Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    reduced memory loss? I need some! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Way I see it: I have a right to put whatever I want into my body, provided it doesn't harm others. Surely if I can legally commit suicide, everything else follows, no matter how bad it is for me.

Whether or not weed is (subjectively) "good" is irrelevent, this is about my rights as an adult to do what I want to myself without being made a criminal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    reduced memory loss? I need some! :rolleyes:
    look, you know what i meant. anyway im not havin a dig at individuals here im just sayin that there are people who, if weed was legalised, would abuse it and get themselves into trouble and not know any better. that would play on my conscience. like someone committing suicide, you affect people around you in whatever you do. its the legalisation that would be the problem, im not tryin to patronise you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alewhey)
    Way I see it: I have a right to put whatever I want into my body, provided it doesn't harm others. Surely if I can legally commit suicide, everything else follows, no matter how bad it is for me.

Whether or not weed is (subjectively) "good" is irrelevent, this is about my rights as an adult to do what I want to myself without being made a criminal.
    Yes, but how far do those individual rights extend? If by smoking weed you're harming yourself and the NHS then has to pay to fix you up, you're not just hurting yourself any more. If (and I'm not overreacting, it does happen) you have mental problems and people have to care for you, you're not just hurting yourself.

I'd also have to correct you on being legally allowed to commit suicide - to be honest, how would prosecuting a dead person help? However, euthanasia (assissted suicide) is a tricky one... without this your rights to die are taken away by law.

That said, the classification system for drugs is horribly misleading at the moment and needs some serious looking into.

ReputationRep:
    i just really dont think its as bad as some of the vices that were currently allowed such as normal smoking and drinking, a joint with mates is cool, its just a certain type of person, the stereotype stoner gives weed a bad image, not because the drug is bad, but because the person is weak because they do not know how to manage the drug. Rule #1 Do whatever you need to do for the day first and then give yourself a good 6-8 hour window of nothingness if you wanna have a smoke. if youve got that amount of time, and youre not too bothered about your lungs, then theres no harm

ReputationRep:
    It is useless arguing the point because no doubt someone will take it ad absurdem and concoct some completly unrealistic hypothetical situation...but the NHS at the moment has to treat people who suffer from self inflicted harm, whether they are mentally ill or otherwise, there is no point arguing about the NHS in this, because their stance is clear. They will (or should) treat a person who got cancer from smoking cannabis no differently from someone who got cancer and did not smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    i just really dont think its as bad as some of the vices that were currently allowed such as normal smoking and drinking, a joint with mates is cool, its just a certain type of person, the stereotype stoner gives weed a bad image, not because the drug is bad, but because the person is weak because they do not know how to manage the drug. Rule #1 Do whatever you need to do for the day first and then give yourself a good 6-8 hour window of nothingness if you wanna have a smoke. if youve got that amount of time, and youre not too bothered about your lungs, then theres no harm
    but anti-drug laws are specifically designed to protect the "weak" people you just described, legalisation may not afect you in any way and it seems that weed being illegal doesnt really matter anyway, everyone can do it whenever, but the fact of the matter is that weed can harm people and its very deceptive, people dont realise its bad for you and legalisation would send out the wrong message and encourage over-use and health problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telecastro_59)
    but anti-drug laws are specifically designed to protect the "weak" people you just described, legalisation may not afect you in any way and it seems that weed being illegal doesnt really matter anyway, everyone can do it whenever, but the fact of the matter is that weed can harm people and its very deceptive, people dont realise its bad for you and legalisation would send out the wrong message and encourage over-use and health problems
    Now thats an argument, take note billistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    Now thats an argument, take note billistic
    many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alewhey)

I agree with the post. But self-harm and suicide are illegal. If they werent illegal, then it would be hard for cannabis to remain illegal.

(Original post by telecastro_59)
    look, you know what i meant. anyway im not havin a dig at individuals here im just sayin that there are people who, if weed was legalised, would abuse it and get themselves into trouble and not know any better. that would play on my conscience. like someone committing suicide, you affect people around you in whatever you do. its the legalisation that would be the problem, im not tryin to patronise you
    My post wasnt at all helpful or constructive. It didnt help propel the argument forward. I was just being ironic old me. I knew what you meant.

People abuse alcohol which is legal. People abuse weed now that it is illegal.

(Original post by skevvybritt)
    Yes, but how far do those individual rights extend? If by smoking weed you're harming yourself and the NHS then has to pay to fix you up, you're not just hurting yourself any more. If (and I'm not overreacting, it does happen) you have mental problems and people have to care for you, you're not just hurting yourself.
    As responsible adults, can we not be left, as we are with alcohol and cigarettes, to decide how much we take?
    There are very high taxes on cigs and alcohol. Does that not go towards paying for their health care?

seems that weed being illegal doesnt really matter anyway, everyone can do it whenever, but the fact of the matter is that weed can harm people and its very deceptive, people dont realise its bad for you and legalisation would send out the wrong message and encourage over-use and health problems
    weed will be smoked by those who want to. So why not, seeing as ts effects on society are no worse than existing legal drugs, legalise and tax it?

the only problem i have with weed being legalised is the point you make next. It sends out the wrong message.
    I have yet to overcome that satisfactorily, but can (still) point to the fact that alcohol is legal.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom! None of my business what you do in your garden or whether it affects your health, just keep the noise down please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Freedom! None of my business what you do in your garden or whether it affects your health, just keep the noise down please.
    agreed. Though, it turned my uncle into a "manic- depressive with psychotic tendencies"- havent seen him since he was sectioned.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    agreed. Though, it turned my uncle into a "manic- depressive with psychotic tendencies"- havent seen him since he was sectioned.......

Are you sure its not genetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    Just picked up quite a bit of weed and i must say not much is better than sitting in your garden smoking a few joints with your mates; i personally think its a lot less dangerous than alcohol and has a more pacifying effect on you whereas alcohol makes you aggressive, does anyone agree that it should be legalised or am i just some radical pothead in the middle of a dream ? :P :tsr:
    It should CERTAINLY be legalised as:

a) Criminilising it wastes police resources
    b) Locking up people who use/sell weed wastes PRISON resources
    c) Criminilising it doesnt stop its availability or use to any significant extent
    d) It allows illegal syndicates and criminals a source of funding
    e) It forgoes a large amount of tax revneue
    f) It does not drive people to crime as some other drugs do, as it doesnt engender a physical dependence
    g) It is utterly illiberal to prevent people from using it in a way that doesnt harm others
    h) the argument that it harms children is irrelevant, one can let it remain illegal for underage use as with alcohol.

I have yet to hear a decent argument against its de-criminlisation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    it doesnt engender a physical dependence
    Is there any evidence for that?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the post. But self-harm and suicide are illegal. If they werent illegal, then it would be hard for cannabis to remain illegal.
    Those are vesitages of a less enlightened time. And Im not sure that suicide IS still illegal ... I cant recall though.

Harming yourself is not illegal per se... eating too much red meat is not a criminal offence.

People abuse alcohol which is legal. People abuse weed now that it is illegal.
    Fact is that it isnt the governments job to nanny people. If adults want to smoke weed, its not my place to tell them they cant. When they start to harm others, then we step in.

As responsible adults, can we not be left, as we are with alcohol and cigarettes, to decide how much we take?
    There are very high taxes on cigs and alcohol. Does that not go towards paying for their health care?
    Yes - the tax on cigarettes more than pays for the cost to the NHS. The same could easily be done for weed. Indeed, the fact that the government gains NO revenue from it at present but DOES pay for the treatment is all the MORE reason to legalise it.

the only problem i have with weed being legalised is the point you make next. It sends out the wrong message.
    I have yet to overcome that satisfactorily, but can (still) point to the fact that alcohol is legal.
    The wrong message? Thats just tough... people should be sensible. If they see decriminalisation as carte blanche to go nuts and smoke themselves into a stuper, then thats their business. We shouldnt criminalise something because a few people are morons and look to the penal code for their cue about what drugs to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Is there any evidence for that?
    Pretty mucf. There is a general consensus that it can be habit forming, but does not cause withdrawl and physical dependence. It was re-itterated on the Panorama episode the other week.

ReputationRep:
    I am totally against the legalisation of drugs like Cocaine, because they are physically addictive, and often lead to burglary etc to fund habits.
    What about gambling?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it does. The taxation argument is the strongest point for the legalisation of cannabis - and to be honset, I agree that it should be legalised if alcohol and cigarettes are legal. As I said at the end of my previous post the classification system is misleading - it suggests that cannabis does more harm than cigarettes and alcohol, which is frankly ridiculous. However, the argument 'it's my life and I can do what I want with it' is useless because of reasons previously mentioned - it does harm others and you cannot escape that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    And Im not sure that suicide IS still illegal ... I cant recall though.
    Suicide has been legalised contrary to Suicide Act 1961, s.1. However, nobody can consent to their own killing as this will still be murder unless circumstances allow for defences to be used.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Harming yourself is not illegal per se... eating too much red meat is not a criminal offence.
    Let's not forget professional boxing, sado-masochism and branding which I'm sure plenty of former LLB'ers would have come across when discussing harm and consent in their criminal law module.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.