results: What should happen to the Pingu Soc?
    Thread remains open.
    53.13%
    A new thread is started and Darth is the boss.
    0%
    A new thread in chat.
    15.63%
    A thread is made for Socs forum.
    31.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Fair enough, ask away.
    have you finished your cw?

*waits for head to be bitten off* :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    have you finished your cw?

*waits for head to be bitten off* :s:
    Yeah, I'd more or less done most of it and was going to finish it off yesterday afternoon when I went to my lecture for that course and the lecturer gave everyone an extension until Monday! :mad: I was really pissed off since I hadn't slept for the past 80 hours doing the fricking work, so I've stopped working on it for now and will just finish it off on the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd more or less done most of it and was going to finish it off yesterday afternoon when I went to my lecture for that course and the lecturer gave everyone an extension until Monday! :mad: I was really pissed off since I hadn't slept for the past 80 hours doing the fricking work, so I've stopped working on it for now and will just finish it off on the weekend.
    it sucks when that happens :hmpf: at least you can get some sleep now

lets carbon freeze your lecturer i hate cw, have one for DE and am clueless as to what to do

hows your day been?

ReputationRep:
    it sucks when that happens :hmpf: at least you can get some sleep now

lets carbon freeze your lecturer i hate cw, have one for DE and am clueless as to what to do

hows your day been?
    I've been alright - I finally went to bed last night and woke up at 5pm today - it was very well deserved sleep. I would generally happily carbon freeze my lecturer, but then my exams wouldn't get marked. :p:

DE? What's that?

Anyhows, my limited day has been alright - I really feel that I should be catching up on notes from people since Uni breaks up tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I've been alright - I finally went to bed last night and woke up at 5pm today - it was very well deserved sleep. I would generally happily carbon freeze my lecturer, but then my exams wouldn't get marked. :p:

DE? What's that?

Anyhows, my limited day has been alright - I really feel that I should be catching up on notes from people since Uni breaks up tomorrow.
    5pm :eek: meh you've beaten my latest time that i woke up :p: i had a good sleep last night aswell, but because of that i had to walk it to college :hmpf:

dont worry about your exams not get marked, i'll deal with it :cool:

differential equations (i think it was known as M3??)

how many weeks of holidays do you get? :hmmm: catching up is never fun, but enjoy! :evil:

ReputationRep:
    Well my exams start in 4 weeks and I have appalling notes, so need to photocopy someone's notes tomorrow. My 'holidays' so to speak are 4 weeks long and I have a hell of a lot of work to do in them if I want to get good grades on my exams, as I'm a lazy bugger and rarely go to lectures and do any work unless it's absolutely necessary.

M3 is mechanics - differential equations can vary, and you'll do first order separable differential equations in P3 (C4 or whatever the **** they've changed the system to make it easy for n00bs! :mad:), and in P4 (FP1) where you do first and second order ODEs or various sorts with solutions on the complex plane. Anyhows, what board are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Well my exams start in 4 weeks and I have appalling notes, so need to photocopy someone's notes tomorrow. My 'holidays' so to speak are 4 weeks long and I have a hell of a lot of work to do in them if I want to get good grades on my exams, as I'm a lazy bugger and rarely go to lectures and do any work unless it's absolutely necessary.

M3 is mechanics - differential equations can vary, and you'll do first order separable differential equations in P3 (C4 or whatever the **** they've changed the system to make it easy for n00bs! :mad:), and in P4 (FP1) where you do first and second order ODEs or various sorts with solutions on the complex plane. Anyhows, what board are you on?
    4 weeks :eek: mine start at the end of may dont you just hate the people who start revising weeks before :p: (not hate hate, but they annoy me!!) good luck with your revision

easy for noobs eh?(tis C4 btw!) ^o) :p: so you're suggesting that it was harder for you?

i'm with OCR MEI so i did first and second order differentials in DE not FP1.

what modules of maths did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I was on Edexcel when I did mine, and I did P1-P6, M1-M3, S1-2 and D1.

Yes, it was harder when people of my 'vintage' did it, since P1-P3 has now been split over 4 modules (C1-C4), so it now counts for 2/3 of an A-Level as opposed to 1/2 and now people only need to take another 2 modules to complete an A-Level in mathematics, so in effects you lot are getting a 'free' module as part of your A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    I was on Edexcel when I did mine, and I did P1-P6, M1-M3, S1-2 and D1.

Yes, it was harder when people of my 'vintage' did it, since P1-P3 has now been split over 4 modules (C1-C4), so it now counts for 2/3 of an A-Level as opposed to 1/2 and now people only need to take another 2 modules to complete an A-Level in mathematics, so in effects you lot are getting a 'free' module as part of your A-Level.
    so you did fmaths aswell :cool:

yep i agree it is 'easier' than when you did it, but i think its easier to teach now (well thats what my maths teacher said )

ReputationRep:
    It's fricking terrible - they've turned Maths A-Level into a piece of rubbish now, since people don't have to do as many applied modules any more. Also, C1 is for complete spacks - it's no more difficult than GCSE Mathematics - anyone who doesn't get near on 100% in it wanting to do Mathematics at a higher level will struggle.

ReputationRep:
    It's fricking terrible - they've turned Maths A-Level into a piece of rubbish now, since people don't have to do as many applied modules any more. Also, C1 is for complete spacks - it's no more difficult than GCSE Mathematics - anyone who doesn't get near on 100% in it wanting to do Mathematics at a higher level will struggle.
    tbh im glad we dont do that many applied modules, cos i prefer the pure ones :p:

C1 was kinda ok, not as different from GCSE as i expected it to be (although i hated the binomial expansion when i started it!)

i think they're thinking of changing the structure of A level maths again :eek:

ReputationRep:
    tbh im glad we dont do that many applied modules, cos i prefer the pure ones :p:

C1 was kinda ok, not as different from GCSE as i expected it to be (although i hated the binomial expansion when i started it!)

i think they're thinking of changing the structure of A level maths again :eek:
    Yeah, I prefer Pure modules too, but that's not the point - they made the exam significantly easier - it doesn't carry the same weight or respect now that it did a few years ago.

I couldn't care less what they do with the school system now - they seem to have done a good enough job buggering it all up already, eg. the introduction of AS levels - what a pointless piece of rubbish - I really wish they had just stuck to the old A-Level system the year before I did my ASs, as it was so much better and properly tested people, plus there was none of this 'dropping a subject' malarkey from lower sixth to upper sixth and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I prefer Pure modules too, but that's not the point - they made the exam significantly easier - it doesn't carry the same weight or respect now that it did a few years ago.

I couldn't care less what they do with the school system now - they seem to have done a good enough job buggering it all up already, eg. the introduction of AS levels - what a pointless piece of rubbish - I really wish they had just stuck to the old A-Level system the year before I did my ASs, as it was so much better and properly tested people, plus there was none of this 'dropping a subject' malarkey from lower sixth to upper sixth and all that jazz.
    ouch, the exams aint that easy:eek:

i think modular exams are good, because they give you a chance to repeat if you mess up. but like you, everyone else seems to think that AS levels are a pile of muck.

so what was it like before? you did a whole A level and you couldnt drop it after half of it??

ReputationRep:
    yay! next week i am off on tuesday and friday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    yay! next week i am off on tuesday and friday!
    how ***? ^o)

hi btw :p: oneway was looking for you before, but seeing that he's gone i'll pass the message

*kicks*

ReputationRep:
    On tuesday the cleaners, caretakers and canteen staff are on strike, and on firday it's a teacher training day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    On tuesday the cleaners, caretakers and canteen staff are on strike, and on firday it's a teacher training day
    :rofl: they're on strike!! what for? :p:

hmmm i think its easter hols next friday (or is it the friday after )

when is it your parents evening? :evil: :p:

ReputationRep:
    ouch, the exams aint that easy:eek:

i think modular exams are good, because they give you a chance to repeat if you mess up. but like you, everyone else seems to think that AS levels are a pile of muck.

so what was it like before? you did a whole A level and you couldnt drop it after half of it??
    Meh, they really are - my teachers were appalled at the reorganisation of Pure into Core - it's fricking atrocious and has devalued the A-Level now.

Well, I preferred the system that my brother sat, ie. the proper A-Level system, where you sat all your exams at the end of Upper Sixth, where you'd only have one chance to get it right, simple as that - the resits things has devalued the whole system since you can repeat something 3 times if you bugger it up - it doesn't have the same impact now, and people can just learn a module, sit it, forget about it and move onto the next one without caring about what they have learnt, whilst the old A-Level system ensured that you had a good knowledge of everything for your final exams, and showed that you were competent throughout the whole subject.

Plus, I don't think that 3 years of consecutive exams (GCSEs, AS Levels, then A2s) are good for people - you need some time to regroup and have time off, eg. Year 10 for me was when most of my GCSE coursework was set so you could get it out of the way and concentrate on your exams in Year 11, and the same would be good and was the case for the old A-Level system in some respects.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, they really are - my teachers were appalled at the reorganisation of Pure into Core - it's fricking atrocious and has devalued the A-Level now.

Well, I preferred the system that my brother sat, ie. the proper A-Level system, where you sat all your exams at the end of Upper Sixth, where you'd only have one chance to get it right, simple as that - the resits things has devalued the whole system since you can repeat something 3 times if you bugger it up - it doesn't have the same impact now, and people can just learn a module, sit it, forget about it and move onto the next one without caring about what they have learnt, whilst the old A-Level system ensured that you had a good knowledge of everything for your final exams, and showed that you were competent throughout the whole subject.

Plus, I don't think that 3 years of consecutive exams (GCSEs, AS Levels, then A2s) are good for people - you need some time to regroup and have time off, eg. Year 10 for me was when most of my GCSE coursework was set so you could get it out of the way and concentrate on your exams in Year 11, and the same would be good and was the case for the old A-Level system in some respects.
    well if you revise for them, then they might be :p:

you cant do that with maths, cos you need knowledge from previous modules. and i think most subjects have a synoptic paper, so you dont forget everything. i think students do seem more relaxed during their first year at college, because they know that they can resit, but what they dont realise is that uni places depend on your AS's

i agree with you on the last paragraph. its ridiculous to have them after each other, and the time in which you're expected to do them in. i'm just coping, but some people cant cope and as a result are messing up. its sucks major style cos in the easter hols (when i should start revising :ninja: ) i'll be doing my cw.

ah well i guess we cant do anything about it :hmpf: blame ruth kelly

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.