The Student Room Group

Exercise questions in A concise intro to pure maths

Hi,

I'm becoming very demoralised for one big reason - exercise problems in A Consise Intro to Pure Maths. I am finding some of them too difficult (i.e. I have been tackling them for a long time with very little progress). Some of the questions seem to go beyond the difficulty of most STEP-I pure maths questions I have come across. Is this just me, or are there any other people find it quite bloody difficult sometimes?
Reply 1
Maths is difficult.
SimonM
Maths is difficult.

I wouldn't have minded it if I did not have to study it for my upcoming maths interview. I'm assuming that the most notoriously difficult problem, one of a completely different league to those I have encountered in the book, will be asked of me. And I will just sit there with a blank expression.

(and maybe cry)
Reply 3
TRStemporaryusername
I wouldn't have minded it if I did not have to study it for my upcoming maths interview. I'm assuming that the most notoriously difficult problem, one of a completely different league to those I have encountered in the book, will be asked of me. And I will just sit there with a blank expression.

(and maybe cry)

I wouldn't worry. The interviewers will guide you through the problem if you find parts of it difficult. They're not there to humiliate you!
Reply 4
SimonM
Maths is difficult.

tru fax

Everyone finds it difficult, and frankly, if you don't find it difficult, you're doing it wrong.
I'm working through it aswell, and I find that the 'spectrum' of difficulty is quite wide. Some questions take a few minutes/seconds :smile: and some take much, much longer. I always end up skipping a few though, but get really happy when I manage to do the last ones from each chapter...

In the end, it does what it says on the Tin really :p: (From the back cover:"...this textbook offer a selection of exercises ranging from routine calculations to quite challenging problems." )

PS: I'm hating the equivalence relation's chapter, especially where it talks about partitions :s-smilie: But I'm slowly working through the exercises...
I often wonder if I'm the only one who finds maths difficult. Threads like this remind me I'm not.
No interviewer will expect you to know any of the info in the Concise Intro to Maths book, just the most basic facts, such as what are natural, rational numbers etc...
And probably not even that !! Whenever you have a Maths interview it will always be about how your mind works, as opposed to how much you know.

The fact that your even looking at those questions before you've reached uni indicate that you should have enough to do well.

Latest