Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just seeing how many people from :tsr: work, either in a part-time or casual job, whilst at school or university.

Above is a poll where you can select the approximate amount of time you work/have worked whilst at school or uni, during an average week.

For instance I technically have two jobs, I waitress about 8-12 hours per week (although this can REALLY vary - the other week it was close to 18 :eek: ), and work for a promotions company. The jobs, or rather, stints, I get from the promo agency are very random though! They're well paid, but you never know when they'll ring up

Anyway this poll was created for all you fellow students :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I will not be allowed to, by college. Meh the actualy college work is going to be hard enough...

ReputationRep:
    When i first started college my boss refused to believe how many hours i did at college and i ended up doing over 30 hours a week in a "part time" job. Sine then iv found about 12 hours a week is enough to give me enough dosh but allows you to do college work but i guess it depends on your work ethic and how many hours/subjects you do at college. When im at uni i plan to work years 1 and 2, 3rd year will be sandwich year and then work in final year so i can concentrate cos apparently lots of people on my course say its too much working in the final year.

Just wondering how come college dont let you work visesh?

ReputationRep:
    Ooops. Looking for a summer job but don't intend to work during university.

ReputationRep:
    Summer jobs are ok, working durin gmy university, id rather concentrate on my studies and excel.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't worked this year, but I may well work next year because I have so little (read "no") money, plus it'll be good to put an employer as a reference!

ReputationRep:
    oops, by college, I meant my college at uni. It's something to do with an ancient rule or the workload or something...:s:

ReputationRep:
    I worked, started when i was 17 in telesales which wasn't taxing at all...well...maybe thats why i got fired. Pay was ok, enough for a bit of spare cash. This year i aplied about 2-3 months before summer holidays, so i would definitely get a job...worked whilst doing my a-levels...and its tough...but i just had to take sick and i hope i don't get fired (still on probabtion). Working more in summer tho...Oxford St. is gonna be a nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    Most people have to work. I cant ask "mummy and daddy" for money, too old for that lol So you have to work to some extent to pay your expenses-- whether its buying clothes, toiletries, rent, for your car etc I'd love to do extra-curricular activites instead but I got no choice. I'm sure most ppl are in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    I did full-time work over both summers, but no term-time work or work in Christmas or Easter holidays.

ReputationRep:
    I was working about 15/20 hours a weak with at least one night shift during my second year of A levels. I will have to carry on at uni.

ReputationRep:
    My first year at college I started off working 5 hours per week, then I got a new job and was working 21, then after the second term in my second year, for some unknown reason I took on a second part time job and ended up working about 30-35 hours a week on top of full time college. By the time I fininshed college I was knackered! I didn't have a day off in three months. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    I was working about 15/20 hours a weak with at least one night shift during my second year of A levels. I will have to carry on at uni.
    lol weak, you didnt do english i hope i did 6h/week at college, now at 30h/week, cranking it up to 40h/week through the summer

ReputationRep:
    lol weak, you didnt do english i hope
    I did, English as a Foregin Language, they gave up on me and my spelling after a year concuding that I am beyond help .

ReputationRep:
    i worked about 15 hours a week during my first year at college then quit my job halfway through the college year, didnt have another job till the end of my second year (after classes and exams were over) and that lasted through till nearly the end of my third year.. the hours at that job varied from 24-30 hours a week on top of full time college hours, needless to say my grades dropped and i have to try and bring them up now grr :s:

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of getting one but I don't think I'm gonna have time doing 7 AS levels...

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my A Levels and I worked most Saturdays and Sundays and sometimes Friday evenings but never on a school day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm @ college on £30/week thanks to EMA, so there's no need for me to work, but when University comes it may be a different matter, I hope I won't have to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    I'm @ college on £30/week thanks to EMA, so there's no need for me to work, but when University comes it may be a different matter, I hope I won't have to work.
    its alright for some! i didnt qualify for that as it was brought out too late for me, really annoys me how i had to work my ass off (pardon my french) at college and having a job as well that tired me out so i couldnt concentrate on my work while so many students dont even have to work cos the money's just handed to them (well not quite but still it bugs me)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.