Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I do believe that another colour may exist, but I am positive that without actually seeing it we have no idea of what it looks like, i.e. we cannot imagine how it might look (and mix together existing colours to create it). This is because the human mind is based on experience.

Realises this was not actually the question.
    yeah could be a colour that we cant even imagine because it has never entered the brain. also ppl who are colour blind may well be seeing the real colours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    yeah could be a colour that we cant even imagine because it has never entered the brain. also ppl who are colour blind may well be seeing the real colours

lol anyone read any Terry Pratchett? Octarine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    lol anyone read any Terry Pratchett? Octarine...
    no why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    perhaps all the sensations we cannot feel, taste, etc. yet would bring us bliss

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you define reality. Colour is simply a way of distinguishing between objects; used by our brains to build complex images. It is our interpretation of light waves of varying wavelength. I think it's arbitrary that we dont utilise sound waves to form some kind of contrasting image (incidentally bats probably do). They are not blind as such, rather they form images using sound waves. Perhaps sound waves of varying frequency are by bats interpreted as 'blues' and 'reds'.

What we see is probably not how the real world looks. It is subject to our own interpretation. Our brain is a filter, allowing us only to see what it wants us to.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you define reality. Colour is simply a way of distinguishing between objects; used by our brains to build complex images. It is our interpretation of light waves of varying wavelength. I think it's arbitrary that we dont utilise sound waves to form some kind of contrasting image (incidentally bats probably do). They are not blind as such, rather they form images using sound waves. Perhaps sound waves of varying frequency are by bats interpreted as 'blues' and 'reds'.

What we see is probably not how the real world looks. It is subject to our own interpretation. Our brain is a filter, allowing us only to see what it wants us to.
    we do hear in depth...quiet, and loud. image is just related to sight
    but think of all the invisible stuff. everything is on a vibration, u know. this is the concept of our individuality, our life purpose, goal, etc. to find the vibrations of the reality that suits our happiness.
    this is what "heaven" is--our vibration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    but think of all the invisible stuff. everything is on a vibration, u know. this is the concept of our individuality, our life purpose, goal, etc. to find the vibrations of the reality that suits our happiness.
    Indeed we do. But the theory goes that bats see in a similar way to us, they just use ears rather than eyes and sound rather than light. Perfectly plausible.

ReputationRep:

yep. an example of this is when i had to study the eye in detail, there are actually tiny blood vessels in eyes in front of the image but the brain blocks these out so we cannot see them (r somethin like dat - does any1 know wot im talkin about)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    yep. an example of this is when i had to study the eye in detail, there are actually tiny blood vessels in eyes in front of the image but the brain blocks these out so we cannot see them (r somethin like dat - does any1 know wot im talkin about)

Are you talking about the blind spot?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed we do. But the theory goes that bads see in a similar way to us, they just use ears rather than eyes and sound rather than light. Perfectly plausible.
    INTERESTING. I wonder what it would be like to be audibly "perfect"...hearing the sounds of the vibrations in all matter. feeling, tasting, smelling.

seems weird to think. if all of our senses were magnified, we wouldn't even need to see. hm, oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    perhaps it was something further back in evolution...i couldn't imagine what it may have been, perhaps something that deals with water vision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    i think evry 1's feelings could be slightly different and some the same. for example some people hate the taste of certain foods whereas some love them. could this be down to the interpretation of taste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    i think evry 1's feelings could be slightly different and some the same. for example some people hate the taste of certain foods whereas some love them. could this be down to the interpretation of taste.
    well this is your body. we are more than our bodies i dont wanna get into this

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about the blind spot?
    no i mean where the imagine is placed in the eye, in front of this there are tiny blood vessels that should appear wiv the image (coz their in front) but the brain blocks these out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    no why

(Octarine is the '8th colour of the rainbow' - you can only see it if you're magically talented, very silly stuff. Apparently it's a sort of greeny-purple...)

I think I remember hearing about those blood vessels somewhere. If I get a minute tomorrow I'll see if I can find anything on it but I'm off to bed now But I do think you're probably right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    are dogs really colour blind . ive heard they are and ive also heard that their not
    As a budding veterinary surgeon I can say that it is not true that dogs are completely colourblind. While dogs do not have the same color vision as humans, they are able to tell yellow from blue. Like a human with red-green colourblindness, they are unable to tell the difference between red and green.
    The reason for this limited range, in both the colourblind human and the dog, is that there are only two kinds of colour receptors in the retinas of their eyes. While most humans have three kinds of colour cells, with three different receptor molecules sensitive to blue, greenish-yellow, and red, dogs only have receptors for yellow and greenish-blue.
    Canine eyes also lack another human trait: the fovea, an area especially dense with detail-sensing cells. As a result, their detail vision is not as good as ours. But they make up for this by having much better night vision and greater sensitivity to movement.
    Hope that that answers the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    As a budding veterinary surgeon I can say that it is not true that dogs are completely colourblind. While dogs do not have the same color vision as humans, they are able to tell yellow from blue. Like a human with red-green colourblindness, they are unable to tell the difference between red and green.
    The reason for this limited range, in both the colourblind human and the dog, is that there are only two kinds of colour receptors in the retinas of their eyes. While most humans have three kinds of colour cells, with three different receptor molecules sensitive to blue, greenish-yellow, and red, dogs only have receptors for yellow and greenish-blue.
    Canine eyes also lack another human trait: the fovea, an area especially dense with detail-sensing cells. As a result, their detail vision is not as good as ours. But they make up for this by having much better night vision and greater sensitivity to movement.
    Hope that that answers the question.
    YEAH it does but im sure when i looked it up on the internet there was a passage with these exact words lol. did u come across same site (even though ive forgot wot its called lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    are dogs really colour blind . ive heard they are and ive also heard that their not
    have you tried asking them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    have you tried asking them?
    i said we should tell them, but someone gave me bad rep on that comment. u should duck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    i said we should tell them, but someone gave me bad rep on that comment. u should duck
    Want me to give you rep? Mine is worth millions. Want some?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.