Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It has been a long-held ambition of mine to become a University Professor (hence the name lol) and was wondering if anyone else out there has similar ambitions of lecture theatres, oak-pannelled libraries, mad scientists,... as a career.

ReputationRep:
    Me too! Love the whole miss-en-scene and the general presitge which seems to waft around you.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'd love to be a professor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Yep, I'd love to be a professor!
    Aaaawww, well with a Cambridge degree behind you, that will be the best way for a career in academia, I guess.

Ive often thought about whether to go into academia isntead of being a practicing solicitor/barrister. I fluctuate. I suppose it will all depend on whether I reapply for Law or go to Liverpool in Sept (although if I get a 1st at Liverpool I would consider applying to do the BCL or LLM [masters in law] at Oxbridge, which would provide a good route into academia).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Aaaawww, well with a Cambridge degree behind you, that will be the best way for a career in academia, I guess.
    I hope so!

ReputationRep:
    It must be a fantastic feeling putting across all your knowledge to a room full of people, and very satisfying when they learn so sounds like a fab career. I don't think I'd be able to stand in front of loads of people and talk! If you feel you can, then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a secondary school teacher, but I imagine teaching intelligent young adults who actually wanted to learn and would respect you would be pretty cool, so yeah. go for it!

ReputationRep:
    its something i would love to do, but question is how do you go about it, im currently doing an LLB and im planning to do an LLM but apart from that i have no idea wat i need to be a uni lecturer, if anyone does, pls impart your wisdom.

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken briefly Tom Körner (a Maths lecturer at Cambridge) about what it like to be a reseacher/lecturer and he said he loves it, this reinforces my desire to become a Maths researcher. I guess if you're a researcher you have to do some lecturing which would be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    Me too! Love the whole miss-en-scene and the general presitge which seems to waft around you.
    You don't know many profs, do you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I hope so!
    Whhooo! You got in! I told you reapplying would be worth it Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of slowly losing the will to be an academic, the pay is crap and the universities treat you like *****. It's really not the glamorous career many people envisage.

Also to the Cambridge people - get out as soon as you can. Cambridge do not hire professors internally.

ReputationRep:
    However egotistical it sounds, I want to know something one day that nobody else does. I guess in earth sciences there are less people to compete with for this one scrap of knowledge. I'd rather be a researcher than a lecturer, I think it would suck to have to teach all the basics when you want to be writing papers and discovering things.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much university lecturers get paid in the US at private universites? Any links to that type of info? In the UK salaries are appaling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Does anyone know how much university lecturers get paid in the US at private universites? Any links to that type of info? In the UK salaries are appaling.
    I know in the public university I just finished, the starting salary for a liberal arts professor is $60k, and $120k for a professor in the business school. Professors in the top universities get paid about $200-500k a year as far as I know. I had several professors from Britain, so it shouldn't be too hard getting a job here for a Brit like you.

Here are the national statistics, though keep in mind that the average salaries in the major cities are significantly higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I'm kind of slowly losing the will to be an academic, the pay is crap and the universities treat you like *****. It's really not the glamorous career many people envisage.
    He's right u know.
    I've spoken to a few lecturers and careers-wise you have to be so motivated and enjoy ur subject SO much that u dont care about anything else.
    The ones ive spoken to say there are massive rewards but also massive negative points.
    "gulp"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProfessorFitBoy)
    He's right u know.
    I've spoken to a few lecturers and careers-wise you have to be so motivated and enjoy ur subject SO much that u dont care about anything else.
    The ones ive spoken to say there are massive rewards but also massive negative points.
    "gulp"

If i become one id teach at a private uni in the US. Much better pay. Today admin is out of control for lecturers. The best thing about it is that you get paid to do your hobby, also the hours are fairly flexible, as long as you teach 12-16 hrs a week and publish reg they'll not bother you that much. Also there are good opportunites for leave to go and research in other countries.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to my old life! Retrain while you still can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    If i become one id teach at a private uni in the US. Much better pay. Today admin is out of control for lecturers. The best thing about it is that you get paid to do your hobby, also the hours are fairly flexible, as long as you teach 12-16 hrs a week and publish reg they'll not bother you that much. Also there are good opportunites for leave to go and research in other countries.
    At many private colleges you are just a glorified teacher. I would take no joy in being a 'professor' in one of those establishments as the title is meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    At many private colleges you are just a glorified teacher. I would take no joy in being a 'professor' in one of those establishments as the title is meaningless.

Why do the best go there than? Nozick and Friedman for example didn't go state colleges, but Harvard and Chicago respectively. They get better pay, are able to do more research than if they were at a 2 yr college and more prestige usually comes.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.