Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    It's very pretty, it's basically york on a smaller scale, a castle and a cathedral, pebbled streets.

Nightlifewise, there's not a lot going on, couple of clubs, few bars, some good shops as well. Not too expensive.

If you like small then you'll like it. The university is on the river that runs through the town, basically in the center.

Lincoln is nice
    Thanks for describing the place to me! I just only been to the uni and not into the city as I said before. I will go to Lincoln during the summer to visit the city.

The campus is very modern to like Hertfordshire and other new universities.

You seem to know a lot about Lincoln. Do you live there?

ReputationRep:
    While you maybe want to go to a rural uni, you still want to go somewhere good and most of the above mentioned (apart from Durham and Lancaster) arent the best. Thinking about it most good unis seem to be in big cities like London, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol etc. Off the top of my head maybe Exeter, its not rural but quite quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln isn't really too big - it has all the amenities of a city but then it is set in lovely countryside. Its very nice there and not too busy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    While you maybe want to go to a rural uni, you still want to go somewhere good and most of the above mentioned (apart from Durham and Lancaster) arent the best. Thinking about it most good unis seem to be in big cities like London, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol etc. Off the top of my head maybe Exeter, its not rural but quite quiet.
    Royal Holloway is excellent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    You seem to know a lot about Lincoln. Do you live there?
    no no, i'm a london girl

my best friend is at lincoln uni (games computing, dosser) so i've been there about five times in two years, considering its a small place i think i've seen all there is to see!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    no no, i'm a london girl

my best friend is at lincoln uni (games computing, dosser) so i've been there about five times in two years, considering its a small place i think i've seen all there is to see!
    Ok then, I thought you lived there in the first place, as you were very familiar with the place. I'm actually looking forward going there for uni! I'm not doing Games Computing though, as it involves loads of programming.

It seems that the degree course (Games Computing) is quite popular in that uni out of all the computing course. During the open day computing tour and talk, most people were interested in Games Computing. I went on another forum, and lots of people applied to Games Computing out of all the computing courses, the second most popular subject seems to be Computer Information Systems. Not much people attended the computing tour/talk though. I guess the computing courses are not that popular in the university. The university is good at journalism and media and those sorts of subjects. I don't think it's a doss though, as I can imagine it being very hard.

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews is in a little town, if you'd consider Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is out in the middle of nowhere and has pretty rural surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    And Exeter, also, is fairly rural. The campus is gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    Swansea University is on the outskirts of the city, surrounded by parkland and practically on the beach! – It’s the 2nd nearest University to the Sea in the world!

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is not rural, it has a population of nearly 80,000!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Kent has the best of both worlds...not too far from the city (Canterbury) but also in very rural surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    Swansea University is on the outskirts of the city, surrounded by parkland and practically on the beach! – It’s the 2nd nearest University to the Sea in the world!
    What is the first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    What is the first?
    maybe bournmouth? just guess though, but it seemed to be pretty close to the sea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    maybe bournmouth? just guess though, but it seemed to be pretty close to the sea...
    Parts of St Andrews were much closer than that to the sea (The School of Economics for example), however it's not a campus university and so it probably doesn't count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    What is the first?
    A University in Texas, USA - not sure of the name.

ReputationRep:
    just ordered the prospectus for all these universities people have mentioned I'd hate to be the postman who delivers to me :evil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    just ordered the prospectus for all these universities people have mentioned I'd hate to be the postman who delivers to me :evil:
    Everyone should take a look at Swansea, and make sure you visit!! the view from campus on a nice day is amazing! you look out onto Swansea bay and the Mumbles (where Catherine Zeta Jones was born and has a house)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    I'd say Kent has the best of both worlds...not too far from the city (Canterbury) but also in very rural surroundings.
    I'd say that about Royal Holloway too, except that it's near London rather than Canterbury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    Everyone should take a look at Swansea, and make sure you visit!! the view from campus on a nice day is amazing! you look out onto Swansea bay and the Mumbles (where Catherine Zeta Jones was born and has a house)
    sounds lovely!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.